Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2008, 13:08   #1
BHPian

Mivan Formwork - Construction

HI all,
I recently purchased a 3 BHK apartment with True Value Homes . Its Sea Facing apartment with Sea View. The total floors in the complex is 29.

What's unique about this project which i liked is the new construction technique they are introducing in CHennai. Its called MIVAN Formwork construction (I heard its quite common in Mumbai).

The difference, there is no brickwork involved and its a pre fabricated construction using Concrete and Aluminium. The advantages of this is Very very good quality, earthquake resistance, excellent finish, faster completion, and very low maintenance.

Have read a lot about this in Internet and have only read excellent review about this technique.

Do we have a civil eng or architect in our forum, who can tell how practical and effective this technique is?

Also, some gyan on it will help too
Old 25th May 2008, 15:04   #2
BHPian

MIVAN is certainly a revolutionary method of construction. i wouldn't exactly call it new. Skyscrapers around the world have been using similar pre-fabricated formwork based structures.

Main advantages as you have mentioned are speed of construction and ease of quality control. Earth-quake resistance is purely based on structural design of the building so I wouldn't give MIVAN too much credit for that though it does prove to be a tad bit more efficient.

Cost-wise it is only cheaper if you are looking at 10 or maybe 15 storeys and above. And even there majority of the cost is saved only in labour as time is greatly reduced. As far as post fabrication materials go I don't think you save much (maybe on plastering etc etc. but that amounts to quite less).

As far as I come to understand we cannot use in-fill materials in such a formwork. But I am not too sure how much this would benefit the end customer if the cost benefit is not passed on. Maintenance bit is a hog wash. Its still a concrete building and would need all the maintenance you would generally do in a normal building.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks