Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 00:14   #1
BHPian

Wood flooring for residence

Hi all,
Wanted to know the practical advantages of using Wood flooring in Living and Bedrooms. I hear that they are much easier to lay and need very less time and is a boon for people in flats as you dont have to knock or break the existing tiles flooring.

So my question:
1. What are the advantages of wood flooring compared to regular tiles
2. How easy are they to maintain with a dog who sheds hair everyday
3. What does it cost for a good laminated wood flooring

I found this link useful:
Wood flooring manufacturers India, Teak wood Flooring Company India, Engineered Wood Floors

Pls let me know as I am renovating my flat.

Cheers!
Old 10th September 2008, 00:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Hi all,
Wanted to know the practical advantages of using Wood flooring in Living and Bedrooms. I hear that they are much easier to lay and need very less time and is a boon for people in flats as you dont have to knock or break the existing tiles flooring.

So my question:
1. What are the advantages of wood flooring compared to regular tiles
What you are looking for probably is parquet flooring. One can lay wooden or as you suggested Laminate flooring. it is not the same as Laminated flooring. I hope you get the point.
There are many advantages over tiled or marble flooring.

One is insulation. I.e. it keeps the warmth in during cold weather andr vice versa.
It is practically chip free as compared to tiles
Very easy to install without any cementing etc.
It is easy to maintain
It is laid on the existing flooring or tile as it needs a levelled surface.
It is relatively more economical than regular flooring (and laminate is still cheaper than wood)
It easy to maintain and are mostly scratch and fade resistant
It is non skid

Quote:
2. How easy are they to maintain with a dog who sheds hair everyday
Very. Just sweep and clean

Quote:
3. What does it cost for a good laminated wood flooring
Anything from rs 100/- per sq.ft. to 250/- Fitting is usually included if the area is fairly large.
Old 10th September 2008, 00:52   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Random thoughts...

In Chennai, you may like that tiles, granite or marble will always feel relatively cool under your feet; wood will not. Whether or not you get on with this sensory difference is very personal.

A hardwood floor is a beautiful thing that may last for a long, long time. A cheap laminated-board system may be ruined the first time someone drags a chair across it.

No wood will resist scratching and marking like ceramic or granite, although even they are not indestructible, as a stupid carpenter proved in my kitchen, with a hammer!

My biggest worry is the interaction with the climate. Wood here has to stand very high humidity levels, alternated with relative dryness from AC systems. (not to mention insects)

Depending on the finish, you may find that you cannot just mop and dry, and you may find that the finish needs attention every few years.

Good wood flooring is solid planks of wood, properly cut and seasoned.

Laminated flooring --- depends on the material and thickness of the all-important top layer, and the quality of the supporting ply. Some of those top layers can be very thin, or even actually a design printed on paper! Scratching is disastrous.

Mentioning insects... I'm not sure I'd want to live with the amount of insecticide that would have to be permeated into the wood to stop it becoming an ants nest!

My suspicion is that the results will be directly proportional to what you pay, and a really good result will cost a fortune -- and be very beautiful.
Old 10th September 2008, 01:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Random thoughts...

In Chennai, you may like that tiles, granite or marble will always feel relatively cool under your feet; wood will not. Whether or not you get on with this sensory difference is very personal.

A hardwood floor is a beautiful thing that may last for a long, long time. A cheap laminated-board system may be ruined the first time someone drags a chair across it.

No wood will resist scratching and marking like ceramic or granite, although even they are not indestructible, as a stupid carpenter proved in my kitchen, with a hammer!

My biggest worry is the interaction with the climate. Wood here has to stand very high humidity levels, alternated with relative dryness from AC systems. (not to mention insects)

Depending on the finish, you may find that you cannot just mop and dry, and you may find that the finish needs attention every few years.

Good wood flooring is solid planks of wood, properly cut and seasoned.

Laminated flooring --- depends on the material and thickness of the all-important top layer, and the quality of the supporting ply. Some of those top layers can be very thin, or even actually a design printed on paper! Scratching is disastrous.

Mentioning insects... I'm not sure I'd want to live with the amount of insecticide that would have to be permeated into the wood to stop it becoming an ants nest!

My suspicion is that the results will be directly proportional to what you pay, and a really good result will cost a fortune -- and be very beautiful.
Yes i do agree with the granite or stone flooring being cooler that wood in the summers.

No wood flooring does not scratch when a chair is dragged on it only under drastic conditions but of course, hard floorings are definately indestructible.

Yes some really cheap ones will scratch easily but then the salesman can advise as to which one should be bought, depending on the area and kind of usage or rather abuse.

Insects are not a problem. Mostly all of them are guaranteed to be insect proof, ie termite and wood boring worm proof. I have been using wooden flooring as well as laminate (faux wood) flooring. In today's times, laminate flooring is as good as wooden flooring. Its a personal choice really.
I have never faced an ant problem specific to the wooden flooring.

Thats why i suggested Parquet flooring which is treated against all the things pointed out in the previous post.

There are many many companies and products to choose from. Choose the best suited for your use. Remember, you dont do up your house every now and then.
Old 10th September 2008, 01:28   #5
BHPian

Thanks for your responses. How good is Pergo? Do we have good dealers in chennai?
Old 10th September 2008, 01:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Pergo is a Swedish company and one of the first parkett/parquet companies that made its presence here in India.

They have good products (the cheaper series is made in the far east) and a good selection and back-up. I am in the process of getting Pergo laid on the floor of 2 rooms in my home.
Old 10th September 2008, 01:35   #7
BHPian

Sam: Whats the price like?
Old 10th September 2008, 01:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Sam: Whats the price like?
Close to 200 bucks a square foot is what I am doing. Add the t-sections and stairnoses and and borders and I will have spent about 300 bucks I think.
Old 10th September 2008, 02:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Be nice to see pics; before, work in progress, and, of course, after, Sam
Old 10th September 2008, 09:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@madbullram: I have wooden flooring (Laminated) in the complete area of my apartment (except the balcony) for the last 2.5 years now in Bangalore. Here is my feedback:

1. VERY easy to install and one can start using the room/area almost immediately.

2. Can be removed and taken with you to your next house

3. can be laid on existing floors and no need of any preparation etc. (just needs the dampner that the install person would bring). You would also need the 'beading' and comes in various varieties. Budget for that. It can be quite expensive :-)

4. Very easy to maintain. Vacuum is good enough and our maid soes mopping with a damp cloth every day (only water -- no domex etc..).

5. In high traffic areas (living/dining/drawing/kitchen room) you would see foot marks in the day as people walk (especially, if you have light coming in that shows these marks in great detail :-) ). But these marks go off next day during mopping

6. I have had to fix cork bits on the legs of all my furniture/sofa, tables,bed, almirah, etc etc. This heps prevent scratches while moving the furniture around. Also, very heavy furniture is kept on top of small carpets.

7. No chipping/fading till now.

8. No issues if water/food etc falls down. Just mop and it is back to normal.

9. If you go for the 'non smooth' pattern (which has rough lines on top), then be prepared for dust/grime to settle in over time -- but not something to worry about. Regular cleaning will prevent this also.

Cheers,
Old 10th September 2008, 09:44   #11
BHPian

Hi madbullram, I have wooden laminate flooring in my study for two years now and so, far there are no issues what so ever. Very simple to maintain and the price range starts from Rs.80 to Rs.250.

I got it from Square Foot in Bangalore and you can check this site for further details - Floorings.
Old 10th September 2008, 09:49   #12
BHPian

I have wooden flooring (Pergo) in my bedrooms. I am not sure how well it will do in other high traffic zones such as kitchen and dining given the propensity to become damp and stained. In Bangalore weather it seems perfectly ok with temperature more or less stable and reasonable levels of humidity.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:28   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We have been using Pergo's flooring since 2 years and it has held up very well. Material quality is good; what I liked even more was their professional service & inch-perfect install. A combination of Pergo in some rooms and marble in others gives the house a great look.

Note : Pergo is not the absolute best when it comes to flooring, there are several other independent options which use higher-quality wood and will look better / last longer. Your architect will guide you better. I'd recommend Pergo only for low traffic areas (bedroom etc.). Further, Pergo is allergic to water. A dripping air-con did cause a small patch of bubbles.

Check this picture out.....ship-board like effect.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood flooring for residence-dsc00055.jpg  

Old 10th September 2008, 11:55   #14
BHPian

Ive got wood flooring done for a small family area in the first floor.
They are prone to scratches, spilling water is a no-no. I have cane furnitures to match the mood

I got the builder to do the flooring with actual teak strips, like a criss-cross pattern. But the installer messed it up big time, time to polish.

Dont ask me the price.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:18   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
.. They are prone to scratches,
Yes. That's why it is advisable to have cork pegs on the base/legs of your furniture. They are easily available in METRO -- Rs 45 for a set of 12.

Quote:
.. spilling water is a no-no....
IIRC, I would myself have spilled water at least a dozen times over the last 2 years on my laminated/wooden flooring. Also the maid would have spilled water in the Kitchen countless times.

The issue would arise if you DON'T wipe off the water at that time itself. One should not leave the water standing/accumulating on laminated/wooden floors

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks