Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2008, 18:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Christian Missionaries are still savoured in some parts of darkest Africa. A red wine or saucy full bodied white wine is preferred company.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 10th August 2008 at 18:44.
Old 11th August 2008, 14:37   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
Biju, the squid's we ate at Moonrakers were like rings with a rubbery texture. Dipped in batter and deep fried. Also known as Kalamari / Calamari. Here it looks hideous. Is the kalamari different from the pic where the squid's are shown?
Well, aditya, a squid has a long cylindrical body with a head that has tentacles attached - see the pic of raw squid I put on 1st page. What we ate at Moonrakers was the body of the squid sliced into circles. The head is also cooked and I prefer the head/tentacles to the body - just yummy when deep fried.

Occasionally seen in Chennai fish-markets too. For those that want to try this at home, please remember to remove 2 parts from the squid's body and throw it before cooking squid - 1 is a ink-pouch it has which it uses to squirt bluish ink at predators and another is a thin plastic-like bone (like the thing we have in the collars of our shirts to keep it stiff). Don't eat these two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi
In taiwan, I had Frog legs. It was just like chicken and no difference. It was made in garlic sause. U know what, I ate it till I know that it was frog.
Very common eat in Kerala. Infact so common that the population of frogs is declining like crazy.
Old 11th August 2008, 14:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Very common eat in Kerala. Infact so common that the population of frogs is declining like crazy.
I agree, but what I was trying to convey is that it is the perception and mindset that makes you like or dislike the food at first sight.
Old 11th August 2008, 15:04   #34
BHPian

Then we'll grab a bite at 404 Not Found

Of all the poorly translated signs that can baffle English-speaking visitors to China, this one takes the cake for the most epic of all possible fails. And, as Dear Jane Sample notes, it’s also a good reason to invest in something more than a Web-based translator.

AdFreak: Then we'll grab a bite at 404 Not Found

If this was the shop sign, wonder how the menu would have been?

Last edited by pradkumar : 11th August 2008 at 15:05.
Old 11th August 2008, 16:03   #35
BHPian

I guess in mangalore, eating squids is quite common . My wife who's from mangalore intoroduced me to the squid, and my first impression was "how can someone eat that slimy slippery thing", but believe me , after i tasted the deep fry chilly squid rings, i am now hooked to squids. Nothing like cold beer and squid fry to go with.

During my hostel days, we had a lot of manipuri friends, and they mention that dog and frog legs are a delicacy back in their hometowns. Also heard about rumours of certain tribes in western ghats eating cats meat for some medicinal purposes.
Old 11th August 2008, 16:12   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a vegetarian converted NV a few years ago. I enjoy Chicken, Lamb, Fish in that order. I must have tried prawns a very few times and that too only in Goa and Bangalore ( Coastal Spice) and enjoyed it.

I neither have the intention nor craving to try any of the exotic food listed in this thread. Indian food is simply awesome and there are still so many different indian cuisines still to complete and i guess it will take my lifetime for the same.

I only can say that people who enjoy these types of food are quite brave
Old 11th August 2008, 16:16   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am a vegetarian converted NV a few years ago. I enjoy Chicken, Lamb, Fish in that order. I must have tried prawns a very few times and that too only in Goa and Bangalore ( Coastal Spice) and enjoyed it.
I only can say that people who enjoy these types of food are quite brave
Don't forget that there are many vegetarian people out there who will think that eating Lamb is brave.
Old 11th August 2008, 16:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead
During my hostel days, we had a lot of manipuri friends, and they mention that dog and frog legs are a delicacy back in their hometowns.
Dogs are a delicacy in some states of the NorthEast like Nagaland. While travelling there, we could see people preparing dogs for a barbeque - shaving off the fur etc. IIRC, they remove the internal organs, stuff it with rice and such and roast it over a fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead
Also heard about rumours of certain tribes in western ghats eating cats meat for some medicinal purposes.
Dont have to go that far. In Kerala, though not very common, black cats are considered a delicacy by some. Also, there is something called a marapatti (literal translation being tree-dog) which is baited and trapped and eaten.
Old 11th August 2008, 16:53   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dogs are a delicacy in some states of the NorthEast like Nagaland. While travelling there, we could see people preparing dogs for a barbeque - shaving off the fur etc. IIRC, they remove the internal organs, stuff it with rice and such and roast it over a fire.
I agree. We used to have some staff from Meghalaya and they would talk of eating dogs with relish. But one would feed the dog with rice for many days to clean out the internal system.

And for those of you meat-eaters who are squirming in their seats and thinking things like dogs and cats are cute and make lovely pets, remember baby goats are very cute too.
Old 11th August 2008, 16:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

Yup, I think its the slender loris that is eaten in certain parts of the south. Also monitor lizards are quite a delicacy in some places in TN.
Old 11th August 2008, 17:01   #41
Team-BHP Support

Putting a thought across. How many of you agree ?

It easy(easier?) to eat cooked meat when it does not look like the animal it has come from? I mean, butter chicken does not look like a hen and nor does Rogan Josh look like a baby goat. So they are easier to eat.

Some of the exotic food, especially in the thread starters pics, actually look like live animals and hence its difficult to imagine eating them
Old 11th August 2008, 18:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Dog's Meat ?

Sam, didn't you try dogs meat? Its delicious

For other people here is a YouTube link to one of very nice documentary.

Old 20th August 2008, 12:16   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Live crab anyone? Nope, I am vegetarian. Clicked @ Martins in Goa.
Attached Thumbnails
Beijing menu: scorpion fry, seahorse kebab-dsc00992.jpg  

Beijing menu: scorpion fry, seahorse kebab-dsc00993.jpg  

Old 20th August 2008, 12:30   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...There they serve live baby octopus with sauce and my friends said that when you swallow the little ones, they try to hold on to your tongue using their tentacles.
There's this scene in the Korean movie Oldboy where the main character is shown eating a live octopus.

In that scene, the cook (a significant character, later on) picks one out from the water tank and gives it to him, and he just puts it in his mouth and swallows it -- all in one shot. Pretty freaky! The Octopus grabs his face with its tentacles, as it goes down, bit by bit. That's where I saw this for the first time.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:34   #45
Team-BHP Support

OT: Oldboy remade in Hindi as Zinda.
The original was awesome.
The remake well they could have spared themselves and us the agony.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks