Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 17:03   #1
BHPian

Tax break for house buyers - No service tax

And finally we get some relief
We don't have to pay service tax on purchase on flat/hosue.

Tax break for house buyers-Bangalore-Cities-The Times of India

DNA: Mumbai: Flat buyers exempt from service tax

I did lot of fight with my builder on the service tax part few months back. They had no clarity on what portion I am supposed to pay service tax on and what is the exact percentage!. After few days of negotiation, he brought down the service tax from 1.6Lakhs to 1.1Lakhs. Now I am glad that I don't have to pay any cash.

Any of you know more about this?
What happens to existing buyers?

I am getting a copy of the court order through a known person. Have to talk to my builder tomorrow.
Old 4th February 2009, 17:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

All this is fine, but then, why not bring down the high level of pricing that is currently prevailing! Won't that be a better move?

This seems like the governments effort to keep the builders lobby happy. They keep the price high, the people borrow more money and when things are back, pass a government notice on new rates and backlog collections!

But, having said this, a welcome move never the less.
Old 4th February 2009, 19:32   #3
BHPian

Buyers now are a relieved tribe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
And finally we get some relief
We don't have to pay service tax on purchase on flat/hosue.

Tax break for house buyers-Bangalore-Cities-The Times of India

DNA: Mumbai: Flat buyers exempt from service tax

I did lot of fight with my builder on the service tax part few months back. They had no clarity on what portion I am supposed to pay service tax on and what is the exact percentage!. After few days of negotiation, he brought down the service tax from 1.6Lakhs to 1.1Lakhs. Now I am glad that I don't have to pay any cash.

Any of you know more about this?
What happens to existing buyers?

I am getting a copy of the court order through a known person. Have to talk to my builder tomorrow.
Its good news that common sense finally prevailed on the Service tax officials to understand that sale of apartments should not be under the service tax. In fact in many places in mumbai, developers were charging Service Tax and Vat which used to add upto 9% of the agreement value. Poor flat buyers were left with no option but to pay them as the possession was not given if Service tax and VAt was not given. Now hopefully Govt takes a similar stand on the VAT issue
Ram
Old 27th February 2010, 21:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Now that in the budget 2010, all under construction flat buyers will have to pay service tax, has the good news ended?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks