Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 21:04   #16
BHPian

Its happened to me a zillion times . I stop for a red light on all occasions unless the road is deserted - like at 1AM in the night .

I have been rudely told to either get going or move over . After a few times , I decided there is no point telling them anything . I stop for the light . If someone wants to jump the signal and honk at me , I try to move over and let them pass . If that is not possible. I just ignore them and sit there .
Old 5th May 2008, 21:29   #17
BHPian

I must admit...I am a sadist! and it gives me immense pleasure to irritate people...specially when I am responsible for them not being able to jump the red signal

Also at times when they really get on my nerves, I tell them "zaada jaldi hai to neeche se chale jao bhai"

Regards,
Old 5th May 2008, 21:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Also at times when they really get on my nerves, I tell them "zaada jaldi hai to neeche se chale jao bhai"
Same story. Some hero driving a Getz wanted me to move from the lights (with 18 seconds left on the timer). I release the seat belt,lean outside,and asked the guy to drive over my car if he was in such a hurry. Almost everyone around us broke into a hysteric laughter.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
T Finally out of frustration, I got out of the car and went and caught hold of that guys collar and told him that the next time he honks my wheel spanner will be having a short visit with his face .
Though a lot of us believe in following the rules, one cannot help but break them at times out of pure concern for your own safety caused by those who have no respect for the law.
Hmmm, being forced to break a traffic rule or actually threatening bodily harm! No self righteousness in either actions.

If you did not think of your safety when trying to assault the guy behind, why are you willing to break traffic rules for your safety
Old 5th May 2008, 23:09   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Hmmm, being forced to break a traffic rule or actually threatening bodily harm! No self righteousness in either actions.

If you did not think of your safety when trying to assault the guy behind, why are you willing to break traffic rules for your safety
Ajit, I waited patiently in front with that lousy driver honking for over a minute. The signal was about 180 secs long. He started honking and tryin to inch closer to my car trying to squeeze past. When the honking crossed over a minute and he started inching way close to my comfort I had to take some action. In the meantime I pointed at the red light to him and asked him to wait. He didn't listen. Besides, I wasn't alone in the car and everyone around us were highly irritated with him as well. He got quite an earful from all vehicles around us. We never intended to get into a physical fight, but this guy had to be taught a lesson and there was no other way he'd understand (before he did any harm by nudging one of us).

Few other people also came by to give this guy a piece of their mind. Its just that I happened to get there first. Let me just add that I didn't/will not budge even at midnight to skip a red light. I just quoted that at times one is forced to (in general). Till date haven't actually gotten to do that.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 5th May 2008 at 23:11.
Old 5th May 2008, 23:55   #21
BHPian

Reversing at traffic lights.

The moment someone honks at red lights from behind. I look over to see whether he is gesturing at a flat tire or an open door.
Once I am convinced that it is because he is impatient I put on reverse gear and go back till its inches from his vehicle. This maneuver has always stopped the honking immediately especially when I had the Premier Padmini.
If ever any guy continues to honk I intend to get out of the car and ask him to push the car feigning that the car has conked out and since I use the Junkindica in the city these days they are more than likely to believe that the car has given up the ghost.
I have never had to do this as the first maneuver of reversing has always driven home the point to even idiots with white amby's with flashing red lights on the top.
P.S You can always tell by the expression on the guys face whether he is in a genuine need to reach some place urgently for which I am accommodating to the core. Go through this thread too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...omments-2.html

Last edited by drpullockaran : 6th May 2008 at 00:05.
Old 6th May 2008, 00:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
True, exactly the same thing happens here in Pune. They all wait for some 'brave' Pied Piper to jump the signal and follw him like a bunch of blind rats.

What is more annoyinh is that once the signal turns green, the idiots don't give way, and thats when I my jeep comes in handy. I have scraped some cars this way.
I always admire of having a jeep (trax, mahindra anything will do..) to scrape such idiots. Add to these those driving at 10 kmph on right most lane of a 6 lane road having no right turns within 2 kms.
I am happy that some one is actually doing this
Old 6th May 2008, 09:56   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ajit, I waited patiently in front with that lousy driver honking for over a minute. The signal was about 180 secs long. He started honking and tryin to inch closer to my car trying to squeeze past. When the honking crossed over a minute and he started inching way close to my comfort I had to take some action. In the meantime I pointed at the red light to him and asked him to wait. He didn't listen. Besides, I wasn't alone in the car and everyone around us were highly irritated with him as well. He got quite an earful from all vehicles around us. We never intended to get into a physical fight, but this guy had to be taught a lesson and there was no other way he'd understand (before he did any harm by nudging one of us).

Few other people also came by to give this guy a piece of their mind. Its just that I happened to get there first. Let me just add that I didn't/will not budge even at midnight to skip a red light. I just quoted that at times one is forced to (in general). Till date haven't actually gotten to do that.
I think what you did was right. I might not have actually got out of the car to threaten him ( am too scared of the rowdy types who at a moment's notice can summon a small army). But if you werent alone and you had support from other people at the signal, what you did was good.
Old 6th May 2008, 12:34   #24
BHPian

I feel so happy starting this thread. Reading your thoughts gives me enough confidence / will to continue following the rules.

Another plight I have seen is of pedestrians trying to cross signal. Agreed there are enough people who will run across the road at red when vehicles are zooming past. I am talking about people who really want to follow the rules but cannot because the vehicles will stop after the zebra crossing in the 1st place and start moving when it is green for pedastrians. Once it happened to me in koramangala signal opposite to Forum (Bangloreans would know this signal very well). It was GO for pedastrians from but the vehicles who have to take a right there from Koramangala did not stop even after 7-8 seconds. So I started walking since the vehicles were slow to take the turn. A HUNK in a green cedia / lancer (am not sure)came honking and braked just in front of me. There a collective shout from the pedestrians who thought this guy might not brake and hit me. The hunk continued to honk but I stood my ground and showed him the signal. By that time the pedastrians also walked and the hunk had no other choice but to wait till we all crossed. My wife who had crossed the road sometime back gave me nicely for putting my life at risk but was happy that I stood for my right.

I have so many such experiences that I can write pages but wouldn't bore you guys since all of you at some point of time would have had similar experiences.

Thiyags
Old 6th May 2008, 14:25   #25
Team-BHP Support

Should one follow traffic rules/lights at the cost of getting abused?

YES.

A movie quote
Lion of the Desert (1981)

[Omar Mukhtar protects two surviving Italian soldiers]
Omar Mukhtar: We do not kill *prisoners*!
Arab Warrior: *They* do it to *us*!
Omar Mukhtar: "They" are not our *teachers!*
Old 6th May 2008, 15:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

I try to do my best to mow down bikers who, in their eagerness to get to the front of the traffic signal queue, spill over to the wrong side of the road!! Alas, they promptly go back to the right side of the road when they see me heading at them with hi beam on and horn blaring.
Old 6th May 2008, 15:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, common place here too.

Quote:
Finally out of frustration, I got out of the car and went and caught hold of that guys collar and told him that the next time he honks my wheel spanner will be having a short visit with his face .
This guy must have been HUGE.
Old 6th May 2008, 15:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

I think irrespective of the place it does happen in India quite often in almost every city. Its a big menace here in Bangalore and i concur with my fellow bangy boys as its such a nuisance @ almost every signal stop including high density and presumably better monitored signal stops as well. Wish people care for safety and lives rather than a trivial thing of saving a minute or two.
Quite ironically compared to Mumbai where i did drive quite a bit, i found out people are a lot more patient and respect the signals and this comparison is just between bangy and mumbai and my version and surely others might have go a different story.
Old 6th May 2008, 16:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I try to do my best to mow down bikers who, in their eagerness to get to the front of the traffic signal queue, spill over to the wrong side of the road!! Alas, they promptly go back to the right side of the road when they see me heading at them with hi beam on and horn blaring.
Spadival, that was hilarious!!!

I do this everyday on Lulla nagar - Kondhwa road. There are so many bikers who come directly into my lane from the opposite side. I switch on my projectors and hi-beam and go at them in high speed, with my horns blaring! I really enjoy seeing those morons get really scared and cut back into their lane, in less than a second!!!

I have installed a crash guard on my Chevy just for this purpose!
Old 6th May 2008, 16:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Spadival, that was hilarious!!!

I do this everyday on Lulla nagar - Kondhwa road. There are so many bikers who come directly into my lane from the opposite side. I switch on my projectors and hi-beam and go at them in high speed, with my horns blaring! I really enjoy seeing those morons get really scared and cut back into their lane, in less than a second!!!

I have installed a crash guard on my Chevy just for this purpose!
Thats an effective way to send the bikers(read them as fill in the blanks guys on roads) to their lanes. But do be careful brother as you might be in control of your vehicle ( as you mentioned high speed) while the others barging against you might not be experts and might result in something unfortunate, as i witnessed such an incident where the biker panicked and had a nasty fall with some injuries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks