Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 21:49   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Shipping articles from USA: Any shipping companies?

I had seen a thread & some posts in it which mentioned some websites that pick goods from US and courier/ship the goods in India. The website even had a bangalore office/address.

Now even after 2 days of searching in T-BHP, I am unable to find that thread/posts or remember the website.

Anyone here knows of that thread or that website? I have some very important stuff for my Gypsy in the US ready to be shipped but my friends can't carry it on person as it is quite bulky & heavy & all metal.

My future mods in my Gypsy are all on hold because of that..

PS: Mods, please merge it with the thread that already exists but I am unable to locate.
Old 18th November 2008, 22:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ask your buddies to ship it to India by UPS. they have a shipping option which is cheaper but takes more time. You will find all their addresses in India & US on their website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I had seen a thread & some posts in it which mentioned some websites that pick goods from US and courier/ship the goods in India. The website even had a bangalore office/address.

Old 18th November 2008, 22:09   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

UPS takes a lot of time.

Shahnawaz, shipping through DHL/TNT etc will cost you a bomb but the thing is they will handle all customs work and you will have to pay them what they quote.

The advantage of having someone carry it for you is that you can haggle with the officials here, perhaps negotiate it to a lot less than you would pay for customs anyways.

If cost is not an issue, try DHL or TNT. They have their branches in Bangalore.
Old 18th November 2008, 22:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

UPS does not take a lot of time. It depends on the shipping option you choose. Express air frieght is the fastest and the most expensive. The quickest they have shipped to me until now is 4 days. All courier companies including UPS,DHL,TNT handle the customs clearing. Depending upon the weight of your parcel and your pocket you can choose the best option suitable for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
UPS takes a lot of time.
Old 18th November 2008, 22:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

" IC " -Interest check .Import any thing , what you guys want to import? - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com

the gent quoted very decent rates in PM. For bulky stuff, no idea
Old 18th November 2008, 22:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

there is an importer who goes by the name of katmandude. He's present on a lot of PC hardware sites like techenclave and THL. I suppose he's not active here due to the non commercial naure of Team Bhp. He imports mostly electronics and PC hardware, and his logistics are very well oiled and are very reliable. I'm not sure whether he is into heavy machinery
Old 18th November 2008, 23:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

thread.

Some information in this thread -> Dealing with courier / shipping when buying from ebay abroad...
Old 19th November 2008, 03:17   #8
BHPian

There is a company called air7seas.com who does the international shipping. They offer freight transportation thru air and sea. Most of my colleagues who send bulk stuff to India (When they permanently relocate under Transfer of residency policy) use their service and the rates seems to be reasonable for large shipments.

For 50 cubic feet door-to-door delivery they charged $1000 for my friend last month (Inclusive of customs fees). I am not sure about small packages, but worth a try.
Old 19th November 2008, 07:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Greenie:
The link i posted is for katman dude only

Great men think alike.
Old 19th November 2008, 09:05   #10
BHPian

I think Shahnawaz, this is the link you are looking for. I had bookmarked the same, when it was mentioned by Rehaan I think, in the previous thread. I have not used them as yet.

http://www.iccworld.com/
Old 19th November 2008, 09:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I think Shahnawaz, this is the link you are looking for. I had bookmarked the same, when it was mentioned by Rehaan I think, in the previous thread. I have not used them as yet.

http://www.iccworld.com/
Yes. That's the one. Infact I remembered that Rehaan had mentioned this one.

Thanks Hemanth. I will bookmark it now :-)

Cheers,
Old 19th November 2008, 10:51   #12
BHPian

You can Try BAX Global - Airport to Airport Service.

Schenker India
Old 19th November 2008, 12:31   #13
BHPian

khan,
if you are in a hurry, then opt for courier, else contact Air Freight companies like Schenker, ActivAir, DHL Lemuir, BAX Global, GeoLogistics - just to name a few.

They will get it air-lifted and then customs cleared in Bangalore.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:45   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Khan_sultan,

The thing is that these guys usually do business with companies who have an account with them. However, give it a shot. Also, check out what the issue at customs will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
....stuff for my Gypsy in the US ready to be shipped but my friends can't carry it on person as it is quite bulky & heavy & all metal....
Take a look at my quoted post below >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
When i was trying to get some stuff from NYC to Bombay - i tried UPS, USPS, FedEx, DHL and some other couriers (bombino, iccworld etc) -- and what worked out easiest, quickest AND cheapest was paying an extra $123 for an extra (3rd) check-in bag (upto 50lbs).

Not sure if you can get better rates from the indian post office or DHL, UPS here....

cya
R
cya
R
Old 19th November 2008, 12:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, yes, I too came across ICC-World at team-bhp (a special thanks to Rehaan) Have used their services a few times & plan to do so a lot in the future !

If I remember correct, the first lb is $20, every lb after that is $5, & there is an additional 18% fuel surcharge. They're a cost effective way to get things shipped since most online shops do not ship here. For example, a 25 lbs package I shipped was quoted $260 by DHL-Express, the same through ICC-World worked out to around $155...

You need to have your stuff shipped to ICC's NYC office, from where they ship it out. Courier charges can be paid by credit-card & any customs duties levied on arrival are got from you on delivery. Delivery is very prompt, usually takes 2 to 4 days only...

Last edited by im_srini : 19th November 2008 at 12:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks