Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 21:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Towards a Plastic Free Future

Not sure if i can post this here, but this is for a good cause and since T-BHP being a responsible group... am sure can make a difference to this project.

if such threads are not allowed then i would request the mods to remove it...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kalakad-Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve: Towards a Plastic Free Future

Kalakkad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve (KMTR), nestled in the Western Ghats, is one of the finest stretches of contiguous evergreen forests. It is the Southern most Tiger habitat in India and home to some very rare and endangered species.

Every year during the Aadi-amavasi festival, about 400,000 people visit the Sorimuthaiyan temple in the Sanctuary. This festival leaves the Sanctuary littered with plastic. The polythene bags with left over food often prove fatal to animals that consume them. On one occasion, a postmortem report showed a polythene bag in the gut of a leopard.

Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), along with the Forest Department, has taken up an initiative to make KMTR a plastic-free zone through education and other outreach programmes in villages around the reserve. A brochure on this programme along with the detailed action plan and the budget is attached with this mail. Also attached is a brochure on ATREE's activities in this region.

This effort requires a large amount of money. Personal or institutional contributions to this cause would be of immense help. (Contributions to ATREE are exempted under Section 80GGA of the Income Tax Act.)

To know more or want to take a look at the PDF's contact:

Suparsh.P.N
Senior Research Associate,
Eco - informatics Centre,
Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> # 659, 5th A Main Road, Hebbal, Bangalore, 560 024, India.
> Phone: +91-80-23530069 Extn: 42
Fax: +91-80-23530070
suparsh@atree.org
Old 19th July 2008, 15:26   #2
BHPian

I would says dont bother talking about such things - no one will pay attention.
In India people love polluting plastic! (which i think is a path to self destructive civilization)

I noticed once guy bought a Toothpaste at Foodwords, and even then he asked for a Plastic Bag. I dont think you need Plastic for a toothpaste!

I almost never accept plastic bags until i really need it.

I think they should almost ban these bags and people should bring their personal bags from home when going grocery shopping. This is already done in Europe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks