Team-BHP - The Career Advice Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Career Advice Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/42587-career-advice-thread.html)

There are so many MBA colleges in India, but how many of them actually do provide what they claim. This is a question that perenially haunts all wannabe MBA students. Not to mention, if someone wants to go to Australia/NZ/UK/USA/Canada, more research is needed & we seldom find real world experiences which are true and not advert quotes. I would like to know from people a few line about the experience in their MBA college. In short, elaborating the following points could help a lot to the future lot (I could be one someday).

1. Preparation stages & actual experience required prior to the course
2. Admission Procedure & Cost
3. Facilities (Shown in prospectus/ads & in real)

4. Curriculum modules, flexibility & transferability
5. Faculty standards & experience
6. Research facilities

7. Project assistance & quality / Industry exposure
8. Placement record (Real v/s Claimed)

It could be anywhere in world, but actually telling facts & exposing lies will certainly help. Think of it as if you will recommend it to your brother/sister or not.

In India MBA colleges are those which are highly Hyped. The Ranking published in most of the magazines are very much fake. I personnally feel except the IIMs, XLRI, ISB all the other colleges slip down some where or the other. They dont deliver upto the expectations.

When it comes to placements, trust me there is a huge gap in what they claim and what they deliver. Colleges say Citigroup recruits - but its actually Evalue-serve (KPO of Citigroup) which would recruit in their Data processing work. They claim Bank of America recruits, but trust me Bank of America India Ltd., will recruit for their shift based off-shore activities. So on and so forth is the reality.

The above mentioned comments could be understood as real facts when you interact with an MBA pass out from our country.

But having said that MBA is a good course which will bring out a lot of hidden softskills and inculcate a lot of real time knowledge if the person doing it is serious and sincere :)

Guys, there are no MBA "colleges". They all are either Business "Schools" or "Institutes".

If I could compile all the info about B-Schools globally, I guess that would be a best selling book :thumbs up (I need money)

What I would recommend to my brother would depend on his competencies and expectations. Hope you get it? Please be specific on your requirements, so that we could help?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingping (Post 852729)
When it comes to placements, trust me there is a huge gap in what they claim and what they deliver. Colleges say Citigroup recruits - but its actually Evalue-serve (KPO of Citigroup)

Thats not Evalueserve , its E-Serve that is owned by Citi. Evalueserve is another KPO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight (Post 853315)
Guys, there are no MBA "colleges". They all are either Business "Schools" or "Institutes"...

What I would recommend to my brother would depend on his competencies and expectations. Hope you get it? Please be specific on your requirements, so that we could help?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 853455)
Thats not Evalueserve , its E-Serve that is owned by Citi. Evalueserve is another KPO.

I think the discussion is drifting away from the topic. What I meant to do with this thread is that if those who are pursuing this course or have completed that already, could share their experience here. Therefore the topic. I agree that one could do that with Google as well, but
it never tells the post-experience trauma or ecstasy after walking out of the school.

For ex., one of my cousins did his 'MBA' from a school in Coimbatore and got a package of 6L a few years ago with Citi Financials. But in truth, it is well below that (not that he is cribbing), but his college published it @ the face value and not the actual. Similarly, another acquaintance of mine did it from a self-proclaimed good institute in Pune (which I don't know is good or bad) but ended up working for Call Centers.

Same way, I see freshers joining PG course in Business Management without any experience but does this actually do any good?

How is the focus of studies & depth of knowledge given in overseas universities, is another point I would like people to share so that we could understand how things work outside.

Last but not the least, I would like to know a good college In UK to do a PG in Finance & Economics.

One more reasons I started this thread is because if anyone have any question regarding such courses, could post his question here (Rgd college/course/project etc.). Of course, it has to be a T-BHP member. Hence the intention.

So I believe that we don't have enough MBAs here or they are not interested in sharing the experience? Whatever it is, it could have helped a lot of us including me. Alas...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy (Post 853455)

Yes thanks for the correction. :)

just curious, why not post this at pagalguy for best responses? Every forum has a raison d'etre - and cars is what team-bhp is about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by given2fly (Post 853584)

Last but not the least, I would like to know a good college In UK to do a PG in Finance & Economics.

If you do not mind spending a lot i would recommend City University, London City University London - Top ranking UK university for employment
I am told its one of the best places for Economics in UK.
Another great option is to pursue an MSC at University of Nottingham. Its quite an ace place from what i know.
Any specfic reason why you're opting only for UK?

All the above said, on the forum GTO is one of the best people to help you, and i'd suggest you drop him a pm for this than the usual contact form.

manson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 857898)
just curious, why not post this at pagalguy for best responses? Every forum has a raison d'etre - and cars is what team-bhp is about.

I agree. That is the best forum for MBA information. If the Mods are okay with posting these links here (please delete if needed),

Discussion thread on job profiles after MBA - PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2008, GMAT, XAT, IIM

Job profiles after MBA - PaGaLGuY.com - The Everything of MBA, CAT 2008, GMAT, XAT, IIM

PhamilyMan: whats your handle at PG ?

I need a Favour from you guys and take this seriously and suggest. Here it goes
i will be finishing b.tech in a year and i will have to do mba no matter what so tell me which is the easier side of mba with no maths and no calculations nor mechanics what soever.
Will pass out as a mechanical engineer next year without even a clue of what they taught
:-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team_Godspeed (Post 858558)
Here it goes i will be finishing b.tech in a year and i will have to do mba no matter what so tell me which is the easier side of mba with no maths and no calculations nor mechanics what soever.
Will pass out as a mechanical engineer next year without even a clue of what they taught
:-)

So you want to do two more years of the same?:)

Seriously, doing MBA without experience is like letting teenagers drive cars. MBA needs a certain business experience foundation to be really understood. One should not be allowed to take up MBA without 3-5 years of working experience. But then it is done routinely in India, just like teenage driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 858610)
Seriously, doing MBA without experience is like letting teenagers drive cars. MBA needs a certain business experience foundation to be really understood. One should not be allowed to take up MBA without 3-5 years of working experience. But then it is done routinely in India, just like teenage driving.

True. Thats why most good universities in the west have work experience listed as a prerequisite for MBA.

Best thing to do would be to work for an year or two and then go for MBA and you would gain the most out of it. And as an added benefit of work experience is that the admission panel might give your application a slight preference over other applications, this would make it much easier if you wish to do your MBA in a reputed institution. But the problem is most people once they start their career would be hesitant to go back to a college for higher education.

Quote:

As one of the above ilk. I vehemently disagree.

For not only is your post without a scad of reason, you compare it to the wrong things as well.

How about some reason, the great samurai?

most starter post undergrad jobs pay crap involve crap work. Doing coding post engineering/IT may give OD experience but zilch business understanding.

@given2fly

I completed my MBA in 2005 in India. My broad reading of the MBA scenario is as under:

1. Given the lack of experience among most Indian MBA students, the relevance of the curriculum to what you get out of the MBA experience is lower than in western univiersities. The one big plus here is that you learn to channel your thinking into better structures
2. Facilities (atleast in the handful of schools I've seen) are broadly as advertised. However, I havent seen any schools outside the top 20 so cant be too sure how things evolve
3. The big takeaways in my view are two fold:
i. the interaction you have with your peers
ii. the confidence you develop
Both of these depend to a large extent on the quality of students in the school, which is in turn dependent on the rankings (influencing the quality of students attracted)
4. Placements/Industry contacts take a long time to develop for most schools (ISB was something of an exception here) and are influenced by the quality of students
5. Quoted packages are inflated for most schools. However, a lot of the inflation is done by the companies themselves in the way they frame CTC's
6. MBA's do add a degree of employability to CV's (especially for people with non-IIT/REC engg degrees as well as non-CA B.Com's)

These are my personal opinions. A lot of people would disagree with some or all of these statements.

Quote:

The problem in India is employability. Try to imagine the kind of job a vanilla B Com would get in India and the value of MBA's to a fresher becomes clearer. Admittedly the learning from the MBA would be less than for someone with experience but, in the Indian context, it would still be substantially positive