Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

How do we ensure we catch trains and planes. They do not leave 10min-15min later than planned ? Well, planes might be!
Old 23rd September 2008, 13:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
How do we ensure we catch trains and planes. They do not leave 10min-15min later than planned ? Well, planes might be!
Lets not mix business (travel) with pleasure (theatre) here.

Old 24th September 2008, 01:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
As long as one can get you to come for one of our shows (whenever that happens) that's fine. Rest assured, tickets will be taken care of. All you need to do is show up.
Sure thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar
Why are you watching the same show twice any way?? And next time you come to RS do call upon us who live in the vicinity.
Like I said, a friend and a good cause. I did end up meeting someone who lives nearby, whom I'm sure you know from O-Show and some kroaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Until the advent of KF, never seen a plane leaving on time. And then again, I NEED the plane, but I don't need the play. You may call it arrogance, I call it emptor rex.

sa1nik, you live in RT Nagar. I cannot think of a place that is further from Ranga Shankara! Maybe Devanahalli...
Old 24th September 2008, 01:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

v1p3r,

Entering late is a huge distraction to performers. It's just as bad as a ringing cellphone. Though i can understand its also frustrating to be locked out.
Too bad the doors didnt have little slits in them.

If the lesson you have learnt from this is "this is why theater suffers - because people like me will never go again" as opposed to "next time i should make sure i get to a theater performance on time" it seems more than just theatre is doomed

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2008 at 01:35.
Old 24th September 2008, 02:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If the lesson you have learnt from this is "this is why theater suffers - because people like me will never go again" as opposed to "next time i should make sure i get to a theater performance on time" it seems more than just theatre is doomed
Theatre looks doomed because they give you stupid reasons like 'acoustics get disturbed'. If they had said, we're sorry but the performance has begun, and we cannot let you in just now. If you would care to wait for an intermission, or for someone to use the bathroom, you can enter in a short while. And please, someone tell me you're allowed to go to the loo if you want!

I'm told (too late) that RS has something called a late-comers window. I don't know what it is, but I assume you're not made to watch through a window. Sounds helpful, will make a mental note for the next time.

And I'm just a bit OTT on the whingeing. I'm probably going for another performance of the same show again. The things one does for good friends and good causes.

Objectively speaking, what differentiates this from a concert of any kind? And what does one say to a poor cricketer or footballer when thousands of people are screaming and running around waving colourful things in their faces? Isn't that distracting?
Old 24th September 2008, 03:03   #21
BHPian

Hey dude, theatres carry some ethical tradition with them and they are closely bounded with them. If you notice, not all common people will visit the theater play, like how many people will go watch move or some game in the stadium.

If RS management had not mentioned disclaimer on the ticket then it can be given as feedback to Arundathi Nag and I am sure she will be getting it fixed. I understand that the theater authority would have spoken to you without sense or they were not able to put it across to you in the right way. I would suggest you to give a feedback about your experience to Arundathi Nag and she will be the best person to explain you why they didn’t allow you after the show time.

As you have mentioned that you had been to see a show of your friend, ask the same friend from how long he/she was practicing for the show, how many auditions they had given before making it to final show, it’s the respect RS pay to them.

Even if I was in your position I would have felt frustrated about this issue, but we need to understand that theatres culture is very different and we cannot compare it to other things.
Old 24th September 2008, 03:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
...And please, someone tell me you're allowed to go to the loo if you want!...
Only one way to find out!!

Quote:
...I'm told (too late) that RS has something called a late-comers window. I don't know what it is, but I assume you're not made to watch through a window....
I wouldnt be too suprised if it was "just a window"!

Quote:
...And I'm just a bit OTT on the whingeing. I'm probably going for another performance of the same show again. The things one does for good friends and good causes...
And the world is a beautiful place again.

Quote:
...Objectively speaking, what differentiates this from a concert of any kind? And what does one say to a poor cricketer or footballer when thousands of people are screaming and running around waving colourful things in their faces? Isn't that distracting?
There is a different level and a different kind of concentration by the performers (and im not even talking about cirque del sol el level! lol).

Surely you must have done some sort of elocution or speech in school. How distracting would it be if people kept walking in and out of the hall?
Now compare that to a similar distraction while you were playing cricket or football. Couldnt possibly be as bad right?

cheers,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th September 2008 at 03:36.
Old 25th September 2008, 01:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Surely you must have done some sort of elocution or speech in school. How distracting would it be if people kept walking in and out of the hall?
Been there done that, and yeah people walk in and out all the time. So what does one do? Suck it up and get on with it, or atleast that's what I used to do.

Anyway, like you said, the world is a beautiful place again.
Old 25th September 2008, 02:18   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suck it up and get on with it, or atleast that's what I used to do.
Or make rules and stick to them, if you believe in your content.

like RS.
Old 25th September 2008, 03:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I'm told (too late) that RS has something called a late-comers window. I don't know what it is, but I assume you're not made to watch through a window. Sounds helpful, will make a mental note for the next time.
Boy, the late comers window is a just that...a window through which you get to see the performance and the audio is transmitted through a speaker that barely does it's job. It's next to the light and sound room and the mosquitos will eat you alive. I tried watching a play from here when I did sound for a play that has very few sound cues and gave up in 30 seconds.!!! It isn't helpful at all!

OT, what you have to tell me is who this common friend/acquaintance is from O-show!! If you won'd disclose on the forum lets do dinner and drinks at windsor pub next week?
Old 27th September 2008, 02:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Or make rules and stick to them, if you believe in your content.

like RS.
Well then be prepared to lose clientele. And don't pretend to compete with concerts/movies and moan when they steal your thunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikkumar View Post
OT, what you have to tell me is who this common friend/acquaintance is from O-show!! If you won'd disclose on the forum lets do dinner and drinks at windsor pub next week?
A tempting bribe! Think about it -- how many Opus regulars do you know who also live in JP Nagar?
Old 26th April 2010, 12:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Some real Drama discussions please!

Anybody regular goers to Ranga Shankara? I am keen in watching a play there!
Old 26th April 2010, 12:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Lol it seems to be a trend on TBhp lately to dig up long lost threads
Old 26th April 2010, 12:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Lol it seems to be a trend on TBhp lately to dig up long lost threads
I did not dig up an old thread.

Found this thread when i googled about Ranga Shankara!
Old 26th April 2010, 13:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

I've seen quite a few plays at Rangashankara (and also covered one of their play as a photographer and was actually very worried that the shutter clicks would disturb the performers). I must say that I really have enjoyed the plays there and they are really strict about the rules of entering and exiting the theater and I think they should be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks