Team-BHP - Health insurance queries? Ask me!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Health insurance queries? Ask me! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55989-health-insurance-queries-ask-me-25.html)

I have a starhealth policy.

1) They increased the rates for renewal - part of the reason is because of GST but they also say it's because of increased coverage they are providing. What if I don't want the additional coverage? Can they do this? What when I get old & they don't feel like providing me insurance anymore & in order to get around it, they increase the premium to astronomical amounts. Are there any rules and regulations around increase of premium for renewal?

2) I didn't have a single claim during the year. So they said I have a no-claim bonus. But apparently the no claim bonus is not in the form a discount the next years premium. It's some increased coverage. How does that work?

Need some advice. My company offers basic medical insurance of 7L coverage and an optional Top-up insurance. I am considering taking personal medical insurance outside of my company provided one from this year. I usually take the maximum top-up of 30L at about 25K per year of cost to me. I am now being offered personal medical premium of 30K premium for 50L coverage for my wife and 2 kids, excluding me. The advantage of this is that irrespective of my employment or my existence :), atleast my family will be covered and the coverage can continue after me.
Should i be worried about claim honoring and/or should i continue both the topup and the personal premium for a few years for safety?

When I bought a medical insurance policy, let's say I had no pre-existing illnesses. But let's say 3-4 years down the line, I got diagnosed with something, am I supposed to inform the insurance company?

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 4268437)
Need some advice. My company offers basic medical insurance of 7L coverage and an optional Top-up insurance. I am considering taking personal medical insurance outside of my company provided one from this year. I usually take the maximum top-up of 30L at about 25K per year of cost to me. I am now being offered personal medical premium of 30K premium for 50L coverage for my wife and 2 kids, excluding me. The advantage of this is that irrespective of my employment or my existence :), atleast my family will be covered and the coverage can continue after me.
Should i be worried about claim honoring and/or should i continue both the topup and the personal premium for a few years for safety?

Thats strange. Why would you opt for health insurance where you are not covered. I think Family floaters did cover the entire family. I think you should check with comparator website like coverfox, policybazaar etc and check the premium quotes. Once you shortlist, then visit the website for more information. But no point in taking a health insurance where you are not covered. else stick with the top up options provided by your employer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 4275221)
When I bought a medical insurance policy, let's say I had no pre-existing illnesses. But let's say 3-4 years down the line, I got diagnosed with something, am I supposed to inform the insurance company?

Absolutely. If the health insurance feels you need to be medically examined, they would do it. If the illness is already covered in your health insurance option, then there might be no change in premium, else they might hike up the premium. Check out with the Insurance co.

Does anyone know of a policy that covers adventure sports such as rock climbing?

Some policy came out with much fanfare a couple of months ago, but reading the fine print you realize that it covers accidents that may happen only while participating in an adventure sports activity that is organized by a 'licensed adventure sports operator'.

Now from personal experience, at least in and around Bangalore, the so-called 'licensed adventure sports experts' are more often than not clueless about safety and very often, the 'amateur' practitioners of a sport are far more accomplished, pay more heed to safety and always use better gear.

So is there a policy that properly covers adventure sports? Does anyone know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 4276161)
Thats strange. Why would you opt for health insurance where you are not covered. I think Family floaters did cover the entire family. I think you should check with comparator website like coverfox, policybazaar etc and check the premium quotes. Once you shortlist, then visit the website for more information. But no point in taking a health insurance where you are not covered. else stick with the top up options provided by your employer.

I am covered through my company anyway as long as I live (and am gainfully employed :) ). I was topping up every year for an additional cover of 20L with my company's policy. I figured I could use this spend to take a personal policy for my family so they would be continued to be covered if I were to pass away. In this way atleast they would have the option to extend the cover till my kids are on their feet. I have since taken a 25L insurance for my wife and two kids 1A+2C at about ~37k along with a 20L top up at my employer as well. Will refine this spend over the next year or two and balance the risk out between me and my family across the two policies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diyguy (Post 4276208)
I am covered through my company anyway as long as I live (and am gainfully employed :) ). I was topping up every year for an additional cover of 20L with my company's policy. I figured I could use this spend to take a personal policy for my family so they would be continued to be covered if I were to pass away. In this way atleast they would have the option to extend the cover till my kids are on their feet. I have since taken a 25L insurance for my wife and two kids 1A+2C at about ~37k along with a 20L top up at my employer as well. Will refine this spend over the next year or two and balance the risk out between me and my family across the two policies.

Please note that the health insurance SI is not payable upon your demise. It is only for treating you when you are alive. What I would suggest is instead of company top up, use that amount and get an health Insurance for the family in the form of family floater. This way any of the family member could use upto SI for any treatment. In case of your demise, the policy will continue to cover the family members upon insurance renewal annually.

If your co is offering Personal Accident cover, opt for that instead of health insurance top up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 4276375)
Please note that the health insurance SI is not payable upon your demise. It is only for treating you when you are alive. What I would suggest is instead of company top up, use that amount and get an health Insurance for the family in the form of family floater. This way any of the family member could use upto SI for any treatment. In case of your demise, the policy will continue to cover the family members upon insurance renewal annually.

Yes thanks, this is what I have done with the one difference that in the personal family floater I have not included myself, just my wife and kids. Currently my family is now covered by two policies one through my company and one direct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 4275221)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 4276161)
Absolutely.

Where did you get this info? I checked my policy and I didn't see this mentioned anywhere?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 4279374)
Where did you get this info? I checked my policy and I didn't see this mentioned anywhere?

I am sure the wordings must be there in your policy too. Posting the policy wordings from my MaxBupa Health Insurance. Check the bold and underlined.

Quote:

You will inform Us immediately of any change in the address, nature of job, state of health, or of any other changes affecting You or any Insured Person through the format Annexure III. We shall allow the enhancement in Sum Insured or scope of cover only at the time of Renewal, provided You intimate Us at the time of Renewal. The decision of acceptance of enhancement of the sum insured or the scope of cover will be based on
our underwriting policy and shall be subject to payment of applicable
premium for such enhanced cover.

My colleague broke his hand falling down the stairs at his home in Chennai. He flew to his hometown in Kolkata and scheduled a surgery for plate fitting and correction. His pre-auth was declined by our corporate insurance provider. They asked him to produce a certificate from the treating doctor that the injury was not under the influence of alcohol. I find this very disturbing that they can reject on such grounds. Of course he has resubmitted with a self provided affidavit but this should not be necessary imho.

Hope this is not OT, Couldn't find a thread and hence posted here.
My wife and i have a Religare 'Care' Floater plan which we have taken from March 2015 till March 2018: 20 lac cover. We paid a premium of nearly Rs1.05 lacs. We don't suffer from any illness.

We want to take out a travel insurance for 46 days (planning to visit USA and Greece) and the agent tells us that we need to pay about Rs17,000 plus for a US$100,000 policy and Rs 15,000 plus for a US$ 50,000 policy.

Could someone help me:
  1. Are these premium amounts okay? I am 62 now and my wife is 59.
  2. Being a existing policy holder of Religare, would they not have a special deal or discounted rate?
  3. Why the huge difference between 50k and 100k premiums?
  4. Which is the most cost effective insurance that one can buy?

Lots of questions, but i need to know whether my agent is stringing me along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthian (Post 4303351)
Lots of questions, but i need to know whether my agent is stringing me along.

Please go to the aggregator sites like Policy bazaar and check the premiums there. That would give you a clearer picture.

Friends,
Need your advice on insurance application rejection.
Had bought Diabetes safe Policy from Star Health and in the application had mentioned joint pain. The underwriting team has rejected thinking that joint pain is due to arthritis.
Even after admitting that i have diabetes and joint pain application is rejected instead of evaluating how serious or giving some waiting period.

Have paid the amount and waited for 30 days to get this final status. Really disgusting as I have followed up n number of times and no proactive responses from insurance firms.
Please advise how to appeal against and would like to take independent medical opinion to go back to Star Health. Or Should I go for IRDA complaint support.

Kindly let me know.

Hi team,
A quick question. Religare offers premium payment term of 3 years, at 10% discount. Is there any other benefit other than the discount? What if I want to port it to another insurer after a year or two?