Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2008, 04:27   #1
BHPian

Need a camping-type backpack

I am Going abroad for 4-5 weeks and travelling many places. Will probably travel by bus a bit in order to save money. So I was thinking
maybe instead of lugging around a suitcase, I should get one of those camping-type backpacks (is there a specific name for them?).

I don't need anything top of the line. It doesn't need to be rugged enough for a mountain, but it shouldn't fall apart in the middle of the trip either. Just something that would be comfortable to carry, and will carry lots of stuff, and isn't too expensive. Haven't been able to find anything in luggage stores.

Anyone have any advice as to where I can find these in Delhi? And of course, if anyone has one for sale second-hand, please PM me!
Old 11th May 2008, 09:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

I believe u can get it in any "luggage" shops. But I suggest first u take a list of what important things u will carry (music, camera, laptop...) and make sure when u buy the bag, u have secure compartments for those.
sometimes they can also double as pillow,seat. and u are planning to move a lot, make sure u have a waist belt along with shoulder straps.

and before anything, check luggage limits/bag type permitted on all sections of ur travel, specially flights.
Old 11th May 2008, 09:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
I am Going abroad for 4-5 weeks and travelling many places. Will probably travel by bus a bit in order to save money. So I was thinking
maybe instead of lugging around a suitcase, I should get one of those camping-type backpacks (is there a specific name for them?).

I don't need anything top of the line. It doesn't need to be rugged enough for a mountain, but it shouldn't fall apart in the middle of the trip either. Just something that would be comfortable to carry, and will carry lots of stuff, and isn't too expensive. Haven't been able to find anything in luggage stores.

Anyone have any advice as to where I can find these in Delhi? And of course, if anyone has one for sale second-hand, please PM me!

I had bought one from Delsey , it cost me 7K
Old 11th May 2008, 10:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
... maybe instead of lugging around a suitcase, I should get one of those camping-type backpacks (is there a specific name for them?).
There are many names: rucksack, knapsack, backpack etc. and these are used quite loosely.
There are nice ones that also have wheels on them and a trolley type handle.
As for where to buy one, I think you should check out e-bay, India.

Enjoy your trip and remember we will be waiting for your travelogues and photos upon your return!
Old 11th May 2008, 17:07   #5
BHPian

Even Samsonite has a pretty good collection of backpacks.
cheers:
Old 11th May 2008, 20:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

A camping bag/ rucksack is usually carried on your shoulder and meant for hikers. You need to consider the following:

- Will you carry this while hiking or just till the hotel room, if only till hotel then you probably dont need a hikers rucksack. If yes, look below.
- How much weight will you carry
- Will you carry your camping equipment
- Will you carry a sleeping bag
- Will you travel in rainy conditions

It needs to be comfortable for your shoulders/back and strappable to your waist.
Old 11th May 2008, 21:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
It needs to be comfortable for your shoulders/back and strappable to your waist.
And if it has wheels it's always better! There are some models that have them.
Old 11th May 2008, 22:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Contact Sam Bhai.
Crumpler comes to my mind.
Old 11th May 2008, 23:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Leisure and Business Travel Packing List - Travel Light with One Bag! is what I would say.

And yeah a good backpack is what I'd say. check out sales et al, woodland's noida factory outlet et al. 2-4k mein ho jaana chahiye
Old 12th May 2008, 10:23   #10
BHPian

Back support and shoulder padding

Which ever backpack you choose, ensure these have firm back support and good padded shoulder support distributing the load across. Since some of the backpacks available in the luggage stores have flimsy back support, and a huge capacity to dump stuff...

Take care and enjoy your trip
Old 12th May 2008, 11:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

One can get a superlative product like this from AVI Industries in Bombay. IF interested, i can find out the number and put you through to them. They actually make products for serious guys not the showy kinds and are really reasonable.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Go to Gopinath bazaar. Check out the shops there which are into adventure equipment. You will get one as per your requirement around 2500-3000 bucks. Good quality.
Old 12th May 2008, 23:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

in big buzzar, they have a good collection of rucksacks. if you are going to be hitchhiking then these are the best things to carry. if you are going on work (so yuou need a suit) then these are the worst thihngs to carry!
Old 4th January 2014, 10:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Rucksacks and Trekking bagpacks

Hi to all,

I was running across from posts to pillars to find myself a good Rucksack bag for travelling purpose. I visited many stores in person and did many online surverys as well and finally found my thing.

I am initiating this thread with the intention of helping others to post their queries and to help each other on good bagpacks and rucksacks for travelliing, trekking and expedetion.

I choose a Wildcraft Trailblazer 50 lt rucksack with two aluminium stays for added support. you can find more details here

http://www.wildcraft.in/Products/Wil...d-1809715.aspx
Old 4th January 2014, 10:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rucksacks and Trekking bagpacks

A similar thread exists here :-)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-thread-8.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks