Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 21:34   #16
BHPian

Thanks a ton guys !
Competition is extremely tough, opponents are the grand daddies of the game but we will give our best
Old 24th July 2008, 22:24   #17
Team-BHP Support

Wishing you all the very best and success!
Old 25th July 2008, 00:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Amey bhai all the very best for you and your team make India proud... we are with you with full support cheers

Ramie
Old 25th July 2008, 12:19   #19
BHPian

thanks once again guys !
Old 25th July 2008, 12:50   #20
BHPian

All the best Amey, we know you will come back triumphant.
Old 25th July 2008, 16:52   #21
BHPian

Go kick butt Big boy. And bring back lots of goodies for us along with the medals
Old 29th July 2008, 11:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hmm few pics that they are there !!!!

VR-Zone : Technology Beats - Advanced Overclocking Championship 08 Field Report Day 1

All the best Amey for 'AOCC 2008'!!-india.jpg
Old 15th August 2008, 10:14   #23
BHPian

Hey guys,
Sorry for the late update.
The competition was a blast and we had lots of fun. Even though it was a 'competition' but none of the participants present were in the 'truly competitive' mood. Everyone considered it as a grand get together of all overclockers around the world and a good opportunity to learn, share everything related to overclocking.
When we went from here, we had very modest ambitions. The participants present for this competition were well known, legendary overclockers. Many of them considered the gods of overclocking world with numerous world records to their name.
Our aim was to successfully submit decent enough scores for each round of benchmarks. The time allotted for each round was quite low anyways.
So with humble aims we set off.
The hardware was distributed a day earlier so we could get time to practice in our hotel rooms. Our practice runs went very well. The CPU was behaving very very well so we were hopeful.
On the 1st day we reached the venue and immediately started off with insulation of the card, motherboard etc....
Once that was done and both the pots mounted, we were ready to start.
LN2 flasks were filled and ready to be distributed and everyone was allotted 2 flasks. We got ours and started off.
Our worst nightmare was about to come true, steadily we started dropping the temperature of the CPU, -40.....-60...-70. Everything is fine till now, Booted into windows at 5.2GHz ,no issues. A trial run of Super Pi is completed. All is going well. Meanwhile we were dropping the temps more, -85 and the system shuts down. Bad sign!!!
Board wasn’t ready to boot at all, starting and shutting down even before displaying anything.
We kept restarting. As soon as it starts, the CPU starts heating a bit so we could drop from -85 to -78C. It boots!
Our worst nightmares had come true :( We had a useless chip which cold bugged at -80C.
We got a bad feeling about it that very moment. We had to struggle and keep the chip around -78-79C or else we would be in serious trouble. Had it managed to work at around -120 – 130C range, things would have been so much easier.
So we started bumping the clocks, keeping temps in the -78C range.
After struggling for a bit, we got to 5.4GHz. After that it just refused to go any further irrespective of how much we tried.
So with a chip which cold bugged at -80C and couldn’t clock more than 5.4GHz, we were sort of scr**ed
We still managed to submit decent enough scores for Super Pi 8M and 3DMark2001 but strangely 3DMark Vantage refused to even work at the same settings.
So with Day 1 finished, all of us gathered up and started sharing our experiences, we realized everyone was cursing the CPUs. I guess the entire batch was dud.
I guess that’s the reason why some of the teams which we felt ( infact were dead sure) would dominate throughout ,failed to put up some good numbers up.
Some of them being Team USA, Team Japan (Super Pi gods), Team Italy and so on.
As expected Team Sweden, Finland, Portugal fared well.
Surprise was the winners, Team China. They are really good and had the only lady overclocker amongst all teams but I personally wasn’t expecting them to win, just get some good scores, earn some points but they did it, Congrats to them.
Day 2 was not a competition but a collective attempt to break World Records. With Dud CPUs and Immature Motherboard, Asus P5Q3 Deluxe (I know because we struggled there, and i am struggling with it even now as I am testing it currently at home) no one was really excited.
Getting your own stuff was allowed for these WR runs.
We were extremely fortunate to have Team Japan next to our table and they were aiming to nail Super Pi and Pi Fast.
They had got Asus Rampage Extreme motherboard and their 'golden' C2D E8500 and they were upto 6.2GHz in no time. They had nailed Pi Fast WR and called the Marshal to note their score and verify. Till he came, it had crashed , really hard luck there for Team Japan.
Anyways I have immense respect for these Japanese masters. When I was blessed to watch them bench in person, I realized why they ruled !
Their dedication, concentration and overall skill in benching is brilliant.
Team Italy, Sweden, Finland teamed up to nail 3DMark Vantage WR with 3 x Nvidia GTX 280 in Tri-SLI config on Asus Striker II Extreme motherboard.
It was again pleasure to see them work in perfect co ordination. They were very close to achieving the WR but the time was up so they had to stop. How stupid !! The organizers should have given them some more time and I am sure WR would have been theirs.

So overall it was an excellent learning experience and I must say that even though we did not get any points or didn’t end up in the top 5, it still the experience was worth it. The nascent stage of overclocking in India does hurt. There is virtually no support from any Major brands which is not the case with many of the overclockers worldwide.
So even if there isn’t support from hardware side locally, the knowledge gained here was invaluable at least for me.

Hope it helps me in my future overclocking endeavors.

Thanks,
Amey

Last edited by Amey : 15th August 2008 at 10:33.
Old 16th August 2008, 10:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

I would like to know more about this competetion.

1)
Is is that all the CPU and motherboard are supplied by the organizer ?

2)
Are all the constestants given the same motherboard, RAM and processor ?

IMO, 5.2 is very, very good. The maximum I have magaed to take the Core 2 Duo E6600 is upto 3.5 GHz.
What was the clock speed of the winner and was it more than 6.2 Ghz?
Old 19th August 2008, 21:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I would like to know more about this competetion.

1)
Is is that all the CPU and motherboard are supplied by the organizer ?

2)
Are all the constestants given the same motherboard, RAM and processor ?

IMO, 5.2 is very, very good. The maximum I have magaed to take the Core 2 Duo E6600 is upto 3.5 GHz.
What was the clock speed of the winner and was it more than 6.2 Ghz?
All Hardware, except cooling apparatus was provided by organizers.

Each and every participant was given exact same hardware.

Team China, the winners were happily benching at 5.9GHz which is insane for a Quad Core.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks