Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2008, 12:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Anybody in/near Darlington, UK ?

Hi Guys,

I will be traveling to Darlington UK for 3 months on Business visa. Also for some time I will be in Crewe and Beeston. Could anybody help me on the following queries?

1. Normal weather trend in Darlington around Oct - Jan time frame
2. How costly the town is with respect to living and shopping
3. How well connected it is with other parts of the UK if wish to go to places in UK
4. Anybody on our forum already/near to this town?
5. Nearest airport and time to reach the airport
6. India food availability

Thanks
Abhijeet
Old 30th September 2008, 18:34   #2
BHPian

I haven't lived in Darlington but have lived up north in Manchester and Leeds. But I can still share some information which might be useful to you.

1. Normal weather trend in Darlington around Oct - Jan time frame
As it is in North England, it would be cold! Make sure you have a woollen overcoat and thermals. Check BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather for the present weather conditions in Darlington.

2. No idea about living costs. As you will be here for 3 months, I assume you'll be living in a hotel??

3. It is well connected to the rest of the UK that I am sure about. You can catch the train or coach to anywhere. If you want cheap tickets, book in atleast 2-3 weeks in advance. You can easily get coach tickets for London/Manchester/Leeds etc. for £3-£7 one way. Even £1 tickets are possible but you need to book about 1 month in advance. Book at National Express United Kingdom // Homepage or for rail travel check National Rail Enquiries - Official source for rail information, UK train times and timetables

4. Nearest Airport is Durham Tees Valley. But I can bet there would no direct flights there. Still find out from your travel agent. Otherwise come to London and book your train/coach tickets from London to Darlington. Try those websites above. If not let me know I'll help you out.

5. Indian Food Availability? Yaar please the "Indian" restaurant you'll get there will be 90% owned by a Bangladeshi so its one curry but different vegetables/meat. I would not even suggest having it. Have it when you go to Manchester/London, its still tolerable. If you are getting your own place, then get a few packs of pre-cooked food. Just heat and Eat!

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited by Brabus E V12 : 30th September 2008 at 18:36. Reason: Problem with Font
Old 30th September 2008, 19:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks brother !!! It is indeed helpful. I guess my company will provide a hotel room with attached kitchen so I guess I need to get some pre-cooked stuff with me. Lets see how it works out to be. If I have any difficulty I will pakka PM you for help.
Old 30th September 2008, 19:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Hey thanks brother !!! It is indeed helpful. I guess my company will provide a hotel room with attached kitchen so I guess I need to get some pre-cooked stuff with me. Lets see how it works out to be. If I have any difficulty I will pakka PM you for help.
Hey no prob man..

Hope you enjoy ur stay in UK!
Old 30th September 2008, 20:17   #5
BHPian

Hi,
I am living in Birmingham UK and could guide you a bit about the information you sought.
1) The weather at that time of the year would be cold, so do carry woollens, over coat, gloves and woollen scarf. Since it can rain any time don't forget to carry a water proof jacket/umbrella or something similar.
2) If you are not planning to spend on accommodation then its not very expensive. Again its very subjective as it depends if you plan to eat outside or plan to cook yourself. Its generally expensive to eat out side.
3) You will find trains to most of the cities from Darlington.Though most of them will not be direct journey and you will need to change, depending on where you want to go. But yeah since You would not be too far off from Leeds ( around 70 miles) you would be preety well connected. You can book the tickest from the sites "Brabus" has mentioned.
4) The nearest airport for International flights would be either London or Manchester. However you would not find direct flights from India to Manchester.
5) Indian food- As "Brabus" has rightly pointed out most of the Indian restaurants are owned by Bangladeshis and taste of food is no where near authentic. You can get good quality per packaged Indian food at supermarkets, which you can get and heat it in microwave just before eating. Similarly you can get pre made rotis, pulaw etc.

If you fwant any more information or need any help then feel free to get in touch.
Old 1st October 2008, 09:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hey thanks guys. I will get in touch with you once I land in UK on 12th Oct. My accommodation would be taken care by my company. May be a hotel room or an apartment. Seems I have to shuttle between London and Darlington as most probably the flight would from from and to London. It wont be a problem as the rail network is good in UK.
Old 1st October 2008, 18:36   #7
BHPian

If you come to London, get the tube/metro from Heathrow to Kings Cross St. Pancras. Its direct so you wont have to change and would cost you £4.

If you ask someone how to go to Central London, most of the times they tell you to catch the Heathrow Express train that costs £16.50. So travel by tube, its easy and direct. Remember London can be a huge rip-off for tourists if you don't know your way around!

Once you reach Kings Cross, you can catch a direct train to Darlington (about 2 hours max).

If the journey would be paid by your company, simply buy a saver return ticket (you can return to London within 1 month). If you are paying for it yourself, I would suggest booking the ticket via the net in advance as it would save you a considerable amount.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks