Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 06:42   #2056
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
This is a wonderful tournament which was formed. When at its infancy people were curious on its success. Now that it has met a lot of expectations everyone wants a pie of it!

Enjoy the game! Exam papers are leaked and people make money on that. So do we ban exams?

BCCI has to get some transparency into the way it operates. Govt dont kill this game ALSO
It is Tax they are talking about and the Govt deserves this.
Old 20th April 2010, 08:50   #2057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
I appreciate you taking the time to explain things to me. I won't be surprised at all if there is large scale betting going on. But, I am still not convinced that all the top players from around the world are involved in fixing the results.
Sir, its not that difficult to understand if you sit and think about it. Its NOT cricket, its just entertainment in the name of cricket. Most of the international players who were not being picked in their national side have now retired because the money is too big a lure to not fall for. There is no national pride and even if they have some, the team franchises who have invested million of dollars will make sure they get the payback, the sooner the better and fixing matches gives them the opportunity.

Have you seen WWF and saw the mighty Khali being beaten out of the blue by someone you though wasnt good enough? Its the same here and like WWF this is also entertainment. But then again as long as you are enjoying it, doesnt really matter. If you ask me, I cannot enjoy a sport which 99% entertainment and 1% sport, there is no skill, no pride, no application just slam bang action and that too is just one sided.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 20th April 2010 at 08:51.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:00   #2058
Senior - BHPian

I pity people for their innocence, when they think IPL has anything to do except cricket. The game is just the poster boy presented to us innocent, 9 to 5 beings. There are a lot of behind the scene activities where there is a lot of money involved. Unfortunately for us commoners, this world has become a place of large scale deception, where everyone is being deceived some or the other way. Cricket is a religion in our country and it is being used to mint mint mint since a long long time.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:17   #2059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Sir, its not that difficult to understand if you sit and think about it. Its NOT cricket, its just entertainment in the name of cricket. Most of the international players who were not being picked in their national side have now retired because the money is too big a lure to not fall for. There is no national pride and even if they have some, the team franchises who have invested million of dollars will make sure they get the payback, the sooner the better and fixing matches gives them the opportunity.

Have you seen WWF and saw the mighty Khali being beaten out of the blue by someone you though wasnt good enough? Its the same here and like WWF this is also entertainment. But then again as long as you are enjoying it, doesnt really matter. If you ask me, I cannot enjoy a sport which 99% entertainment and 1% sport, there is no skill, no pride, no application just slam bang action and that too is just one sided.
Your argument revolves around there being a lot of money in betting, the players not having any national pride, and the franchises being forced to take the fixing route to recoup their investments. Even if all of that is true, you have only established probable cause. No crime yet.

About your other paragraph, what kinds of sports you enjoy is your prerogative. I believe 100% entertainment and 100% sport can go hand in hand. You don't. Let's leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I pity people for their innocence, when they think IPL has anything to do except cricket. The game is just the poster boy presented to us innocent, 9 to 5 beings. There are a lot of behind the scene activities where there is a lot of money involved. Unfortunately for us commoners, this world has become a place of large scale deception, where everyone is being deceived some or the other way. Cricket is a religion in our country and it is being used to mint mint mint since a long long time.
Clearly, you were able to see through the IPL's deception. I wasn't

Last edited by tacho : 20th April 2010 at 09:21.
Old 20th April 2010, 09:46   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your argument revolves around there being a lot of money in betting, the players not having any national pride, and the franchises being forced to take the fixing route to recoup their investments. Even if all of that is true, you have only established probable cause. No crime yet.
The point is you will never be able to know what goes on behind the scenes so it will always be open for speculation and will remains a 'cause' but my understanding is that betting and match fixing has to be there if the franchises are to make any profit and profit here is a relative term, in the sense that first it has to payback the initial high investment and then turn profitable.

Do you really think the franchises like UB group will waste so much of their valuable time and energy on something which gives them a profit of 8-10 crores every year. Heck the Royal Challengers didnt even make any profits in the first year! So the argument that franchises are forced to take the fixing route isnt really true. As far as my understanding goes, they probably already knew this route and since the paybacks are far greater than the investments, the newer franchises want to come in at whatever cost.

I mean 1700 crores for a team who plays a sport which is played by only 9-10 countries in the world and the major one's apart from India include Sri Lanka and Pakistan, not the economies which would pump in any money. Australia has a lot of other sports than cricket in which they are good and England doesnt care as much about cricket as they do for football. So in essence all the payback has to come from India alone. Does it makes any real business sense to invest so much unless black money and betting is involved?
Old 20th April 2010, 10:07   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I mean 1700 crores for a team who plays a sport which is played by only 9-10 countries in the world and the major one's apart from India include Sri Lanka and Pakistan, not the economies which would pump in any money. Australia has a lot of other sports than cricket in which they are good and England doesnt care as much about cricket as they do for football. So in essence all the payback has to come from India alone. Does it makes any real business sense to invest so much unless black money and betting is involved?
So, what price should a franchise be bought for, for you to believe that it makes business sense legally? 10 crores? 100 crores? Just curious
Old 20th April 2010, 10:55   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, what price should a franchise be bought for, for you to believe that it makes business sense legally? 10 crores? 100 crores? Just curious
If you can answer all the questions that I put up in my previous post, you will have an idea.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:22   #2063
BHPian

Quote:

lol! that got me ROFL. Seriously does anyone have any proof of how there is betting/matchfixing? One might have a feeling that all this much money means someone is having a laugh- but hey, a small arms sourcing contract by the army, will cost the same amount, or a small power project - these are all assigned by the government to private players with semi-transparent bidding criteria. Why the hue and cry that we have been cheated? watch the game; if the player you loved or team you loved fixed the match, then don't support the team and the player anymore. That is sufficient payback. After all it is not compulsory to support a team, is it, or to watch IPL?

And to close the loop, do note that BCCI is not a government body.
Old 20th April 2010, 11:53   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Also note that there are government officials/ministers are involved. Who are supposed to serve us and not get involved in scandals.

Quote:
Clearly, you were able to see through the IPL's deception. I wasn't
Its your choice if you want to stay in Disneyland. Ignorance is Bliss afterall.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 20th April 2010 at 12:02.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:05   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
lol! that got me ROFL. Seriously does anyone have any proof of how there is betting/matchfixing? One might have a feeling that all this much money means someone is having a laugh- but hey, a small arms sourcing contract by the army, will cost the same amount, or a small power project - these are all assigned by the government to private players with semi-transparent bidding criteria. Why the hue and cry that we have been cheated? watch the game; if the player you loved or team you loved fixed the match, then don't support the team and the player anymore. That is sufficient payback. After all it is not compulsory to support a team, is it, or to watch IPL?

If there were proofs there would have been no IPL. When money to the tune of thousands of crores is involved, it is fair to assume that everything would be air tight. When all of them including the governing body, the media, the politicians and the franchises, are making money who do you think spill the beans?
Have you watched Zee News lately. They are quick to pounce on anything -ve IPL but then they have their own propaganda. Their rift with the BCCI regarding the ICL... rings a bell?

I dont have any problem with this format or the entertainment it provides per se but since everyone is busy making money including the media, the real issues are currently being ignored. We have even forgotten the deplorable conditions our security forces are living and the recent Dantewada massacre simply because they havent got as much coverage.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:11   #2066
Senior - BHPian

If there is no big money involved, why do politicians and industrial bigwigs want to sit on BCCI? To serve the public? Why don't these worthies go and grace the governing bodies of, say, hockey or volleyball?

Allegations of betting and match fixing can't be wished away. Remember, fixing and throwing a match is much easier in IPL as there is no national pride involved.

If there is no transparency in team ownership, tomorrow the taliban or al-qaeda can own a team and generate the money needed to wreak havoc in India, from the people of India itself!

And what can one say about the Govt cutting food subsidies for the poor with one hand, but extending tax breaks for IPL with the other?

Last edited by Gansan : 20th April 2010 at 12:14.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:45   #2067
Senior - BHPian

Betting and match fixing is a very important part of IPL.
Its easier cos there is no regulation or checks from ICC as IPL is a domestic tournament and BCCI can do whatever it wants within it. I am related to few people who are related with IPL and each one of them knows almost every match is fixed.

However if common man is happy seeing the entertainment whats the harm Let people enjoy and others ean money from the enjoyment.Hasn't that been the story of this country?

Last edited by Dippy : 21st April 2010 at 11:14. Reason: Correcting Spelling - easier
Old 20th April 2010, 12:58   #2068
BHPian

Here's more news on betting

- £2m bets in UK, Rs 5000cr in India on IPL, Times of India

- Lalit Modi involved in betting, murky deals: I-T report

Last edited by rajivn : 20th April 2010 at 13:02.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:57   #2069
Senior - BHPian

It would be foolish not to get into betting with something as big as IPL. Its easy money.
Old 20th April 2010, 16:08   #2070
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Go through the tehlaka report

Here is link to the tehlka report on IPL

Tehelka - India's Independent Weekly News Magazine

See today ET. It shows how Modi owns Rajasthan royals.

this year most probably MI will win. next year another team. so in 8-10 years all teams will win once.then the cycle will repeat itself. In such scenario all the teams will benefit and it will be democratic also.

Last edited by rkg : 20th April 2010 at 16:12.

Most Viewed