Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 23:10   #1
BHPian

Lets start a venture !

Hi fellow-bhpians,

Till date I've never introduces myself..neither does anybody know much about me. Well, i am Vishesh Jain, 19M, from N.Delhi. I am currently pursuing BBS, i.e Bachelor of Business Studies, from Asia's finest Undergraduate B-School, Sukhdev College, Delhi. So much so for the introduction.

Now i get down to the real thing. Yesterday our lecturer, who teaches us entrepreneurship..instructed us to prepare a project report on how each of us would go about setting up their business ventures, what are our plans etc. She advised us that coming up with a business plan which is new, untouched and innovative would certainly help, and that in today's times new ventures that cater to an untouched niche segment of the market have a higher probability to sucdeed and faster too.

Well, everybody gave their own plans, ideas and steps. But i couldn't think of any. Finally when the dedline was very near, i decided that i willl do something related to Indian Automobile Industry only, being a faithful TBHPian, and an enthusiast. So guyz, here's my plan.

You see, today when we go to buy a car in the market we have with us a plethora of options available, catering to a wide variety of budgets, needs and wants. Seriously, there are no less than five-six cars in each segement , each made by one of the top-companies in India. Each one has different attributes, features, and USPs. (Unique Selling Propositon)

Yet, people like us tbhp-ians, who claim to know to a little more about cars than the guy next door , are never really satisfied with any single product, and easily find out a no. of areas where it lacks. True it is, because nothing is made perfect, otherwise there wouldn't be any scope left for improvement in the future. We are left with no choice, but to compromise on a few of the features, which we really wished the car we are going to buy, had.

Some deep-pocketed no-compromise guyz head to tuners and go in for aftermarket mods, to make their cars, just the way they wanted it to be. But then, the majority of people, who although are not really satisfied with the compromise, are either too ignorant of after-market mods or they don't really put in efforts, because the availablity of tuning and modding services in India is very limited and expensive as well. They simply live on with the compromise. But if given a choice, they would certainly like to transform their cars the way they want it to be.

Aftermarket Mods is a very small-scale niche market in India. But it has a lot of scope, i think you all will agree with me. It does not really require HUGE funds, or too much of management skills, or space. What it requires is a determined passion for automobiles, and of-course sound technical knowledge and skills. Passion we all have, and there's clearly no dearth of technical-tuning gurus in India. But his talent is wide-spread and sometimes suppressed due to lack of pursuation or lack of funds. What is required is that Gurus of different fields should come together as one unit and pool in their talents. In other words, the resources for our venture are already there but they need to be extracted from various places and finally assembled at one place and then very carefully employed. If this can happen, then atleast i am sure that passion + know-how + teamwork => success. What say ??

So this is my "Business Idea" that I'll be submitting in a few days from now. I hope you liked it..and i hope that someday we people come together to put it into action ! I am awaiting responses, praises and criticisms. Thank you !

Pls. add on to the plan if you think it is feasable and viable to put it into action one day. I really want this thing to materialise soon !
Old 23rd July 2008, 00:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Finally You've introduced yourself Hummer boy
Welcome to the forum officially.( or unofficially)

A Nice Business venture but dont you think that this is a bit unpractical?

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 23rd July 2008 at 01:11.
Old 23rd July 2008, 03:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Would never work. The tuners are always at loggerheads, each has his own ideas and usually look down upon other tuners. It's always a question of mine is bigger than yours and ego clashes, you will never be able to get them under a roof and make them work as a team. The odd exceptions may exist, but world over, this is the scenario.

I think you better start a dynamite factory. Has lesser chances of blowing up.

Seriously, instead of thinking tuning shop, think after market and a factory to produce stuff. It is still a niche market and not many players around. Just consider the 4x4 scenario. AFAIK, no indegenious manufacturers for aftermarket options like diff locks, lift kits etc.

Last edited by kuttapan : 23rd July 2008 at 03:25.
Old 23rd July 2008, 10:16   #4
BANNED

I will keep an eye on this thread.
That's all I'm sure of right now.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Vishesh - Great idea mate. Most tuners cant accept working with the competition, however they have their own trusted aides for supporting services. So, while it might not be possible to have multiple tuners in one place, it should be fairly straight forward to put up a car enthusiasts mall or something wherein diff people connected with the auto business come together and that in turn attracts enough customers.
Now if only someone were to make that happen......
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
It does not really require HUGE funds, or too much of management skills What it requires is a determined passion for automobiles, and of-course sound technical knowledge and skills.
But his talent is wide-spread and sometimes suppressed due to lack of pursuation or lack of funds.
What is required is that Gurus of different fields should come together as one unit and pool in their talents. In other words, the resources for our venture are already there but they need to be extracted from various places and finally assembled at one place and then very carefully employed. If this can happen, then atleast i am sure that passion + know-how + teamwork => success. What say ??
This is what I think about this plan:

1. You assume that requirements of funds is not huge at get go. It should be an action item i nthe plan [I.e. to estimate funds required and at which stages]
2. You mentioned that someone will need to:
a. Identify people with technical know how
b. Convince them to join this venture
c. Manage their career path
d. Ensure that they get a decent raise year on year
3. And someone needs to:
a. Manage customer feedback
b. Resolve conflicts
c. Provide customer service [without making losses]

All this will require deep management skills and funds.

If you add these parameters (if not already) your plan might be better.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 23rd July 2008 at 11:28.
Old 23rd July 2008, 11:37   #7
BHPian

Dude, this looks more like a story than a business plan. No numbers. At least add these:
1. Current Size of market ($$)
2. Estimated Growth Rate (%)
3. Estimated Investment ($$) over 5 years
4. Estimated breakeven (year)
5. Estimated share of market over first 5 years (%)
6. RoI over 5 years (%)

Only once you do some serious number crunching will you find out whether it is a viable venture or not.
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:13   #8
HPP
BHPian

I posted this in another thread regarding tuner shops in India, it is somewhat relevant to the topic at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
I just saw this thread for the first time. As far as the question of the thread, that's not a yes or no question. It seems as if the poster is trying to see if the business opportunity might be there for him in India. Answer is, maybe, but it's a long hard road, no matter where you want to open/run a tuner shop, it's a test of your commitment and ability both. It will also take MUCH more money then most will ever guesstimate when putting together some initial numbers of starting and running this kind of business.

Will there be a market for this kind of business to live and strive at some point, yes, I believe so, is the market there now.. no, I don't think so. That is if you want to try and sustain yourself as a newcomer in the tuning world in India(or any new market), and primarily do nice/hardcore setups only. The market will mature, but that only happens when others stick their heads out and try it for themselves and basically teach the community at hand the basics of that world(which is what is happening now). At some point, the comfort level starts to sink in for more and more people and this kind of business can have enough business to succeed.

I personally am keeping an eye on the market, and would consider an operation within India. But I don't see it at a point where what I do can be sustained in a profitable manner at this time. However, I am proud of all of those currently brave enough to step out of the norm and do what seemed impossible in India not too long ago.

PS: I have many more comments/concerns about variables which make the Indian market different/harder to build and ensure reliable setups in, but I'll save that for some other time maybe.
All that being said, I think the OP needs to do more research as others have noted, and build a proper business plan to see the reality of building an operation of this sort. The $ investment is quite large, don't let anyone fool you(to do it right anyway.. I've done it).
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

I doubt this, but not to dampen ones spirits am ready to provide any help or assisstance if required.
The only way IMHO is if a company hires all of them as consultnats..else its like HKS,MUGEN,NISMO, TRUST joining up to form one company..do you think this will happen?
You are better of tying up with various tuners for various parts/departments of the organisation. etc

Last edited by iceman91 : 23rd July 2008 at 13:13.
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:22   #10
BHPian

To add to what others said, any business plan should have facts & figures, market for your venture, risks/chaleenges etc. What you have is an idea and not a plan. You have completed 10% and 90% to go.

Thiyags
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate your thought . Thorough planning and accurate execution favors success. No turning back.

I disagree with the statement "It does not really require HUGE funds, or too much of management skills, or space." If you wish to sustain the fruits of your efforts, you would require all the three.
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:28   #12
BHPian

hey guyz..thanks so much for responding. As i pointed out earlier, both compliments and criticisms are equally welcomed. But as one of you rightly pointed out, its is no business plan, its just an idea, a thought which struck my mind. Forgive me for mentioning it as a b-plan. But then, i expect more responses from you grown-up guyz regarding how i can transform this idea into a viable, profitable business. Thanks !
Old 24th July 2008, 22:02   #13
BHPian

well I appriciate that you thought about it, shared here and asked for comments (for & against). Thats a good thing. Moving on to your idea, as already been pointed out its no b-plan, just story. As you mentioned you are coming from a reputed b-school, a more structured and fact based approach was expected. There is no solid data points, only assumption. Even for as simple thing as business idea, some good homework should be done. At this point I am struggling to realize that in this cost conscious market where we bargain for floor mates and mud flaps one will be wiling to show money for "suggestions".

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th July 2008 at 22:15. Reason: Font tag
Old 1st September 2015, 23:59   #14
BHPian

Re: Lets start a venture !

I am also at the point of 'Let's start a venture'.

Here is a company seeking C&F for Nashik. I emailed them and was promptly telecalled by the Area Manager. I may be meeting the Area Manager this month. I do not have space, and will only provide them a BG. The main product is Sunflower oil. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Company website http://kaleesuwari.com/cf-agents.html
Old 2nd September 2015, 07:26   #15
BHPian

Re: Lets start a venture !

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Dude, this looks more like a story than a business plan. No numbers. At least add these:
1. Current Size of market ($$)
2. Estimated Growth Rate (%)
3. Estimated Investment ($$) over 5 years
4. Estimated breakeven (year)
5. Estimated share of market over first 5 years (%)
6. RoI over 5 years (%)

Only once you do some serious number crunching will you find out whether it is a viable venture or not.
hi Vishesh...good to know that you are from my Alma mater.

On your business idea, like Anurag has mentioned, I would second the research needed to come up with numbers rather than just the idea. CBS professors would grill you for quantitative details for sure and some of the pointers here would help you analyze the market size and opportunities along with funding needed.
So, as a first step, get the data and plug into your story and then evolve questions.
Hope that helps.

regards

Himanshu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks