Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 10:15   #1
BHPian

Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help

hi,

There is this little dog near my house, that seems to have contracted Distemper Virus. There was this another dog that had CDV too, and it was taken by Blue-Cross after I called them up, but it was lost on the way it seems.

This other puppy has started showing the first symptom - foaming in the mouth, and seems quite active today, nothing much of other symptoms. I suspect it took the virus from another dog in the locality, and I'm unable to take it to blue cross or any other doc near by.

But I can feed her with what ever drugs you suggest. I know there is no straight shot treatment for CDV but some assisting antibiotics can help the poor thing. Please suggest what type of antibiotics I can administer to the animal and at what intervals. This would help the immune system of the dog to fight against the virus and come out of the situation. I do not want to loose her too.

Please help.
Old 4th March 2009, 10:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

@MS was this the one which you had saved during the last Chenani rains. Feel sad about it,

http://www.products4pets.com/other_d..._Distemper.pdf See if this helps you.

Hope the guy recovers, I remember once we had to lose a Dobermann pup for suspected parvo & distemper attack despite doing the vaccinations on time, strangely the mongrel pup which we had got at the same time survived.
Old 4th March 2009, 11:30   #3
BHPian

yes srikanth, this was one of those, the last surviving puppy, whom had a distemper shot and the 7-in-1 injections some time last week. But guess he is already contracted the virus and should be able to shrug it off if taken proper care off.

I wish some one helped me with the right medicine, I'm unable to take the dog to a doctor due to many reasons. If some doc helps me with the name of the drug and prescribes the dosage I can add it to milk and feed her.

She keeps on crying meekly, dunno what goes on in her body and thoughts! Poor thing needs some kindness and help.
Old 4th March 2009, 11:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MillionSwords : She keeps on crying meekly ..
@MS, feel bad ..

Not much to go on, but still : Adopt-A-Stray: Looking after Canine Distemper cases
Old 4th March 2009, 13:10   #5
BHPian

Thanks Condor

thanks condor for the link. it was really useful, and gave me a warm feeling, I'm not alone and I'm not the only one concerned about street dogs, atleast these 3 little pups.

All that I can do is pray, and feed her with what ever I can to increase her immunity to fight the disease herself. I have a belief in these country breeds that they can fight most problems themselves unlike house pets.

The more I read the more I get the idea that natural remedies are the only ways to help her, and not much of alopathy would help. Treatment includes some basic antibiotic doses and natural medicines like garlic, ginger and tulsi make the difference. All these have pertinent properties to help body generate more wbc and fight the symptoms.

I bought "Immunocin" which is an ayurvedic medicine, and hope it will help her in gaining some immunity.

I called up a vet near by, and he helped me, he said it may not be CDV if she is eating and drinking properly, so he asked me to give "Drontal Plus" to deworm her and see if the symptoms go away. I hope and pray it is just a worm and goes away, while keeping my fingers crossed.

I have called the Corporation Dog Squad to take away the other dog who has serious symptoms of the CDV and is way beyond help. It has got the "chewing fits" and scabies badly all over the body, so I thought it is best to call the Corp. Atleast she wont be spreading the disease to the other dogs in the locality.

PS: just added these pictures, 1st pic Whitey is eating sugarcane for Pongal festival. Pic2 both of them sisters, Donna and Whitey - Donna is lost to CDV already! Miss You Donna...
Attached Thumbnails
Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help-img_6207.jpg  

Any Veterinary Doctors on TBHP? - please help-img_6037.jpg  

Last edited by MillionSwords : 4th March 2009 at 13:24. Reason: Photo added
Old 9th March 2009, 11:59   #6
BHPian

not a single Vet here? - some one pl gimme some advice. Some one tell me it might just be some fever that will go away please... any one seeing this thread at all?
Old 9th March 2009, 12:07   #7
BHPian

Watching this thread millionswords. Very kind of you for caring for those canines. I cannot offer you much help, as I do not know much about canine health care.
Best of luck to you, in this endeavor.
Old 9th March 2009, 14:45   #8
BHPian

Millionswords how do you know the pup has CDV? Have you got her blood tested?
Old 9th March 2009, 14:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Try this site MS

JustAnswer!: Getting To Know You
Old 16th March 2009, 12:14   #10
BHPian

Update: all last week she was active, the days were hot and humid, she was panting like commonly seen, no signs of problems so long.

She was in contact with 2 other dogs with CDV, and she was foaming in the mouth just like Donna her sister who had CDV and we had to loose her sending to Bluecross. That is the reason I was suspecting CDV, as it is highly contageous from aerosol infection, contact, saliva, sneezing etc. The two other dogs that had CDV where close to Whitey and they were sisters of hers. So I had to doubt for CDV mostly and other symptoms least.

She is a very active dog and usually chases anything that moves, [insects, butterflies, frogs etc.,] so I had the doubt of frog licking too. Dog licking brings foam in the mouth of dogs, but not day after day. So i had to score off dog licking symptom when I saw her foaming in the mouth for 2 consecutive mornings.

Well she is active now, she had been given Doxycycline Tablets 100mg each day, and two times Immunocin to bring about her immunity strength to higher levels to fight any infection if she has.

CDV cannot be directly dealt with, and only the symptoms that occur can be treated and help the dog fight the virus itself, by adding more healthy food; like Chicken broth, eggs, less milk and milk foods, add turmeric and garlic to her food, ginger juice+honey has been known to be highly effective in improving body immunity and cleaning the stomach of any infections and toxins.

Doxycycline in small amounts [as 100mg] once a day is a mild dose, and will help as Antiprotozoal, antibitic and antiabacterial too. Its helpful in fighting a variety of infections and administered in dogs commonly. It gets the canine sleepy at times, and may get her to vomit. It helps eaze fever and cold, sneezing etc.,

She has been administered with vaccine and 2 days after which I saw her with a foaming mouth, and I believe a wrong administration of the vaccine can actually contract the virus into the body, and that is another strong reason to believe she might have a CDV.

Now she is active and sleeps and eats and drinks well, no signs of foaming, dullness, or any weird activity, other than some leg movements while she is asleep. Guess that has to do with REM state of sleeping and is common in dogs. So I keep that apart as a symptom and watch her every morning for any weird symptoms, she seem to be steadily getting healthy.

PS: does any one know if dogs will shed their teeth just like humans? and if so, at what age and how soon does it grow?

PS2: When does a female puppy attain maturity and does it hurt her when she starts to be mature?

thanks for looking into this thread, hope the information we share here helps other in the future too.
Old 16th March 2009, 13:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
PS: does any one know if dogs will shed their teeth just like humans? and if so, at what age and how soon does it grow?

thanks for looking into this thread, hope the information we share here helps other in the future too.
Commendable work MillionSwords. Keep it up. Your deeds are really heartwarming.

Yes. puppies do shed their teeth and as far as i remember, it is around when the puppy is 7 mths old. It sheds it small sharp teeth and grows a bigger but not so sharp teeth.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

My dog eats small frogs every monsoon. He is 6 yrs old now.
I cant stop him because he is too quick for anyone to spot.
Are there any problems with dogs eating frogs?
Old 16th March 2009, 16:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
My dog eats small frogs every monsoon. He is 6 yrs old now.
I cant stop him because he is too quick for anyone to spot.
Are there any problems with dogs eating frogs?
@jaysmokesleaves: there are different kind of frogs, but almost all the frog will discharge a toxic water (might be urine, I am not sure) when you try to catch them or when your dog tries catching, which is harmful for the dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post

PS2: When does a female puppy attain maturity and does it hurt her when she starts to be mature?

I am not a Veterinary Dr or a breeder, I have dogs from a long time and I have different breeds. It’s just a passion for me.

@MillionSwords: Yes, dogs do loss there milky teeth and get new one, but it would happen very quickly. Just see to that you are giving them good calcium till 1 year.

After 8 months and they do undergo some emotional pain and as well as the physical pain, it’s same like humans.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:56   #14
BHPian

@jaysmokes - yes some or most of the frogs are bad for the dogs if eaten alive. Cooked frogs are different story. Frogs piss when they are cornered, and the piss is quite irritating on the skin, think of it inside the mouth of your dog - it must be real disgusting. Err you might want to teach him not to catch the frogs, but if he is 6+ years old, he must have known the trick of catching them and surviving and a natural resistance to their urine. So it's a bit late to get him under training to not catch forggies. Update: Whitey is active, no signs of illness. Must be she sniffed some flora that is toxic/allergic or she tried to catch a Tree Frog? she seems to be normal. PS: while she wakes up she is a bit strange acting, shaking, and dancing like she smoked pod too. I know how a dog stretches, so it is not the normal stretch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks