Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 13:10   #46
BHPian

Re: Unusual interests/hobbies

Though not unusual, I was into Aero modelling and learnt the basics while I was at Gurgaon . Since 2008, I had been shuttling between Hyd and Chennai, could not practise it . Now that I am back to Chennai, would need to wait for the summer heat to subside before getting back into this....
Old 23rd March 2013, 23:43   #47
BHPian

I scratch build scale models, especially of military aircraft and ships. I mostly use discarded materials like old electronic components, pens, refills, etc for detailing.
Will post pictures if any one is interested. But its been quite some time since I built my last model.
Old 19th August 2016, 20:13   #48
BHPian

Here's a new hobby I recently got myself into to build on my patience (Something you need in plenty driving Bangalore roads) - Papercraft.

Here's the first model I got around to finishing. Loads of imperfections, but I'm just glad it even remotely resembles a plane

Unusual interests/hobbies-img_20160622_204138.jpg

Unusual interests/hobbies-img_20160622_204157.jpg

Unusual interests/hobbies-img_20160626_233136.jpg

Unusual interests/hobbies-img_20160626_233349.jpg

Unusual interests/hobbies-img_20160703_110143.jpg

Unusual interests/hobbies-img_20160706_093100.jpg

Unusual interests/hobbies-img_20160706_093142.jpg

Unusual interests/hobbies-img_20160706_093208.jpg
Old 19th August 2016, 20:30   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundz View Post
Here's a new hobby I recently got myself into to build on my patience (Something you need in plenty driving Bangalore roads) - Papercraft.
That's awesome ! I wasn't even aware such a thing existed.

Just found a website a couple of websites that lets you download printed sheets & instructions. Might give it a try sometime.

Do you use regular printer paper or something thicker, like card-paper?

Last edited by aah78 : 19th August 2016 at 21:18.
Old 19th August 2016, 20:44   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
That's awesome ! I wasn't even aware such a thing existed.

Just found a website a couple of websites that let you download printed sheets & instructions. Might give it a try sometime.

Do you use regular printer paper or something thicker, like card-paper?

Thanks! Neither was I aware of it. I used to occasionally build the Airfix plane models but of late, I haven't been able to find them in any store in India. So accidentally stumbled across this when I was checking on YouTube regarding an Airfix model I was planning to order.

I use 160gsm paper for most of the plane while the smaller and delicate parts are easier on a 130gsm paper.
Old 25th August 2016, 13:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Though not unusual, my hobby is practiced by very few Indians unlike in western countries where there is a wide following - I am a hobby woodworker/carpenter.

Primary sources of my inspiration and knowledge are youtube videos by experts such as steve ramsey, jay bates, john heisz, frank howarth, and paul sellers to name a few.

Equipment availability is quite low in the retail market compared to what is shown in the videos, and wood is not as easily available (except plywood).

But nonetheless I have built a small workshop at the attic of my house and carry out my hobby from there.

Shall be happy to provide any details or tips to any tbhpian on whatever knowledge I have gained till now.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2017 at 20:57. Reason: PM coming up
Old 25th August 2016, 14:07   #52
BHPian

During my early school (3rd std-5th std) days I was into a lot 'collection', I had shoe boxes under the bed with a lot of things. Other than the regular stamps and coins, i collected;

- match boxes
- cigarette wrappers
- plastic scales, protractor
- plastic pens
- bus, train tickets
- coaster
- ice cream sticks
and bunch of things others saw as junk... BTW, most of the stuff were picked off the school ground or from the street.

That thought of me stopping by on the road side, on the way back from school, picking up collectibles and carefully placing them in my bags outer pocket, brought a smile on my face. I even went around in the neighborhood asking people not to throw away bus & train tickets, but to collect and hand it over to me on a weekly basis.

But alas, when we decided to move houses, mom saw a good opportunity to discard all the junk. Well, most of it. I managed to save a few bundles of tickets, a collection of nuts, bolts and washers, some pens and an old picture collection book. It is all now safely boxed in the loft.

Last edited by Spinnerr : 25th August 2016 at 14:10. Reason: Grammar
Old 25th August 2016, 16:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Reviving....

Sharing my bit, I love to collect vinyl records. I have 5 turntables to give them a spin. I have about 300-400 LPs & EPs (Long playing records & Extended Play records). In general, I love collecting old stuff.
Another one here!
I have a small collection of of vintage audio equipment myself. Mostly buy as semi functional from olx & then restore them
Started with Cassettes - Between me and my dad we have a few thousand
also have 8 cassette decks, 4 Amplifiers, 2 tuners, 3 turntables with around 20 vintage MM cartridges & around 400 LP's
Old 25th August 2016, 17:21   #54
BHPian

I "used" to have a hobby of collecting keychains. I always "collected" and never really "purchased" any myself. So these collections happened when someone presented one, give aways at some functions or when someone had 2 and shared one with me. I had a sizeable collection until sometime back when jobs, transfers and intercity movements kind of put a stop to it unfortunately
Old 25th August 2016, 17:37   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Though not unusual, my hobby is practiced by very few Indians unlike in western countries where there is a wide following - I am a hobby woodworker/carpenter.

Primary sources of my inspiration and knowledge are Youtube videos by experts such as steve ramsey, jay bates, john heisz, frank howarth, and paul sellers to name a few.

Equipment availability is quite low in the retail market compared to what is shown in the videos, and wood is not as easily available (except plywood).

But nonetheless I have built a small workshop at the attic of my house and carry out my hobby from there.

Shall be happy to provide any details or tips to any tbhpian on whatever knowledge I have gained till now.
Sir,

I was a bit interested in aircraft modelling, which involves usage of some kind of soft wood. I think it is called as Balsa wood, not sure though. Since, you were into wood works, i thought of asking you what would be the best place to source these soft wood. this is purely for building model airplanes as a hobby.

Regards
Dieseltuned

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2017 at 20:59. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 25th August 2016, 17:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Sir,

I was a bit interested in aircraft modelling, which involves usage of some kind of soft wood. I think it is called as Balsa wood, not sure though. Since, you were into wood works, i thought of asking you what would be the best place to source these soft wood. this is purely for building model airplanes as a hobby.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Balsa wood is unsuitable for any sort of furniture/cabinetmaking, thus I have not used it anytime.
However, you may enquire if you have any govt lumberyards nearby, or try ebay. Ebay has good collection.
Old 26th August 2016, 18:52   #57
BHPian

Not really a hobby per se, but i have a very deep interest in simulation cricket games, and hence indulge in quite a few online cricket simulations like battrick, stumpedgame & cricketchampionship.

Pretty sure this is one unique interest / passion
Old 5th March 2017, 13:27   #58
BHPian

Post Demonetization : New currency series collection

Hi,

Have been collecting new series for quite some time, after demonetization, and have been blessed with some notes with either UNIQUE series, REFLECTIVE series, or special numbers.

Wanted to share this unique passion with you.

Still now searching for INCREASING NUMBER series, SAME NUMBER series, and ofcourse, MY VEHICLE NUMBER on the currency notes.

Hope you guys enjoy it.
Attached Thumbnails
Unusual interests/hobbies-collection_1.jpg  

Unusual interests/hobbies-collection_2.jpg  

Old 7th March 2017, 22:58   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Post Demonetization : New currency series collection

I got lucky with this note
Unusual interests/hobbies-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488907558.090782.jpg
Old 8th March 2017, 08:51   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I got lucky with this note
Lucky for you. Bet you can lay hands on more series like these. But its a pain

New series collection include : Section 144, 420, 007 as ending numbers.

Most Viewed