Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 19:06   #16
BHPian

thank you guys for all the information; couldn't reply as I was busy for sometime.(this is the only thing that I dont like about my work place; they still expect people to work for 8 hrs..huh! )

iraghava,steeroid,sushrutha,ikoneer, thank you.

navin: I am thinking of making it a long term stay. Temp stay till I find an accomodation is yet to be finalised. I am moving there in 2nd week of Sept.

maxj2005: thanks for the does and donts. point no 3; are you referring to HDB flats? I am not in much favor of them, although they seem comparatively cheaper than condos.

neeraj_infopark: thanks but I am not moving before 2nd week of sept. but atleast you can give me brief idea about accomodations. I will get in touch with you as and when needed.

tsk1979: I will go there whenever I feel homesick.LOL ('homesick' is a single word, sam baba once said).

captain pings: I am surely going to contact you before and after I move there. I have PMed you my Gtalk ID, hope to chat with you sometime.

Abhijitvp: ditto for you.
Old 5th August 2008, 19:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Guys me to at Singapore and how did i not spot this thread here.

PM me i am in Singapore for another 20days we could all meet up on the weekend, what say guys.
Old 5th August 2008, 22:09   #18
BHPian

I often visit Singapore on busines strips. A word about Mustafa - though it is convinient in the sense that you get most of the things under one roof and is open 24 hours a day, you don't enjoy shopping there due to heavy crowds-both inside the store and outside. I was also told by one of my collegues in Singapore that Mustafa is not really a cheap place to shop as many people think. Avoid the place- specially during weekends.
Old 5th August 2008, 23:16   #19
BANNED

When I last been to Singapore, local Chinese friend suggested Sim Lim (& bargain hard) for electronic goods. Only good thing about Mustafa is you get certain desi items. Otherwise avoid - there are better places.

The perception is that Indians are mainly laborers/blue collared workers. Unless you are well dressed, you might be mistaken and get a raw deal.

If you don't have friends then its is very lonely,cold place and life becomes mechanical. There are many local auto enthusiasts' forums. For NHC, here it is CityZen forum - Powered by vBulletin
Old 8th August 2008, 20:38   #20
BHPian

if you want to know something PM me...I've lived there for over 10 years, and still have my houses and cars there...Very much settled...except for the fact that Mumbai is where college is for me
Old 11th August 2008, 18:39   #21
BHPian

What an irony...I am a singaporean in chennai. Here for courses and business. Like everyone says rents are high. Unless you are earning above 7K you can forget about condos. HDB flats are pretty nice nowadays. Depending on how cloase you are to the city e.g raffles place the higher the rent.

Otherwise its gets boring after a while. U'll have more fun visiting islands near singapore belonging to indonesia and malaysia.

Life is very mechanical in singapore...it has the highest movie goers rate in the world or sth...cause we have nth else to do there!! haha
Old 12th August 2008, 14:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones View Post
Unless you are earning above 7K you can forget about condos. HDB flats are pretty nice nowadays. Depending on how cloase you are to the city e.g raffles place the higher the rent.
I understand that. But what are the reliable sources to rent a HDB flat?. As I understand, legally there are some complexities in renting a HDB flat; the eligibility of the owner to rent out a flat, to be precise. And I have read some nasty stories about HDB flat owners causing a lot of trouble to the tenants, not returning the deposit money after the agreement period is over etc etc. Is it not a little easier and safe to rent a condo? Jobwise, I am still talking with few organisations there and I have time till end of sept. If I go ahead with one of them, do singaporian employers provide accomodations? and deduct the rent every month? isn't that a safe bet? Here in India some companies do that, I dont have any clue about SG norms.
Old 15th August 2008, 23:34   #23
BHPian

Unless you have sources here than its not safe...yes. And if you are the director of a company than they might pay for ur condo , else Its not normal. P.M me for details

Quote:
Originally Posted by amya View Post
I understand that. But what are the reliable sources to rent a HDB flat?. As I understand, legally there are some complexities in renting a HDB flat; the eligibility of the owner to rent out a flat, to be precise. And I have read some nasty stories about HDB flat owners causing a lot of trouble to the tenants, not returning the deposit money after the agreement period is over etc etc. Is it not a little easier and safe to rent a condo? Jobwise, I am still talking with few organisations there and I have time till end of sept. If I go ahead with one of them, do singaporian employers provide accomodations? and deduct the rent every month? isn't that a safe bet? Here in India some companies do that, I dont have any clue about SG norms.
Old 16th August 2008, 12:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones View Post
Life is very mechanical in singapore...it has the highest movie goers rate in the world or sth...cause we have nth else to do there!! haha

The above quoted point is real and i agree, Singapore is one place there is nothing else to do and best time pass is go watch movie and get entertained for 2-3hrs
Old 9th May 2009, 11:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have a question about rental rooms/flats in Singapore.
I cam across this website: roomsDB.net
There are two types of "rooms" advertised: Common and Master. What is the difference between the two? Does Master room mean its an independent 1 room flat? Or does it mean its a room meant for 1 single person but the flat has other rooms?
Looking forward to some inputs.
Old 9th May 2009, 17:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I have a question about rental rooms/flats in Singapore.
I cam across this website: roomsDB.net
There are two types of "rooms" advertised: Common and Master. What is the difference between the two? .
Master bedroom in an apartment will have an attached bathroom and A/C.
Common room/s share a common bathroom and may or may not have an A/C.

A family may rent out one or more of their rooms to individuals to make some extra money. In some cases the whole flat is rented out to individual people and the rent varies whether one opts for a master bedroom or a common room.
Old 11th May 2009, 20:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

What are the options for food in Singapore. I mean to say are there any tiffin services available for bachelors/singles ? How is the hygiene level of the outside food ? And does Singapore have mosquitoes ?
Old 14th May 2009, 18:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
What are the options for food in Singapore. I mean to say are there any tiffin services available for bachelors/singles ? How is the hygiene level of the outside food ?
Lot of options for food in Singapore.

Every housing block has a common place called a "Food court" where they have different stalls catering to Chinese, Malay, and Indian food. You can get good food here. You will be surprised to know that not only bachelors but entire singaporean families eat at food courts. When you have good food available at a stone's throw, why cook?

There is nothing like tiffin service. The city is small and well connected and you can take a bus, train or a taxi if you want to go to a better eating place.

Apart from that you have good Indian restaurants if you go to the city center (30-45 minutes from anywhere in Singapore )

Last but not least if you go to Little India, you are spoilt for choices. You have rows of Indian restaurants here.

Quote:
And does Singapore have mosquitoes ?
Singapore does not have mosquitoes! There is lot of awareness and regular fumigation and I will be surprised if you can find a mosquito there.
Old 14th May 2009, 19:57   #29
BHPian

Oops ! Did not check this thread for long time. Actually I am still in India. When I was almost done with all the plans around Aug-Sept 08, a medical emergency in family forced me to stay back and by Dec 08 (read: when the meltdown had started) I felt it was a bit risky to move out of India for a new job.
Mods : please decide what to do with this thread.
And thank you everyone for all the information.
Old 14th May 2009, 20:13   #30
BHPian

I don't think we should close this thread, anyone relocating to Singapore can get good information here. Members can also ask other related questions. I found this thread very useful when I was moving to Singapore

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks