Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:08   #1
BHPian

Options for Japanese language expert

Hi,
One of my friend's wife is a Japanese language expert and has work experience in some media companies for their Japanese content (Imagine saas-bahu serials in Japanese )

Now, after marriage, she is thinking about what options she has in Mumbai. A few that come to mind are,

1. Teach as a faculty in the Japanese language institutes - Low morale, nothing new to do, no further scope

2. Be a consultant and take sessions for corporates having offices or clients in Japan - Requires contacts and some good marketing strategies.

Can anyone think of anything else that she can realistically do in Mumbai? She does not have capital to invest and start her own language classes. Also, do you know of any corporates that look out for such trainings or some consultancy that provides such trainings (so that she can work for them)?
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

I think consulates could certainly use the services of someone who is familiar with both, the language of their origin and the domestic language. I recently met some guy from Russia who was provided the service of a translator, apparently by the Russian consulate in India. There must be many other applications.
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:17   #3
BHPian

yup agree with bass&trouble.

contact the consulate, they get a lot of enquiries for interpreters (text... i had to translate a technical manual from russian to english, quoted me 500/page). Also high ranked government delegates, corporates need translators & will not hesitate paying well rather than bringing down one from Japan.

also i'm not very sure about this but one of our bhpian rkbharat is in Japan, maybe he can get you onto some contacts. maybe, no harm in trying. put in a word.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 2nd September 2008 at 16:29.
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Hi,
One of my friend's wife is a Japanese language expert and has work experience in some media companies for their Japanese content (Imagine saas-bahu serials in Japanese )

Now, after marriage, she is thinking about what options she has in Mumbai. A few that come to mind are,

1. Teach as a faculty in the Japanese language institutes - Low morale, nothing new to do, no further scope

2. Be a consultant and take sessions for corporates having offices or clients in Japan - Requires contacts and some good marketing strategies.

Can anyone think of anything else that she can realistically do in Mumbai? She does not have capital to invest and start her own language classes. Also, do you know of any corporates that look out for such trainings or some consultancy that provides such trainings (so that she can work for them)?
If your friends wife is willing relocate to Japan she would have some great oppurtunity to work as a translator in major MNC's ..I have conducted many trainings in Japan and mostly i would have 2 translators to translate english to Japanese and they are paid a bomb for the same...
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Some lady i know works in Maruti Suzuki as the Japanese head bosses secretary/translator and is paid quite well too.
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:02   #6
BHPian

she might have some luck with software companies too who need translators for Manuals or software themselves if being developed for Japanese clients. I have hired services of translators in bangalore for my previous employer and they used to charge 5-6 rs per word.
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:16   #7
BHPian

@thread starter
I know someone who runs a small company dealing with translation services(mainly documents etc). Pm me if you need info.
Also, recently i've been looking to enroll in a Japanese language class myself, Do you have any suggestions for any place that prepare you for atleast JLPT Level 4?
Old 3rd September 2008, 11:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

KalpeshC
It will depend on what JLPT level she has cleared. Teaching isn't a great option.
Working as a translator in some firm with Japanese collaboration would be good or working for a consulate as suggested by Ajay...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Also, recently i've been looking to enroll in a Japanese language class myself, Do you have any suggestions for any place that prepare you for atleast JLPT Level 4?
I wouldn't suggest u to learn Japanese if u are joining for a course alone. . Learning this very abstract language alone can make u mad, Group study is the best solution to crack this language.....
BTW I've cleared JLPT 4..
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think IT is very good industry for people having such rare skills.

I am currently looking for 5 people with good English-Japanese skills in Pune desperately
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:30   #10
BHPian

@kpzen
I never did say i plan to study it alone, im just looking for suggestions on a classes within my city. Thanks for the info
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
@kpzen
I never did say i plan to study it alone, im just looking for suggestions on a classes within my city. Thanks for the info
I know, it was just a suggestion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks