Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 14:11   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Surcharge is not reflected.
Even if you have a zero surcharge card, the transaction statement will reflect 2.5% extra, and there will be another transaction titled "cashback" where you will be refunded this extra amount
I agree.

If you fill petrol for 100 bucks.
The credit card will show the value as 102.5
another line in the statement will refund the 2.5
Old 29th July 2009, 14:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerdude View Post
Hello BHPians,

I filled petrol on 26th July from the petrol opposite to the IBM/EMC building on Bannerghatta road. I had him fill petrol worth Rs. 268/- on my Citibank credit card. I also signed the credit card slip which had the right amount.

Today when I look at my Citibank account online it reflects a charge of Rs. 278/- Now is that normal.

I read a few threads on this forum about some surcharge that is charged. If thats true then the surcharge amount should be reflected on the credit card slip right??

Please Advice.
Most credit cards are with 0% surcharge scheme today. Check with citibank if your card comes under that cos i suspect it does not.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:29   #78
BHPian

With Fuel being a very low margin business, petrol pumps (read Oil Companies) have always surcharged the payments through the credit card. They are not ready to pay a commission to the credit card companies for transactions done through the card.

Seeing the need to capture everyday spends on the card, all Credit Card companies have tied-up with different oil companies where their cardmember transactions will not be levied any transaction fee. For eg American Express has a tie-up with HPCL, Citi has a tie-up with Indian Oil etc.

However if you use your credit card at petrol pumps of companies where your credit card company has not tied-up with then there will be transaction fee charged to you which is usually 2.5% of the total transaction value.

Hope the above info is of use.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:45   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for info on CC & pump tie ups:
ICICI bank - HP
ICICI bank platinum - no surcharge on any pump
SBI - BP
SBI gold & platinum - no surcharge at any pump
Citibank any card - Indian Oil

Don't know about other cards... people can add to the list
Old 29th July 2009, 15:09   #80
BHPian

HSBC credit card - Zero surcharge on any petrol pump
Old 29th July 2009, 15:13   #81
BHPian

I have a Citibank Suvidha Debit Card - no surcharge by any petrol pump.

Last edited by woof : 29th July 2009 at 15:21.
Old 29th July 2009, 15:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Just for info on CC & pump tie ups:
ICICI bank - HP
ICICI bank platinum - no surcharge on any pump
SBI - BP
SBI gold & platinum - no surcharge at any pump
Citibank any card - Indian Oil

Don't know about other cards... people can add to the list
Just to add up.
Citibank platinum card - no surcharge at any pump
Old 29th July 2009, 15:38   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Just to add up.
Citibank platinum card - no surcharge at any pump
No. I have a citibank jetairways platinum card. No surcharge only on indian oil pumps.

AFAIK, no citicard has a waiver across all pumps.
Old 29th July 2009, 16:34   #84
BHPian

The 0% surcharge cards have a condition that stipulates that the surcharge will be 0% only if the charge slip is for an amount above Rs 400 and below Rs 4000.

Also - some banks have cards that give you a small cash back on fuel - I have a Standard Chartered card that advertises 5% cash back on fuel.

What they actually do is that they charge me a 2.5% surcharge on the amount, then reverse it and give me a 2.5% cashback. Saves me Rs 25 on every Rs 1000 worth of fuel.

And this cashback is applicable across any petrol pumps in India.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 29th July 2009 at 16:35.
Old 29th July 2009, 16:55   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
No. I have a citibank jetairways platinum card. No surcharge only on indian oil pumps.

AFAIK, no citicard has a waiver across all pumps.
Well when i got mine- CItibank platinum credit card i was informed it is applicable to all petrol pump.
To re confirm i had just send them an email and will update in due course of time.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

HDFC platinum credit card offers zero surcharge on fuels purchase between Rs400 to Rs 5000 at any fuel station in India.

. Any transaction out side these specified value will attract a 2.5% surcharge.Be sure you stick to these limits while tanking up
Old 29th July 2009, 18:42   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by major View Post
HSBC credit card - Zero surcharge on any petrol pump
HSBC levies surcharge for Petrol transactions for the Classic cards from June 1st.

I had this card for quite a long time and have been using only for this purpose. A shocker came in the latest bill when I found that there was a total surcharge of more than Rs.100. When enquired, they said it is implemented from June 1st and customers were informed in the April month statement! I immediately checked the statement ( which surprisingly I had) and there was no mention. Then comes the explanation from HSBC that they had enclosed a leaflet mentioning this change in the envelope, ONLY in the month of April about this! But who cares these loads of leaflets on various crap offers we get normally?? Atleast I didn't care and paid the price too.

I got the card cancelled last week.

Last edited by menonrajesh : 29th July 2009 at 18:44.
Old 29th July 2009, 20:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
HDFC platinum credit card offers zero surcharge on fuels purchase between Rs400 to Rs 5000 at any fuel station in India.
I have hdfc platinum card. When I fill for Rs500, they charge 513.xx and then refund 12.xx. There is a small difference of about Re1.
Have you noticed this? When I called them up and asked about the difference, I was told that this amount is for service tax and will be reversed in 45 days.
I have yet to see that happen.

Regards,
Old 29th July 2009, 22:59   #89
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Have the same card but never tallied if refund is for exact amount of not. Will check now.
Old 30th July 2009, 00:26   #90
Senior - BHPian

Mix credit cards and petrol bunks and there is bound to be fire!

Most foreign banks and private banks as well as some PSU banks offer cards where no extra amount is charged for tanking up. There are several mechanisms - the best is -nil- surcharge, you buy for Rs. X and get a charge slip for Rs. X and your statement shows Rs. X. Like I said, this is the best. The others are - refund or reversal of charges, as people have pointed out - the figures vary (never to the card holders advantage though - never seen a bank charge Rs.100 and reverse or refund Rs.101) or the taxes etc. are swallowed up by some unspeakable horror of a monster. Cash back schemes - they charge a surcharge and give you a discount which is more than the surcharge - these schemes are ok, if there is transparency and the customer saves a bit after all the charges, taxes etc.

I am using two citicards - one is the IOC co-branded one and the other is a plati. The IOC one gives extra reward points for spends at IOC bunks. Both my Citi cards have a 0% surcharge across all fuel bunks. My Stan Chart and HSBC cards too worked on the same principle (I need to check on my HSBC card in light of the info here).

The moral of the story = read the fine print, the devil is in the details. Pick a scheme with absolute transparency and ease of operation.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks