Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 09:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought that came to my mind

Tomorrow being a national holiday we all are celebrating traditional day in our office. I got up early and got dressed in a kurta matching one of the shades of the tri color. I sat in the car and started driving. Suddenly I noticed a big hoarding wishing a politician a very happy birthday. Mind you, the birthday is gone and the hoarding is still there. Down further, similar hoardings wishing some or the other politician a very happy birthday. A little ahead were the hoardings announcing the arrival of Ganpati (still 15 days to go) by various ganpati mandals.

In the odd 13-14 kms of drive from my home to the office, I didn't see a single hoarding wishing our country a very happy birthday. People are dying on the streets, no one bothers, at the border, no one bothers. People buy flags today, throw them tomorrow. I feel sad that we forget to celebrate the birthday of the greatest civilizations in the history of man kind...

Tomorrow we celebrate our Independence day. Vande Matram. Jai hind.
Old 14th August 2008, 10:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Suddenly I noticed a big hoarding wishing a politician a very happy birthday. Mind you, the birthday is gone and the hoarding is still there. Down further, similar hoardings wishing some or the other politician a very happy birthday.
Tell me about it! It's really frustrating to see some unknown local politician with a silly smile on his face in the mornings. I get the feeling that these guys are laughing at us suckers! I have seen hoardings wishing happy birthday to some kid of some politician. In the last few months this concept of putting up hoardings has gained in Mumbai. There should be some law prohibiting this from happening. They are spoiling whatever beauty is left in our shabby, rundown cities.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Very true. BMC is planning to do something about it. I don't know how successful that would be considering the fact that most of the people in BMC are affiliated to some or the other political party. It is hazardous for the commuters and regular people who pass by such huge hoardings. What if they fall on the innocent people? Who would claim the responsibility? Certainly not the party or the person who's b'day they are celebrating.

The day our officials stop taking bribes, is when we would be truly independent!
Old 14th August 2008, 11:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am glad that Chennai has been made a no-hoardings zone.

Today, Aug15th and Jan26th are just holidays for most of us. And if it comes adjacent to a weekend, the better, as it gives an extended weekend. Forget celebrating the occasion, I doubt we even spend a few seconds thinking about what significance the day holds.

As kids, we were better. I remember going to school, there would be a function there, with some speeches by teachers, unfurling the flag, saluting it. And yes, finally the mandatory sweets for all.

Today there were lots of guys selling various kinds of Indian flags, lapel pins etc at traffic signals. Bought a tricolor on a pedestal - always hated the slanted/crossed twin flag versions which are common and wanted a single perpendicular flag. Got it today. Will hopefully atleast make me think of the country when I see it on the dashboard.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Bangalore also seems to have followed suit.
Old 14th August 2008, 12:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the hoardings from Chennai and bangalore have made it here
Old 14th August 2008, 15:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Seems like the hoardings from Chennai and bangalore have made it here
Good one.

Will not be long before it goes in Mumbai as well I guess.
Old 14th August 2008, 17:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Very true. BMC is planning to do something about it. I don't know how successful that would be considering the fact that most of the people in BMC are affiliated to some or the other political party. It is hazardous for the commuters and regular people who pass by such huge hoardings. What if they fall on the innocent people? Who would claim the responsibility? Certainly not the party or the person who's b'day they are celebrating.

The day our officials stop taking bribes, is when we would be truly independent!
1. True BMC are controlled by a Political Party and behind the scenes they have to abide with their demands.

2. Whos responsible for bribing or making habituated for them to ask for bribes?

What do you do when your stuck with ur personal work at a Govt. office or best example, when you are encountered by Traffic Cops when you break signal or dont carry driving license/PUC/Insurances for your vehicle, in accidents?

Question to be asked to self...(My View)

No offense Amtak ..the mess is generic to all

Cheers and Vande Mataram~

Last edited by rudrah : 14th August 2008 at 17:53.
Old 14th August 2008, 18:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Today, Aug15th and Jan26th are just holidays for most of us. And if it comes adjacent to a weekend, the better, as it gives an extended weekend. Forget celebrating the occasion, I doubt we even spend a few seconds thinking about what significance the day holds.

As kids, we were better. I remember going to school, there would be a function there, with some speeches by teachers, unfurling the flag, saluting it. And yes, finally the mandatory sweets for all.

Today there were lots of guys selling various kinds of Indian flags, lapel pins etc at traffic signals. Bought a tricolor on a pedestal - always hated the slanted/crossed twin flag versions which are common and wanted a single perpendicular flag. Got it today. Will hopefully atleast make me think of the country when I see it on the dashboard.
yeah they are banned but political hoarding are increasing, everyday i see these hoarding on the roads, i have seen many lying on the road, these are big danger to people riding two wheeler even to the 4 wheelers ...... and i hate these politicians hoardings, amit is right i also feel that they are laughing at us.

thanks for reminding me the good ol' school days, we used to have big celebrations
Old 15th August 2008, 02:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

The digital printing technology has made it possible for all the chota-mota guys to print their ugly faces on flex boards wishing happy birthday to their leaders of political parties/whatever. None of these guys care for the well-being of the country, it is only filling their pockets that matters.

We say India is shining and all that, but until the core attitude of an average Indian undergoes a drastic change, we as a country are going nowhere.

Happy Independence day !

Last edited by kuttapan : 15th August 2008 at 02:46.
Old 15th August 2008, 15:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
2. Whos responsible for bribing or making habituated for them to ask for bribes?

What do you do when your stuck with ur personal work at a Govt. office or best example, when you are encountered by Traffic Cops when you break signal or dont carry driving license/PUC/Insurances for your vehicle, in accidents?

Question to be asked to self...(My View)

No offense Amtak ..the mess is generic to all

Cheers and Vande Mataram~
Well said Rudrah!
We offer bribes rather than they takin it!
Again no offense meant to anyone!
It is "We... The People!"
Old 15th August 2008, 16:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
The digital printing technology has made it possible for all the chota-mota guys to print their ugly faces on flex boards wishing happy birthday to their leaders of political parties/whatever.
LOL ! How true. Few years back, it was the same guy wishing his leader. Now he is on the other end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks