Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 09:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

NH8 Gurgaon - Death Trap !

The road particularly vulnerable to accidents is from Shankar chowk to Rajiv chowk. Almost everyday while going to office, i notice one accident. On Friday, i witnessed a biker who was badly hurt in a hit and run case. On today morning, there was a big traffic jam near the road leading to Shankar Chowk. And i was shocked when i saw pieces of flesh lying and a pool of blood . Looks like another hit and run case that took place in the night/early morning involving a pedestrian.
My relative who works in a major private hospital in Gurgaon tells me that it is the two-wheeler riders and pedestrians who form the major chunk of casualties on this stretch.
I fail to understand why the administration does not ban two-wheelers all together in this stretch.
Guys, if you or your near or dear ones is regular on this section of the highway or needs to cross the road frequently, PLEASE, give him/her a warning and to be extra careful. This is a killer road.

Last edited by DCEite : 19th January 2009 at 09:35.
Old 19th January 2009, 09:43   #2
BHPian

even i see the accidents almost a day from iffco chowk till igi airport!

I don't want to stop and click the accident pics .
It's really bad on bike guys that after giving them the particular road for them which is under the flyover(service lane),they do take u turn and come on nh-8 expressway !

and it's a fault of government authorities to provide an underpass or foot over bridge near the red lights of iffco chowk,hero honda chowk and rajiv chowk ,but no step has been taken up by them even after the media hightlighting the issues .

I see almost 20-30 people crossin the road at same time and cars passing by at mre than 100kmph ,they don't even think of saving their life by crossing road from under the flyover .
Old 19th January 2009, 10:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
On today morning, there was a big traffic jam near the road leading to Shankar Chowk. And i was shocked when i saw pieces of flesh lying and a pool of blood . Looks like another hit and run case that took place in the night/early morning involving a pedestrian.
My relative who works in a major private hospital in Gurgaon tells me that it is the two-wheeler riders and pedestrians who form the major chunk of casualties on this stretch.
I fail to understand why the administration does not ban two-wheelers all together in this stretch.
Guys, if you or your near or dear ones is regular on this section of the highway or needs to cross the road frequently, PLEASE, give him/her a warning and to be extra careful. This is a killer road.
Hey DCEite, even i saw that accident this morning, could even imagine the clout of the crash that would have happened.

You know what the two wheelers are already banned on the main expressway, they are only suppose to be driven on the by-lanes on either sides of the expressway and that is why they are not been asked to pay the toll.

If you would notice there are these private gaurds who stand on each of entry points ( from by-lanes to main expressway ) and also at start of the each of the flyovers and its actually there job to stop two wheelers from entering, but they dont do there job or rather the two wheeler guy doesnt give much importance to these private gaurds.

I once myself stopped and asked the gaurd that why did he allowed the two wheeler to go onto the expressway, he said ' sir no one listens to us and points at other 2 wheeler and says, see he is also going'.

Another example of layed back approach from the concerned on some important issues.
Old 19th January 2009, 10:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Why have overhead bridges not been built is something I fail to understand. To ignore such a basic safety feature, especially on a expressway where there are a lot of offices on both sides if the road, is simply STUPID.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:25   #5
BHPian

It is more frustrating driving on the expressway then on the normal road.

I do Gurgaon-Manesar and Gurgaon-delhi, sometimes both on a single day, I feel cheated after paying so much as toll tax, one has to still wait in TAG lines for stupid driver's in the TAG lanes without TAG's, 2-wheelers and other traffic which is not supposed to be there, pedestrian risking thier lives and motorist's in order to cross over to other side to reach thier homes and offices.

It is one badly planned expressway.
Old 19th January 2009, 12:46   #6
BHPian

For 3 days a week, I drive from Noida to Rajiv Chowk via DND - AIIMS - RTR - NH-8, After RTR flyover, I start feeling very unsafe due to bikers changing lanes & pedestrians suddenly jumping the crash barriers, running across. And I feel DND safer than NH -8 as there are no pedestrians crossing the strech.

NHAI should reveiw the safety features on the strech, come with solutions & ask Jaypee-DSC to implement the same immediately.
Old 19th January 2009, 13:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

A bemused biker's take!

There are TWO problems with the expressway:
a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Why have overhead bridges not been built is something I fail to understand. To ignore such a basic safety feature, especially on a expressway where there are a lot of offices on both sides if the road, is simply STUPID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
And I feel DND safer than NH -8 as there are no pedestrians crossing the strech.
b. The orange lane dividers have been trampled by call center cabs/buses/trucks/...

The reason for two wheelers facing issues is the higher average speeds, the surprise element of pedestrians (no pedestrian bothered to notice me ever while on bike) and vehicles entering/exiting where they shouldn't (leisure valley eg). That many bikers ride in wrong lanes/without rear view mirrors and not defensively doesn't help the cause.

But....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
You know what the two wheelers are already banned on the main expressway
That is not only stupid wishful thinking - it is downright lethal. From where someone like me sees it:
a. I pay a considerable amount in taxes, and as a tax payer I don't see ANY reason why I should be denied use of the expressway - it has had many crores from govt as funding.
b. I cannot anyways solve the issue of the marauding callcenter cabs or daredevil pedestrians. I can just ride peacefully in my lane (that means the leftmost unless I am overtaking/too many trucks are there) if people will quietly let me do that.
c. I am more than willing to pay toll (Vadodara Halol tolls bikers) - I see no reason why bikers should be exempt.
d. The most important problem is that the traffic in the service lanes is PAINFUL. Who are we kidding? At HH Chowk, at Grace Toyota and bang opposite, the service lane is a foot deep puddle of sewer water. Everywhere else, there's 3min long redlights, endless trucks/jams. I see no reason why I should suffer that nuisance because of either indisciplined four wheelers or other suicidal pedestrians/bikers.

To those wanting to protect two wheelers - thanks but no thanks. Kindly ask your friends/family/... to use the service lane but don't nuisance my life in the name of safety.

Correct the wayward people - setup cameras, challan extensively. And please leave defensive experienced bikers alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
one has to still wait in TAG lines for stupid driver's in the TAG lanes without TAG's,
That is because there's no penal clause for paying cash in tag lane. Neither does Gurgaon police seem interested in sorting things out.
Old 19th January 2009, 14:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

I left from Gurgaon for Chandigarh today morning at 4:00 AM, an I saw two call center cabs racing in thick fog. They were driving like hell, if anything comes in front, there is not chance to avoid collision.

Fog is playing its role as well. But pedestrian really take there life on risk to cross NH8. I know administration has responsibility to build foot over bridges. But until that is placed, life is important. So pedestrians have to be very careful, specially in fog.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

I travel on NH8 every day till DLF Cyber City and so far have incurred close to Rs. 90K lakh (on damage costs with Rs. 15K) because of the rash driving and traffic coming from all 4 directions (not from top through even though it is still possible here).

DSC is only interested in collecting toll on plaza. Whenever some paper reports that there is no access control and no law and order, they give a standard reply that they have 300-400 marshalls 24/7. Different matter that I see them just lazing around.

Thank God, my office is shifting next week to NOIDA and I shall be able to finally escape (after 29 months) the death trap that is the NH8.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Rs. 90K lakh
Rs 90K Lakh

My God, you are RICH cheers: , and from today my best friend

On a serious note, I have seen banners saying vehicles without tags in the tag lane will be prosecuted. Don't know when that will happen.
Old 19th January 2009, 17:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Rs 90K Lakh

My God, you are RICH cheers: , and from today my best friend

On a serious note, I have seen banners saying vehicles without tags in the tag lane will be prosecuted. Don't know when that will happen.
It was 90K and not Rs. 90 lakh!!!!.
Perhaps people should refuse to pay toll since there was a promise of `access control' which has not been kept at all.
The prosecution bit was supposed to start from 1.12.08. For some days, non-tag owners avoided the tag lance, but seeing the total lack of prosecution, word got around, and it is back to non-tag users using the tag lane. They hold others up, pay the toll (with no penalty), and go on.

Again and again: Thank God, I have only 4 days to go before getting away from this jungle.
Old 19th January 2009, 17:07   #12
BHPian

If you people go towards Jaipur from Gurgaon, the toll plaza before Manesar is even worse. People drive in the opposite direction to crossover, and so called traffic marshalls are busy stopping the traffic to let them cross. It becomes a mess in peak hours.
Old 19th January 2009, 17:12   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
If you people go towards Jaipur from Gurgaon, the toll plaza before Manesar is even worse. People drive in the opposite direction to crossover, and so called traffic marshalls are busy stopping the traffic to let them cross. It becomes a mess in peak hours.
Yes. Noticed that once.

Very scary and one of the most dangerous stretch I have done in the city.
Old 19th January 2009, 17:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, the expressway has not been a success simply because the Delhi-Gurgaon road is a mess at peak hours, and was a mess at peak hours before the expressway was built. Traffic situation has not improved: the stretch was always a mess at peak hours and a breeze in off-peak hours.

Gurgaon and the expressway has involved a private benefit (ITES and other companies saving on rent, builders such as DLF making money with their slash and burn approach) but a social cost (govt. spending on expressway, commuters having to go to Gurgaon and spending hours in traffic). It is only recently that DLF has got its long-deserved comeuppance (temporary at best).
Old 19th January 2009, 17:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Vasu: Not entirely correct.

Seeing the volume of traffic that has grown exponentially to and from Gurgaon, the Expressway has done its bit to keep the situation from deteriorating. Its not perfect by any stretch of imagination, but neither is it completely useless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks