Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 20:59   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'm going to ask a really noob question. Is it possible to destroy the clutch of a new car while parking it in a 5 star hotel? How?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Almost impossible to fry the clutch in such a short distance from the drive way to the parking. Unless the valet driver was an ex-rally driver and did some drag launches to see the best possible time from driveway to the parking lot.
Or just maybe tried having some donut fun

manson.
Old 27th March 2009, 21:06   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I don't think someone can burn the clutch just like that, i guess clutch maybe on its last leg which just gave up that time.

writing just that won't hold for a minute in court
exactly. here is link to a very old case regarding a five star hotel and a customers car. it not related directly but very remotely because the deficiency even there was the valet parking service.

NATIONAL CONSUMER DISPUTES REDRESSAL COMMISSION
Old 27th March 2009, 21:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
c'mon man.! clutch of any given vehcile lasts for 60k kms easily. unless its used for drifting.
I think you mean used to drag...

Even if the valet wanted to hold the car at half-clutch on a slope, which is what the MASS engineer was referring to, or did some radical launches, there is no way you'd be able to tell the difference is a well worn in "new" clutch!

The hotel really isn't at fault here, and besides you're talking about the Taj Palace, which is one of the best hotels in Delhi with high patronage.

I used to go to MKOP very often when I stayed in Delhi and always had a great experience with the valets there
Old 27th March 2009, 21:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
.. and always had a great experience with the valets there
Sorry, Doc, that sounds like beyond the call of duty!
How does one have a 'great experience' with valets??!
Old 27th March 2009, 21:44   #50
BHPian

We have a slope in the Hiranandani area at Mumbai Powai, this road leads up from Vikhroli (Godrej) to Hiranandani. This is a private road and has a steep incline, in the rains there are naturally jams as each lane is enough for a car and an auto to pass safely.

Now many many vehicles get stuck here due to the following reasons.

1) Steep incline.
2) Stopping using the clutch & handbrake on the incline.
3) Traffic jams on the incline.

Now add these three up and you have a sure shot recipe for disaster.

Why ? I've seen a brand new (1200kms run) SX4 post this incline unable to go further as the clutch had been fried up.

The owner/driver then said that he had put the handbrake on and forgot to put it off and drove up the hill in stop go traffic @ speeds of 4-5kmph. The length of this incline is barely 20-30 meters.

The plastic sheets covering the SX4 seats had not been taken off, it was a sorry sight.

Say the same situation may have occurred at the hotel parking, it was enough to fry a clutch of the SX4 on the incline here.

On a different observation, autorickshaws too cannot make it up the hill if there's a full load of 3 pax plus its raining and stop go needs to be included into traversing up the hill, the auto clutch becomes ineffective despite it being a wet type multiplate clutch (oil cooled/lubricated).

Most maruti cars have a single disc dry clutch.

Regards
Old 27th March 2009, 22:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

the SX4 is supposed to be an SUV derived car. i find it surprising that its clutch cannot stand a little abuse
Old 27th March 2009, 22:44   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the SX4 is supposed to be an SUV derived car. i find it surprising that its clutch cannot stand a little abuse
sx4 sedan sold in india is actually a hatchback derived car made to look like a suv cum normal sedan.
Old 28th March 2009, 02:38   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe the clutch was of poor quality.
Wasn't there a problem with Ajmat's Swifts clutch within 3Kkm where they accused him of driving with the handbrake on and frying the clutch?
Old 28th March 2009, 02:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
1. Go to JW Mariott in a slightly old and confusing car. Something like a Sierra will work best.
2. Drive up to the upper lobby entrance and give the car to a valet.
3. Sign the tag that relieves the hotel of all responsibility with respect to parking/ driving your car.
4. After a few minutes, ask for the car.
5. Observe, as the valet driver comes up the ramp with smoke fuming out the bonnet.

There, you now have a car with a fried clutch. And an even more fried owner who's both angry and embarassed at the spectacle but can't do anything about it.

This, btw, has happened to me. With the Sierra. The bloke started the car and drove it up in 3rd gear.
Sir, your Sierra was a masterpiece indeed (what with you & Nuzzlu getting it on inside it and all!) and I'm sure the episode reported by you above is absolutely true (and so is the faulty alternator episode where the lights glowed 300% brighter than normal and power windows came up thrice as fast!). But I do hope that by now she's found a nice graveyard for her to rest in peace!
Old 28th March 2009, 04:54   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah,
Here is the link from Ajmat's Swifts ownership record:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post231227

It happened to his car at around 3800kms.

Last edited by lamborghini : 28th March 2009 at 04:56.
Old 28th March 2009, 22:52   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tell you what has most probably happened : The valet held the SX4 on the hotel's upward slope using the clutch (and not the brake / handbrake). Did it for a long time too. This is enough to kill any clutch that's worn 50% or more - already - from regular wear & tear.

As for legal options etc. forget it. Not worth it for an 8 grand repair bill.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2009 at 22:54.
Old 28th March 2009, 23:07   #57
BHPian

Apologies for posting this query in this thread. But this is something about the clutch wear.

There are times when on a slope I use the combo of clutch and the throttle to stop the car from going reverse instead of using just the brake. Will this have any affect on the clutch of my car?
Old 28th March 2009, 23:11   #58
Team-BHP Support

Yes Ankith. This will finish your clutch. Please don't do that. Use the handbrake or the brake to keep teh car from rolling back. Only to get it moving release clutch and throttle up.
Old 28th March 2009, 23:17   #59
BHPian

Thanks Vidyut. Will keep that in mind. I have been doing this regularly. No wonder you and amit said that the clutch is gone for a toss.
Old 28th March 2009, 23:34   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmob View Post
its The Taj Palace Hotel, Sardar Patel Marg, New Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Just a different POV, even if the driver had been hard on the clutch, it is not quiet easy to ...

...As a rule, I never give my car to valets when there is an option to park it myself, even if it means I will have to walk back to the hotel/restaurant. This saves the heart burn later on.
True. Especially when, at the Hyatt, you step down and they say:
Valet: "One-fifty rupees sir"
"For what?"
Valet: <<Blank Look>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tell you what has most probably happened...

As for legal options etc. forget it. Not worth it for an 8 grand repair bill.
Not worth it for the ego-boost from an apology letter from the Hotel.
Not worth it for the poor guy who loses his (decent) job. In 2009.

Sue Maruti. If anyone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks