Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 11:27   #1
BHPian

Do ads work as an influencer

hi,
Me coming from advertising would love to have a feedback on if ads on tv/newspaper etc really make a person decide on a car or does it only help in getting the brand in the consideration set.

Some of the Tag lines:

Grand Vitara
Play it you Way

Honda CRV
Feel The Rev

Captiva
Choose Your Turf

Ford Endeavour
Magnify the Adventure

WagonR
For the Smarter Race

Alto
Let's Go

Santro
Drive Your Way

Getz
Drive Global

Accent
The next Generation Diesel Car

Ford
Go Fida!

shall update more.
keep it rolling!
Old 11th April 2008, 11:48   #2
BANNED

CITY ZX
OUTPERFORM

Civic
Pure Exhilaration

Old 11th April 2008, 11:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

For a common man, I am sure the ads have a great impact, but certainly not the deciding factor for a car purchase. Word of mouth about the car's reliability, FE & the dealership experience matter most.

Indica
More car per car
More dreams per car
Old 11th April 2008, 11:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Radhika, its a nice thread. I am surprised that this has not been discussed here before.

My personal opinion is that I have never been influenced enough by any auto ad for me to buy a product. I have been involved in the buying decisions of two cars and a bike till date and I cant even recall the ad for these cars. I am currently contemplating buying another one and the only Ad that I have looked at is the print Ad that mentions the discounts.

Car is too big a purchase and I would rather prefer gathering intelligence over the web and personally feeling the car before shelling amount a huge amount. Ads did not work on me.

Last edited by Eddy : 11th April 2008 at 12:01.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:00   #5
BHPian

I would say ads brings brand awareness amongst the target audience.

Good ads do make people think of those cars & also might make them take a TD. post that point I don't think the ads would influence the actual buying decision.

Most of the fancy tag lines doesn't match the cars. Few people who actually purchase the cars might feel that they fit into the tag line, post-purchase.
cheers:
Old 11th April 2008, 12:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

The visual and audio part does some impact to many.

Love the old Safari Dicor advt, the video and the music and the other one in which they talk about 'lines'.

Think this thread should be in Shifting Gears.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

I do not usually get influnced by these things. I feel, its nothing but a marketing gimmick to sell there products better. But yes, my son will get influenced by seeing the junk food advertisements on TV.
Old 11th April 2008, 12:41   #8
BHPian

Ads & their influence

Good ads, have initiated a newer level of awareness about the product.

Tata Safari - Reclaim your life - shall remain a perfect example.

In my limited understanding, successful ads do one or both of the following...

1. Educate the audience on product features & applications

OR

2. Create aspirations amongst audience to own the product.

Did David.Aaker say this " Your as good as the brand you portray..."

Hey Radhika...your independent views will also help this audience.

Cheers
Old 11th April 2008, 12:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good ads definitely would have an impact.It could be negative or positive impact as to what the adv tells.Some people looked at the estilo advt as negative in the sense that the papa lost his child because of the attraction in the car,lol.So advts definitely has an impact and it would also caterer to the brand building exercise too.
Think about the Pepsi advt -nothing official about it.Most praised advt in those times.
ram
Old 11th April 2008, 13:04   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Good ads definitely would have an impact.It could be negative or positive impact as to what the adv tells.Some people looked at the estilo advt as negative in the sense that the papa lost his child because of the attraction in the car,lol.So advts definitely has an impact and it would also caterer to the brand building exercise too.
Think about the Pepsi advt -nothing official about it.Most praised advt in those times.
ram
Don't tell me someone decided not to buy the Estilo because he thought he would lose his child. Thats plain stupid of the guy.

Pepsi and other FMCG goods are a different ball game altogether and Ads work much more for them
Old 11th April 2008, 13:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
ram
The point is did you buy Pepsi only because of that ad? or did you buy Pepsi because you thought its good?

We all like some ads, but do we really buy a product because we like its ad?
cheers:
Old 11th April 2008, 13:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Even though i have seen the safari ad so many times and still i like to see it one more time..But it doesn't influence me to buy it..
Old 11th April 2008, 13:23   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectix 1st View Post
The point is did you buy Pepsi only because of that ad? or did you buy Pepsi because you thought its good?

We all like some ads, but do we really buy a product because we like its ad?
cheers:
As I said, for relatively smaller purchases, Ads do work. I bought a pepsi because it had a recall value (because of the ad) when I felt the need to drink a soft drink even though I was not sure that I would like it. It was a risk, but since the amount involved was small, I went ahead.

But that will not happen in case of cars.
Old 11th April 2008, 13:27   #14
BHPian

No car ad will ever influence me to buy one and, if I may be bold enough, anyone who is a car lover or understands cars (their priorities are simple different)

What might actually influence people are the print ads that say Rs. xxxx discount, or 0 down payment or 0% interest!
Old 11th April 2008, 13:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
No car ad will ever influence me to buy one and, if I may be bold enough, anyone who is a car lover or understands cars (their priorities are simple different)

What might actually influence people are the print ads that say Rs. xxxx discount, or 0 down payment or 0% interest!
. Even the sprite and mountain dew advt in TV will not influence me to buy the product. But if there are any advts like the discounts in food grain prices (like rice, wheat, sugar etc) / hotels / garments etc will certainly influence to have a re-look into the advts and may be visit the shops and ultimately buy the goods.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks