Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 17:42   #1
BHPian

NCR Traffic & Delhi Metro Thread

The NCR traffic problems are known to everyone! No longer one can enjoy driving the car while moving from one place to other. Once you get out from the traffic, you are there on the deathtraps like NH-8 & expressways to hell (G.NOIDA/ DND). Perhaps, the only time one can have an enjoyable time are midnight to wee hours of morning ( But beware of Black BMWs)

I was wondering, will this situation improve in the next 12-18 months when DMRC trains become operational on most directions:

As they have planned it for NOIDA, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Airport, Nangloi/ Mundka/ Bahadurgarh, Karnal Byepass, Vikas Marg etc. All majorly clogged roads during peak hours.

IMO, the situation will improve drastically, specially for NCR towns! There are many people who travel Noida - C.P. or for that matter on M.G road in 2nd & 3rd gears of their cars.
BRT strech has done this to most of the south delhi roads.

So, for the complete effect of Delhi metro, let us wait & watch & hope for the best!

Last edited by breezydrive : 19th January 2009 at 17:45.
Old 19th January 2009, 18:36   #2
BANNED

It was way back in 1994. I was on a train to New Delhi; and on the train met another guy visiting for same job interview as I was going for. And we both had similar timelines for stay - 7 days.

At the ND Rly. stn, he got out and went straight to the luggage van. He wanted to watch unload his two wheeler. I was confounded. Hey, only 7 days visit, and bringing a bike along? (luggage for bike was only a tad below 1K at that time, according to this guy).

He looked at me straight in th eye, and said "You are a first time visitor here. We will be going back on the same train; let us discuss this at that time".

At end of 5 days, I had spent around 850 bucks on auto and bus fare (yes - BUS fare). And spent most of my time waiting for the bus.

The other guy had been zipping around in his bike, and covered around 2K Kms in those 7 days.
Old 19th January 2009, 19:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

I disagree. I'm a regular on the MG road and so are scores of others. I hardly remember crawling in 2nd or 3rd on this road to and fro on my daily commute.

Yes, like others I too am waiting for the Metro to get operational. Once it does, I'm going take that only as it starts near my house and has a stop near my workplace..

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
The NCR traffic problems are known to everyone! No longer one can enjoy driving the car while moving from one place to other. Once you get out from the traffic, you are there on the deathtraps like NH-8 & expressways to hell (G.NOIDA/ DND). Perhaps, the only time one can have an enjoyable time are midnight to wee hours of morning ( But beware of Black BMWs)

I was wondering, will this situation improve in the next 12-18 months when DMRC trains become operational on most directions:

As they have planned it for NOIDA, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Airport, Nangloi/ Mundka/ Bahadurgarh, Karnal Byepass, Vikas Marg etc. All majorly clogged roads during peak hours.

IMO, the situation will improve drastically, specially for NCR towns! There are many people who travel Noida - C.P. or for that matter on M.G road in 2nd & 3rd gears of their cars.
BRT strech has done this to most of the south delhi roads.

So, for the complete effect of Delhi metro, let us wait & watch & hope for the best!
Old 20th January 2009, 11:41   #4
BHPian

May be one should consider hiring a bike rather than transporting from your home-town for a short visit. It is going to attract lot of attention from the traffic cops and i believe one need to carry NOC if it has a different registration number.

I heard about the bike hire concept only in Goa, and these days there are car-hire companies to rent-a-car w/o driver :-). I dont know how good that works in India and I dont know if it completely legal. In case if one gets into any unfortunate incidence, i dont know if there is any law to protect in our MV act.
Old 14th August 2012, 11:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: NCR Traffic & Delhi Metro Thread

I searched for a thread on traffic situation in Delhi, but could find only this one so thought I ll share here. Following quote is from this news in the Hindustan Times. Buses over cars, Delhi in fast lane - Hindustan Times

Quote:
Delhiites prefer their cars to public transport. With 2.1million cars registered till March 2011, Delhi has the highest car population in the country, according to a latest report of the road transport ministry. Next in line are Bangalore (710,852) and Chennai (598,708).

Surprisingly, Mumbai — the financial capital of the country— only has 562,526 registered cars.
That public transport is not a priority can be gauged from the fact that as compared to cars, the number of buses registered in Delhi till 2011 was a mere 45,000.

At 7.2 million, Delhi's vehicle population exceeds the combined vehicle population of Chennai (3.4 million), Kolkata (444,718), Lucknow (1.2 million) and Mumbai (1.8 million).

I guess that kind of explains the traffic mess we have to handle on a daily basis. But I also need to add that despite having more cars registered in Delhi than the total number of vehicles in Mumbai and almost three times the number of cars in the next city on the list, traffic in Delhi is quite OK compared to some of the cities listed there. Guess that goes a bit to speak of the superior road infrastructure we enjoy here.
Old 26th August 2013, 18:45   #6
BHPian

New Delhi/NCR : Roads,Traffic,Metro Updates

DMRC has begun its construction in full swing for the new Metro Lines. Apart from DMRC's construction there are many sites which are dug up and traffic is hit. Driving in peak hours is so stressful.Its a Chaos. I would request all the fellow BHPians from Delhi/NCR who can provide valuable inputs on the road conditions, traffic jams or even the famous technical snag and the delays on the metro lines. VIP Movements, Demonstrations etc just add up to the list.

As per the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...located-8.html we are total of 160 members from Delhi/NCR.

Information here can be very useful for daily commute. Lets Share and Care.

The Proposed Project Plan

NCR Traffic & Delhi Metro Thread-delhimetrophase3map.jpg

Some Information from my end:
  • Kapashera-Gurgaon old road: Is in a mess from the border up till Maruti. One lane is fully dug up diverting the traffic to the opposite lane.
  • Road from Thyagraj Sports Complex to INA Metro Station is closed.
  • Bottleneck during peak hours at Inner Ring Road Near Motibagh on way to Nariana.

Last edited by sinharishi : 26th August 2013 at 18:48.
Old 27th August 2013, 23:50   #7
BHPian

From what I inferred, Gurgaon's one way(Galleria Road and Super Mart Road) is going to be reversed. That is it will run in the opposite direction, hence allowing for increased amounts of free lefts almost everywhere. This will reduce traffic problems massively. And also lessen the load on the Golf Course Road which is under construction!

Also, There will be no right turn allowed for commuters approaching the Sec 27/42 junction from Faridabad road towards Sikanderpur, to ensure traffic volume is controlled on the narrow stretch affected by up gradation works. Accordingly, commuters from Faridabad road/ Sunset Boulevard wishing to reach Galleria/Huda city/IffcoChowk are advised to travel via Plaza market road and reach the connecting road at Jan Pratinidhi apartments to proceed towards Galleria/Huda city.

Source- Gurgaon Traffic Police Facebook Page!

NCR Traffic & Delhi Metro Thread-1173768_562026760500810_1662036982_n.jpg

NCR Traffic & Delhi Metro Thread-999580_562023373834482_414477741_n.jpg
Old 28th August 2013, 00:03   #8
BHPian

Re: New Delhi/NCR : Roads,Traffic,Metro Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I would request all the fellow BHPians from Delhi/NCR who can provide valuable inputs on the road conditions, traffic jams or even the famous technical snag and the delays on the metro lines. VIP Movements, Demonstrations etc just add up to the list.

As per the http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...located-8.html we are total of 160 members from Delhi/NCR.

Information here can be very useful for daily commute. Lets Share and Care.
Hi Rishi, Good initiative! Information like this can be very handy. Since most of us have smart-phones, it will be easier if all of us (with smart-phones) start using waze. The quality of navigation offered by waze improves with the number of users. It will meet the objectives that you have stated in the post and doesn't require much effort from anyone.
Old 28th August 2013, 08:29   #9
BHPian

Re: New Delhi/NCR : Roads,Traffic,Metro Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
The quality of navigation offered by waze improves with the number of users. It will meet the objectives that you have stated in the post and doesn't require much effort from anyone.
Useful application Biraj.

Hope it is available on Windows Phone. Will have to dig up the entire Application store to find this one. When its windows, things get complicated
Old 19th February 2014, 11:07   #10
BHPian

DG Expressway to be scrapped

Gurgaon expressway's worst traffic bottleneck — the Delhi border toll plaza — is set to be scrapped this week, with the present operator and the lead banker signing the last settlement deals on Monday. These agreements will be placed before the Delhi High Court on Tuesday for a consent order to remove the 32-lane plaza.

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30582535.cms
Old 11th March 2014, 19:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, Today while listening to one of the local radio station an RJ had asked a very common but an interesting question i.e What measures can be used to check drunk and RUI (Riding under influence) passengers in the metro rail?

Though this question was for Delhi Metro only but there is Bangalore metro i.e Namma Metro too. So, I want to know what measures can ensure that no such passenger can get on board.

Thanks

AD
Old 23rd January 2015, 18:59   #12
BHPian

Re: NCR Traffic at borders

Several people will be driving out of Delhi for the long weekend this Republic Day. The only thing I hope is they do not have to face long jams at the borders of Delhi while returning on Jan 26. I guess they should start early from wherever they go to in order to make it in time to get a good night's sleep before the next working day (Tuesday).
Old 17th September 2015, 09:58   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm surprised this thread is not more active seeing how many cars there are on these roads, and how bad the drivers are!
I have a question. Does anybody know of the status of the widening of NH24?
Its the most idiotic highway........ in the world. I use it to commute daily from Mayur vihar to Sector 62 noida. Of late, I have started using the canal road, so I end up using only about half a kilometer of the highway. But even that is enough to want to drive back and jump INTO the canal.
Can anybody tell me if its a better idea to drive through noida to labor chowk to get to 62?
ON a good day, the canal way takes me about 25 minutes. On a bad day, with all route alterations, its about 45.
Old 18th September 2015, 11:26   #14
BHPian

Office hours are quite bad in the NCR region. Specially if lights are not running / not manned. Mostly people will come bang-on wrong side, then it is game over for a long time. Just wait and wait.
Old 30th May 2016, 15:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

Guys, does the Shivaji Stadium metro station (on the Airport Line) have parking facilities for cars ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks