Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 20:34   #1
BHPian

Need tips to take care of your home while you are away

Hello all,

I am relocating out of Bangalore. I plan to close down my furnished apartment for an year. I would like to hear from people who have done this before, on what all to take care, so that your empty house has least damage when you are back. Tips for example on how to protect your furniture, tap fittings etc.

Thanks

Nirmal
Old 21st August 2008, 09:06   #2
BHPian

Got some tips from one of my friends.

1. Cover all your furniture with some cloth. You will get big cloth rolls at cheap price.
2. Close the water connection to the apartment and empty all taps, geysers, water purifiers etc.
3. If possible cover the tap fittings also
4. Disconnect all electrical devices
5. Switch off the electric mains
6. Do not disconnect electric connection. Go to electricity office and make advance payment for the minimum amout/month for a year or two
7. Keep gas connection under safe custody (and get the refund for gas cylinders)
8. Disconnect phone lines (if it is BSNL/MTNL keep it under safe custody)
9. Inform nearest police station (dont know if this would end up as an invitation to rob the house )

Please add to this list if you know of any more...

Nirmal

Last edited by nirmalts : 21st August 2008 at 09:08.
Old 21st August 2008, 10:17   #3
BHPian

11. Inform your neighbors/friends to keep a look at ur house.
12. Install some motion detection sensors to take care of any eventualities.
13. Seal all the drains/water outlets in your bathroom(these are the entry points for rats/cockroaches).

Regards,
Old 21st August 2008, 10:54   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Nirmal, it might be a good idea to let out your house in the time you are away.
If of course you are willing to allow others to use the place in the time you are not around. Anyway since you are "re-locating" I presume you will be taking away most of your personal stuff etc.
Consider it, because this way the house is "lived in" and will be maintained.
Of course you have to try your best to control who you give it to, and on a strict lease of 11 months , no more. You could even lock up all personal effects/ etc and maybe let it out to someone you know and trust, who might be in the "serviced apartment" business - short stay executives etc etc.
Old 21st August 2008, 11:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree with shankar here, One of my cousins let it out to another colleague in his company who was looking for a house. Locked everything else not intended to be given in one room and gave away the rest space.

Even his car was left parked in the parking area and all keys were left with me. My number was with this new occupant, just incase we needed to open up the rooms etc.

This way it remained resonably maintained for more than an year, while my cousin was away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Nirmal, it might be a good idea to let out your house in the time you are away.
If of course you are willing to allow others to use the place in the time you are not around. Anyway since you are "re-locating" I presume you will be taking away most of your personal stuff etc.
Consider it, because this way the house is "lived in" and will be maintained.
Of course you have to try your best to control who you give it to, and on a strict lease of 11 months , no more. You could even lock up all personal effects/ etc and maybe let it out to someone you know and trust, who might be in the "serviced apartment" business - short stay executives etc etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks