Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2005, 11:57   #1
BHPian

Cannot install any version of netscape

guyz... i cannot install netscape on my pc ... i have windows xp..i download the setup file it downloads .. but when i install it i get a error saying its not a valid win32 file...

when i downloaded the older version of netscape ie. version 6
the setup was downloaded and when i installed it i got an error please check the connection..but there was no problem with my internet connection

i am not installing windows update because my computer crashed the last time i installed it

is there a way out ...
thnx
Old 10th May 2005, 12:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

how'bout trying mozilla? i have it on my winxp laptop and it works fine.
Old 10th May 2005, 12:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Were you trying to install SP2 as update on your XP. Because it has ruined even my PC. But am not facing any problem with netscape installation. Are you trying to install online. Try downloading the exe file from sites like www.download.com as i had donloaded from there.

Btw latest version was 7.x for Netscape do have that as well ?? What am saying is that if you are trying to install an older version while you have or had newer version, then the installer may not allow you to do so (even if you have uninstalled newer version, some registry entries might still be there).

As deepkhon mentioned you can also go for the Mozilla Firefox it comes from the same family & is very reliable & fast too.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th May 2005 at 12:22.
Old 10th May 2005, 12:25   #4
BHPian

i have tried everything ... all the possible sites ... i am not installing the automatic updates ..theres a serious problem wih the updates... they have now come up with a patch ...
Old 10th May 2005, 13:10   #5
BHPian

Does the setup file that you have downloaded exactly match the size on the download website (your download may be corrupt) ? Also check to ensure the file name is also correct(specially the file name extension). Again did you by anychance use some FTP software to do the download and use the ASCII(text ) instead of binary by mistake ?
Old 10th May 2005, 13:52   #6
BHPian

file download size is the same ... file name specified is correct .. no ftp software used
Old 10th May 2005, 14:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Some suggestions:

1. Forget netscape (unless you are forced to use it) and install FireFox. It is far better, faster, leaner. If you need mail client, use Thunderbird.
2. Try to download and install another small binary (nothing to do with netscape). See if it works fine. If that gives error, it is a Windows problem and not Netscape problem. In such case, copy the error message and search on Microsoft's site for it. It should have a patch available for that.
3. Very radical suggestion (if you have time, patience and enough network bandwidth) : Install Linux.
Old 10th May 2005, 14:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
3. Very radical suggestion (if you have time, patience and enough network bandwidth) : Install Linux.
I second it. I have win xp, suse linux 9.3 and solaris 10 on my laptop. i mostly use solaris. i use linux only for some video related operations. i boot thro' xp once in a month to check whether it is still working

yes firefox works well, even on xp.
Old 10th May 2005, 15:35   #9
BHPian

i sincerely recommend firefox to anything else

the closest to it being opera
Old 10th May 2005, 18:46   #10
BHPian

ok ... yes linux was in my mind... ill try fire fox ... lets see if i can download and install that other wise its bye bye xp
Old 10th May 2005, 20:13   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

come on... IE works fine... i also use Mozilla.. coz this team-bhp site is the one that seems to work better on mozilla!

Windows update is no issue at all.. i have all my PCs/Laptop.... 100% updated... never had any problem..... with any windows XP home, XP Pro, Server 2003.... all are perfect.
Old 10th May 2005, 23:24   #12
BHPian

hi...when you are experiencing an error like win32 error..there is a problem with the service pack upgrade..it is not properly upgraded..so the binaries in the i386 folder are corrupted and its having a problem starting the installer.there is an option to install netscape online..if you are using a broadband connection try doing that.if it does nt work.try reinstalling the service pack2..i think it should do.
Old 10th May 2005, 23:28   #13
BHPian

freakz thats exactly my prob
last time i installed sp2 it crashed .... i have abroadband can u upload the link to the online download
Old 10th May 2005, 23:29   #14
BHPian

people i have downloaded firefox and tbhp works wonders on it.. but i still love netscape

help
Old 10th May 2005, 23:41   #15
BHPian

i think you can install from the netscape site it self..i have done it a month ago.it installed directly from the site..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks