Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2008, 14:42   #1

SMS service soon to alert motorists about traffic snarls

Quote:
Are you sceptical about the traffic situation at one of the many snarl-prone spots in the city before starting a journey? Traffic police have the answer.

Starting in a month, motorists will be able to get updates on traffic situation at different spots across the city by sending SMSes to a convenient five-digit number.

"We have already applied for the number with the Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) and expect to start the service in a month's time," Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Sanjay Barve told PTI here.

Support infrastructure like integrating of the traffic control room with the SMS service by the way of which users will be able to get the updates is already being created, he said.

Citing an example, Barve said, "Suppose you wish to travel from Chembur to Dadar and are doubtful about the traffic situation at Everard Nagar junction. You just SMS 'LOC REP', which stands for location report, to the five-digit number and immediately get a reply."

"The user will have to pay higher SMS charges to get the elicited reply as per the regulations but he can at least plan out his trip in a better way and take another route to complete the journey," Barve said.

The traffic police are currently in talks with various private companies to sponsor the project so that the cost to the end user is minimised, Barve said.

"A small message from the sponsor will be included in the reply message. It is a very good medium for the private companies to advertise," he said.
SMS service soon to alert motorists about traffic snarls-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:13   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I do hope they are able to make this a success, but I have my doubts. It could probably end up with the same dismal fate that other websites / helpline numbers from the authorities have met. Such an exercise requires a high level of commitment, investment and operational efficiency.

I would love to be proven wrong though.
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

There are better technologies out there just for broadcasting traffic information ( Traffic Message Channel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

I guess this is just another revenue stream for Mobile phone companies.
Old 23rd June 2008, 12:42   #4
BHPian

I dont really fancy thumbing through my mobile while driving :(
Old 23rd June 2008, 16:58   #5
BHPian

Is the information going to be useful in anyway? I used to listen to the announcements that used to be flashed by these FM stations. However the same roads used to be reported as avoidable day-in & day-out. What's the point then? & anyway you cant blame them also since this is the situation daily. In all these months has there been even a single day (baring the weekends) when the road near Centaur Hotel on the western express highway in mumbai is not full of traffic?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks