Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2008, 11:03   #1
BHPian

Read Carl Muller?

Carl Muller:

He's a Burgher- the quasi Dutch, quasi Native Sri Lankan -colourful as Hell.
Read him if you want stitches in your side. Paroxysms of laughter. Read him if you want to go mad. Read him if you're already mad. But read him.
Highly recommended.

Couple of titles I can remember: The Jam Fruit Tree, Yakada-Yaka
(Penguin). It's a trilogy but I've lost the name of the third title. His fault, not mine.

His war reminisces smell of Spike Milligan's Himmler-My part in his Downfall, but are infused with the island eroticism, spicy eroticism -and charm- of that kinky community. And how they drove the Brits cuckoo, and the Dutch off the damned island.

His railway stories are Railway stories- completely off the rails! As none but a Burgher could tell them and none but a Burgher could run those damn trains.

His school 'truant' escapades are hot. His protagonist's loving is- you guessed it- Hot.

His 'slice of estate life' yarns are pure organic and another word that starts with the first four letters and leaves you in a heap. A heaving heap.

If anyone has read Carl, I'd love to joust.

He's so good he aught to be committed. Or at least Beatified.
Nope, I don't get a commission from the Birds at Penguin.

Last edited by netchef : 26th May 2008 at 11:17. Reason: new ideas and a spello
Old 26th May 2008, 11:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thanks netchef, will pick up his works as soon as I am able to. Am reading Mortimer these days . Great stuff.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Thanks netchef, will pick up his works as soon as I am able to. Am reading Mortimer these days . Great stuff.

sammyboy:
Welcome, Sir.
Shall try your Mortimer in return. I notice you're Bangalore based: good place is Blossom Book House on Church Street that even stocks used books.

Happy reading. Warning: don't do it in bed- you'll fall out!
Old 26th May 2008, 13:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
sammyboy:
Welcome, Sir.
Shall try your Mortimer in return. I notice you're Bangalore based: good place is Blossom Book House on Church Street that even stocks used books.

Happy reading. Warning: don't do it in bed- you'll fall out!
Yes Netchef, Blossoms is the place where I exchange my hard earned cash for a little literary pleasure. Its fantastic value for money and has great choice too. Do read John Mortimer. I would strongly recommend the Rumpole series of books. Awesome stuff, based on his experiences as a lawyer.
Thanks for the warning Will visit blossoms over the weekend for sure.

Last edited by sammyboy : 26th May 2008 at 13:09. Reason: edit
Old 26th May 2008, 14:16   #5
BHPian

Wow. great minds slink alike. Sadly, I don't do much reading because I'm basically illiterate, so books with pics help.

Muller= seat-belts. A funnier man hasn't been invented.
Old 26th May 2008, 21:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

lol what you are sir is a riot and talking about books with pics i am a die hard comic buff. Am hardly left with too many thanks to my good friends who did everything they could to relieve me of the burden of having to take care of the thousands of comics i had accumulated . Sigh . Anyways i still own almost all tintin s and asterix comics released. And am a real huge fan of shultz and bill waterson. Swear by calvin and charlie brown .
Old 27th May 2008, 02:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And am a real huge fan of shultz and bill waterson. Swear by calvin and charlie brown .
Oh I'm a massive fan of both too!! You should also read Rudy Park a comic strip by two young Americans, Darrin Bell & Theron Heir! It's absolutely hilarious!
Old 27th May 2008, 04:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dilbert

Dilbert drawn by Scot Adams is another very popular satirical and droll strip you may enjoy.
Old 27th May 2008, 11:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
lol what you are sir is a riot and talking about books with pics i am a die hard comic buff. Am hardly left with too many thanks to my good friends who did everything they could to relieve me of the burden of having to take care of the thousands of comics i had accumulated . Sigh . Anyways i still own almost all tintin s and asterix comics released. And am a real huge fan of shultz and bill waterson. Swear by calvin and charlie brown .
Comics: you, Sir, are far too genteel. I was alluding to another genre of picture books altogether (strangely, mostly in the altogether ). You supplied the word: buff -as well.

But, LOVE Asterix and find them very clever. Wish they taught us History that way- I might have passed the Fifth, in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Dilbert drawn by Scot Adams is another very popular satirical and droll strip you may enjoy.
Yeah, Dilbert. Bit intellectual, though.

Last edited by netchef : 27th May 2008 at 11:07. Reason: last minutes spello detect
Old 27th May 2008, 18:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Comics: you, Sir, are far too genteel. I was alluding to another genre of picture books altogether (strangely, mostly in the altogether ). You supplied the word: buff -as well.
Hahaha Ahhh...have a decent collection of those too!!
Old 27th May 2008, 19:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Oh I'm a massive fan of both too!! You should also read Rudy Park a comic strip by two young Americans, Darrin Bell & Theron Heir! It's absolutely hilarious!
Hey Ishan, did you buy the complete edition of Calvin& hobbes? I have been wanting to for a while . Guess should happen soon.I do have a few of the books but would love to have the hard bound one. Will try Rudy Park for sure. At the book store called blossoms I saw old charlie browns for 100 bucks each. Got a couple of em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Dilbert is awesome too. In a different category,more corporate humor.

Quote:

Hee hee netchef careful sir, you might get an infraction for that.

Old 28th May 2008, 14:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Hahaha Ahhh...have a decent collection of those too!!
LOL. Lovely. We all do, Sir, at least the balanced ones.

Quote:
Hey Ishan, did you buy the complete edition of Calvin& hobbes? I have been wanting to for a while . Guess should happen soon.I do have a few of the books but would love to have the hard bound one. Will try Rudy Park for sure. At the book store called blossoms I saw old charlie browns for 100 bucks each. Got a couple of em.

Dilbert is awesome too. In a different category,more corporate humor.

Hee hee netchef careful sir, you might get an infraction for that.

Oh. Slap on the wrist? Or slap and tickle?
Old 28th May 2008, 17:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ishan, did you buy the complete edition of Calvin& hobbes? I have been wanting to for a while . Guess should happen soon.
No Sammy I started collecting them around 2001-02 the complete collections were not out then. I just checked I have all the books of the series except 3 of them, Indispensable Calvin & Hobbes ( I might have it, have to confirm once), There's treasure everywhere & Calvin & Hobbes: Tenth Anniversary book. Will acquire the same soon!

Quote:
LOL. Lovely. We all do, Sir, at least the balanced ones.
Of course sir!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks