Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 17:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

O.T, I dont understand the fuss about poverty and slums. Anyone living in Mumbai can confirm that the majority of the population lives in the slums. IMO the movie is pretty realistic and shot exceptionally well.

Here is an extract from wikipedia about the Dharavi slum in Mumbai, which is also asia's largest.

Dharavi (Portuguese spelling Daravi[1] British Anglicised spelling Darravy, Dorrovy) is a slum and administrative ward, over parts of Sion, Bandra(E), Kurla and Kalina suburbs of Mumbai, India. Sandwiched between Mahim in the west and Sion in the east, is Dharavi.[2][3][4] Spread over an area of 175 hectares, Dharavi has a population of more than 600,000 people according to the Time Magazine.[5] BBC suggests it is home to over 1 million people.[6]

In the expensive Mumbai, Dharavi provides a cheap alternative where rents can be as low as 4 US dollars per month.[6] Dharavi exports goods around the world.[7] The total turnover is estimated to be more than 650 million US dollars
Old 13th January 2009, 17:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
O.T, I dont understand the fuss about poverty and slums. Anyone living in Mumbai can confirm that the majority of the population lives in the slums. IMO the movie is pretty realistic and shot exceptionally well.
The issue is not poverty or slums in Mumbai or any other part of India.
The issue is that why is it that western world finds only stories about India's poverty and slums mouthwatering.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:26   #18
BHPian

Not to take anything away from this glorious achievement but AR Rehmans international compositions have been horrific .. Bombay Dreams was one example. Not heard Slum Dog yet so cant say though.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard the music, didnt find it that outstanding. Most of his mainstream work sounds better - perhaps he got the award because it wasnt a Bollywood movie.
I agree ,loved the movie but the music was a big let down.
Old 13th January 2009, 17:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think there is a lot of difference in the way different people perceive music. What was so magical & entertaining for us may not excite another race, what is horrific, dull, stupid for us maybe exciting for some.
cheers

P.S I do wish we stop bashing our own, especially when he has won international acclaim which is not what we do everyday.
Old 14th January 2009, 02:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

I loved the music of Slumdog Millionaire and am so happy that he won a Golden Globe for it.
Cheers
Old 14th January 2009, 16:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

You've gotta be patient to admire the musical skills of that lil genius called AR Rahman. His music needs time to grow on you, but the effect lasts for years. Take for instance Taal, Roja, RDB, Rangeela or Dil Se. These soundtracks are still selling.

SM too has a very good OST. Its very international and in sync with the theme of the movie. Watch the movie on 70mm, and you'd realise the impact the background score and OST has on you. Both are composed by ARR. Watching it on DVD at home kills half the anyways.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Have seen the movie and it really picks up pace after the first 25-30 mins (out of 120 mins) and gets better as it runs to finally an intense climax. Jai Ho is at the end-credits. My opinion about the showing of India:
1. Like the story of blind people touching the elephant, the portrayal is as much true as the Yash Raj Films (Mumbai streets in Switzerland!!!). In fact, perhaps even more true since this is how more or less a majority of Indians live.
2. The portrayal of slums was intrinsic and did not look like a docu. negative piece.
3. The extent of filth may vary but this is how most of Indian cities look (forget about Lutyens Zone in Delhi) and this is perhaps how most of our fellow citizens live.
4. Being patriotic means seeing the truth, being ashamed about it, and doing something about it. India is not shining everywhere. There are close to 460 million or 40% of population living in desperate poverty.
5. Finally, SM was not shot on the Moon and no special effects were used in portraying Mumbai. That is how it is and that is how it is shown. If someone does not like it, he can close his eyes, or see and do something about it.
6. India is our home, a large part of which is dirty, and it would be better to see how some of our brothers and sisters live.
Old 27th January 2009, 10:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
You've gotta be patient to admire the musical skills of that lil genius called AR Rahman. His music needs time to grow on you, but the effect lasts for years.
Absolutely true. Nowadays very few of his songs are like those of 90s which we would drool over on hearing on the first instance. His new compositions gradually grow on you and then you are sunk!
for SM, also finding his score for Delhi 6 very good too...
Old 27th January 2009, 11:25   #25
BHPian

i think the music is really good,if you listen in a good hifi,its brilliant,i listen on a yamaha1400 amp with wharfdale saphire 89 tower speakers,and yamaha sub.the recording is great.talking about the movie, its amazingly directed,i think we should stop complaing the west is showing too much of our poverty and uncleanliness and instead get our country cleaned up.

Last edited by desigNation : 27th January 2009 at 11:27.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

The music is good & I liked it only that I found the Alka Yagnik number's base tune sounding too much like 'Choli ke peeche kya hai' AR lifting songs surprising.

Didnt find anything wrong with the poverty scenes & I felt that the script needed it.
Old 29th January 2009, 08:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
only that I found the Alka Yagnik number's base tune sounding too much like 'Choli ke peeche kya hai' AR lifting songs surprising.
It was indeed intended to sound like Choli Ke Peeche...
Old 29th January 2009, 12:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

and why is that, oh because of the Brothel scenes?
Old 29th January 2009, 13:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
and why is that, oh because of the Brothel scenes?
I don't know, haven't watched the movie yet!

But, on digging the www, here's what I found -

Music director A R Rahman, who has given the music for Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire, has used the controversial chartbuster Choli ke peeche kya hai as a part of the film's soundtrack and says it fitted the mood of the movie.

"The song fitted the mood of the film. It represents that period in the early 1990s. The colour, the swirl and the frenetic pace - so I've re-recorded it in the same two voices, Alka Yagnik and Ila Arun, though in a totally re-worked form," said Rahman.

Source
Old 29th January 2009, 13:24   #30
BHPian

Rehman is a gifted fellow. He can create music of any genre and most of the times it becomes a big hit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks