Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 11:22   #1
Team-BHP Support

How to Clean Greasy Hands?

Anyone who has worked on a vehicle will understand that its not easy to wash of the grease and dirt.

Yesterday we swapped the silencers on my bike (stock) with my friends Retro.

The muffler was jammed into the D Pipe and we had a lot of fun trying to remove it.
Long story short by the time we finished our hands were covered in all sorts of black stuff.

Sprayed some WD40 and then washed of with Tide detergent powder then Lifebuoy handwash and finally some regular soap to get the hands clean.

This is a thread dedicated to clean hands.

MOds: if wrong section please do the due. Thanks.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:44   #2
jav
BHPian

I found shampoo was the best in cleaning all the grease especially the ones which come mixed with conditioner
Old 25th August 2008, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Washing Machine powders work well so does Utensil cleaners like axion or vim. However nothing can beat petrol, diesel or kerosene in thier greese cleaning action. Please remember that all these cleaning agents are not good for the skin and thier usage should always be kept to minimum.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 25th August 2008 at 11:56. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 25th August 2008, 12:06   #4
BHPian

There is a hand cleaner meant for removing garage grime available in the West called 'Swarfwega', if I'm not mistaken. wonderful stuff, even gets the nail beds clean.
Unfortunately I have never seen it in any shop here.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:06   #5
BHPian

Medimix Soap

Medimix soap is also very good to remove oil or grease from hands etc.We may have to use it twice but its better than using other harsher detergents.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Try to get these WATERLESS HAND CLEANERS (not seen in India):
Swarfega
Goop
Sta-lube
and many more ....
These are specially formulated creams that will remove the toughest grease, carbon, paints, shellacs etc. and are gentle enough on the hands.
They are Waterless types, ie. you use the cream WITHOUT water (which renders them ineffective!). After a thorough rubbing in, you wipe with cloth/paper-towels and then wash with water if you would like to.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:52   #7
BHPian

Aha,
The grease under the nails problem. My solution is simple. I have a box of surgical latex gloves. Hands stay clean, and the latex provides better grip that sweaty hands. At 3rs a pair, cheapest solution
Vijay
Old 25th August 2008, 13:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Agreed that gloves are the way to go, but rather than latex gloves, wouldn't it be better to use some work gloves (like the ones we see used by foreign mechs)? They would offer protection from burns and cuts as well as keep our hands clean.

OT: I have been trying to get a pair of work gloves for some time now but can't seem to find anything in bangalore. Can someone suggest some shop where to get them from ?

- Ramesh
Old 25th August 2008, 13:03   #9
BHPian

Ramesh,

Mechs abroad also use latex gloves for fine work. you can always use a pair of protective gloves for working with large tools, but cant tune a carb with those on. you need to be touch and feel .

Vijay
Old 25th August 2008, 13:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

I used to work in machinery,clean your greasy hands with a cloth take petrol or keroscene and clean and rub hands properly,wipe of hands with cloth use surf or washing powder dry hands and after sometime wash with lifebuoy..hands clean
Old 25th August 2008, 16:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Try to get these WATERLESS HAND CLEANERS (not seen in India):
An alternate:
Try Amway's Nature Shower. Its not a waterless hand cleaner but still can be used like one and immediately rinse off with water.
more info in this link:
Welcome to AmwayIndia - Products

appears a bit on the expensive side, considering that we dont grease our hands everyday but for regular usage this bottle last for quite a long duration(more than a year in my case)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks