Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 14:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
I am one of the unfortunate lot who dont have a covered parking.
Worst part is that I even dont have covered parking in my office as well....
So, my Swift is open to natural elements 24*7....rain and sun.

I would like to know,

1. How much this will impact on interiors (dashboard specially)
2. What impact on exterior (paint and rubber)
3. Precuations to take

I usually polish the dashboard and vinyl parts with Waxpol every month and
fortunately this has kept them shining without any fading. Do I need any special care for outer body like wax polish or any polish which will protect from UV rays (please let me know product name)
The service advisor at my Hyundai Service Centre suggested wax polish once in 6 months or so, if the car is parked outside. They charged some Rs 800 for the same.

Also, get some good quality sunfilm for the windows and also for the windshield.

Get a body cover and use it. I know it is a bit inconvenient, I have also purchased the body cover, but not used it even once.

Last, but not the least, I hope your car is equipped with central locking and a mechanical gear lock.

Rohan,
Bangalore
Old 30th September 2009, 15:03   #17
BHPian

Hey i have a small and an efficient suggestion for all the Bhpians,when u park ur car outside on the road just keep a one foot size stone next to ur front and rear tyre on the side facing the road so that the other vehicles will for sure will be 1 feet away from ur vehicle when they are travelling in the road.
Old 30th September 2009, 15:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

A good car cover really helps. The ugliest thing is the dirt that the car picks up lying outside the house. Not to mention passer-bys with ulterioir motives.
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:09   #19
BHPian

Thanks. Regarding body cover, I am game for it but I have seen some posts mentioning that routinely covering your car with cover may damage paint a bit due to the friction between cover and body.
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Do we get a good car cover for rain protection ? What brand ? And for how much ?
Old 5th October 2009, 17:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
Hey i have a small and an efficient suggestion for all the Bhpians,when u park ur car outside on the road just keep a one foot size stone next to ur front and rear tyre on the side facing the road so that the other vehicles will for sure will be 1 feet away from ur vehicle when they are travelling in the road.
My suggestion in response would be to not make our roads any more dangerous and encroached upon than they already are by placing hazardous objects on them, for whatever reason.

@ Threadstarters: Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people all over the country (including me) park their vehicles in the open every day, for months on end. It's not ideal for the car, but there's not much you can do when your hands are tied. Buy a cover and worry not about it. For daytime parking in the sun when the cover is inconvenient, a folding windshield sunblock works wonders.
Old 6th October 2009, 09:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Do we get a good car cover for rain protection ? What brand ? And for how much ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Thanks. Regarding body cover, I am game for it but I have seen some posts mentioning that routinely covering your car with cover may damage paint a bit due to the friction between cover and body.
Get a Tyvex Cover if you can. Costs a bit high, but I am using it, worth the price. For swift, you can get it for 2K
Old 6th October 2009, 10:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Get a Tyvex Cover if you can. Costs a bit high, but I am using it, worth the price. For swift, you can get it for 2K
Thanks @lambuhere1. So what all do we get in 2K, Rain and high sunny temperature protection? 2K is worth it then. And where do we get in BLR?

Thanks!
Old 25th May 2011, 14:50   #24
BHPian

Re: Roadside parking - Precautions

My new car will be coming soon and I will have to park it in open. One thing that haunting me is the menace of bandicoots and rats. One of my neighbor had tough time with rats tearing off some wires. Do not think of any alternative now other than leaving the car at the mercy of mother nature. Any precautions I can take?
Old 25th May 2011, 15:24   #25
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadurRacer View Post
Any precautions I can take?
My suggestions:

* Keep some pieces of tobacco/pan masala in the engine bay to ward off rats and mice

* Don't keep the original vehicle documents and valuables inside the car while parking

* After parking, using a California car duster or Jopasu car duster, remove the dust and cover the car with a clean car cover
  (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 15:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Please also ensure:
- no food crumbs inside the car
- no garbage around the car where you park it
- as far as possible park away from drains/ water outlets
- all windows are closed fully (a bit silly, but better to verify!)
- ORVMs are closed (not for rats but for any impact from people/ vehicles!)
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 00:29   #27
BHPian

I have started parking my WagonR under direct harsh sun in Chennai. I use a normal car cover. I need to know technically (not asthetically) what will be the possible issues in the long run. I use the car only in weekends inside city and long drive once in 3-4 months. Tyre life will be affected, i have made my mind with regards to tyres. Also the beeding's capacity to insulate from road noise has reduced. What are the other issues to look our for? Dear mods - Pl delete if this is not appropriate. Only this thread was more relevant for my query. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks