Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2008, 21:10   #1
BHPian

One of India's Greatest Achievements in Sports! (1983 - Cricket World Cup)

Lets talk about one of the greatest achievements for India in Sports. Just watching the felicitation ceremony being organised by BCCI to felicitate the World Cup winning team. I must admit that I have tears in my eyes listening to Kapil Dev speak and my chest is swollen with pride and honor. Bring it on guys! Lets talk about it. Share your experiences if you can remember them. I for one cannot as I was just about 5 years old then but I am sure many of you will be able to recall your experiences. I would really be interested to know. I love the game and this for me is one of the most important achievements in the Indian history. cheers:
Old 22nd June 2008, 21:33   #2
BHPian

Hollow celebration, I must add. Was reading in the papers, BCCI got around to hold this felicitation only after Sunil Gavaskar roped in Vijay Mallya to reward the 83 cup winning team at a private do. And all that because Kapil chose to go against the tyrants that run BCCI now-a-days, by associating himself with the ICL. They are a bunch of money minded businessmen who don't give a damn about the country and the pride that comes with being a part of tha national team. If anything, IMHO Kapil was the best cricketer that our country has seen.

I am not an ardent cricket lover any more. Gave up following the sport once money came into it and became the supreme driver. But it hurts.

Coming back to the topic, I second you SumitB. Everytime I see any footage of the 83 matches, it gives me a nostalgic feeling. Got a set of two VCD's from Citibank some time back as a prize for participating in some contest; it has the highlights package from the semis and the finals of the 83 cup. Amazing performances, I must add. A bunch of average cricketers (atleast thats what everyone thought before the start) and rank outsiders, just blew everyone away with their collective effort and team spirit. I think the current bunch of lads should draw inspiration from that and stop looking for a blockbuster performance from a superstar or big-name player. Get the pride back in your game lads. Maybe people like me would come back to the sport.
Old 22nd June 2008, 21:39   #3
BHPian

I agree with Nitin about the celebrations being a last ditch effort on part of the BCCI, but I am sure that like me, others here too are only interested to share our feeling and experiences about the win of 25th June, 1983. We can do BCCI bashing in some other thread.
Old 22nd June 2008, 21:56   #4
BHPian

No doubt, but BCCI is killing this game with an overdose of it. Nowadays, even an India vs Pakistan does not inspire much interest in me. I have had enough of cricket for a few months.
BTW, I would rate the B & H win in Australia in 1985 also in the same league.
Old 25th June 2008, 10:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

This Day June 25th in That Year 1983 ! India Shining-> Cricket World Cup Champs

Hi Folks,
As to most of us, following cricket is nothing but natural and this special day 25th June has some significance which all of us know. On June 25th 1983 Kapil and his "Devils" as they are called even till date win the 1st ever Cricket World Cup for India beating the mighty West Indies. Its been exactly 25 years on this day they achieved that feat and this thread is all about that win and for all of us to share their thoughts and pay tribute to the Champs. Hope India repeats that feat again until then and after too, the 1983 Invincible s will always be a special team and a memory to cherish and be proud of.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:13   #6
BHPian

Oh come now. It has been 25 years and we are still harping about this? No matter what awards you give the old team, the new team is not gonna emulate them.
Why should they? They already have the money and prestige :(
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: One of India's Greatest Achievements in Sports! (1983 - Cricket World Cup)

28 years now, you can update this thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks