Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2023, 19:07   #196
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Forex Thread

One Card is very good for use overseas. Conversion is real time bank rate and 1% flat Forex conversion. My favourite card to use while overseas.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 09:17   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
They dont provide debit cards any longer because of new RBI regulations. They have FD backed credit cards to offer now.
Really? My wife got one just 2 weeks back. Things have changed in 2 weeks?
Old 3rd September 2023, 17:48   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
They dont provide debit cards any longer because of new RBI regulations. They have FD backed credit cards to offer now.
Interesting. So, you need to have an FD in one of the three banks that promote Niyo? Is the amount I can operate on depends on the amount in FD account?
Could not figure this clearly from their FAQ.

Looking for a forex card for my daughter who is traveling out for her studies.

Regards
Rex
Old 4th September 2023, 00:02   #199
BHPian

Folks if you can get hold of Scapia card or RBL world safari card that would provide you with 0% markup fee . I recently got both the cards as thats their USP . I haven't used them but will do while shopping on Canadian websites .My parents are travelling and ill ask them to get stuff for which ill place order from India.
Old 11th September 2023, 11:59   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Here's what I am doing finally.

Since Japan is largely a cash preferring country, I am carrying about 70% of the required funds in cash, sourced through Bookmyforex and BFC Forex.
How did this work out? Any improvements you would suggest based on your experience? Is it worth going for an IDFC "FIRST WOW! Credit Card for Forex and Travel"? Just thinking that if I get this card now, I can use it for any future travels also.

I am going on a package tour this month end. Travel, hotels, and breakfast are included but lunch and dinner are not. How much per person per day would you estimate for this?

My last trip to Japan was a couple of decades back so don't have recent knowledge.

Last edited by DigitalOne : 11th September 2023 at 12:18.
Old 11th September 2023, 14:33   #201
BHPian

Guys, I travel occasionally to the London office of my organization. During my trip in 2018 cash was accepted in the company canteen and the restaurant of the hotel where I was staying (Sutton).
Since my stays are usually no more than a week, I used to carry only cash.
However during my trip in April this year, the canteen and hotel refused to accept cash, likely a post-covid development.
So for my next trip I would like to carry a Forex card with the lowest markup, tap to pay, easy cash upload etc.
Please suggest.
Old 12th September 2023, 12:55   #202
BHPian

Hello BHPians! I continue to be amazed by Team-BHP as I stumble upon this thread today.
I am travelling to Europe next week and have Austria, Czechia and Poland in my itinerary. I have been researching about forex cards for the trip - primarily Bookmyforex and Thomas Cook cards. All my previous travels have been official, so I never used one so far.

I found another thread in Team-BHP which talks of horrific experience of lot of BHPians with Bookmyforex, so I kind of settled for Thomas Cook (a friend also endorsed based on her last 3-4 international travels) and placed an order.

The issue is, both Czechia and Poland have their own currencies (Czech Crowns and Polish Zloty), and I will be charged a cross currency conversion fee of 4.5% for transactions (my loaded currency will be Euros).

Based on your experience, can you please comment how much of an impact that is? Is it higher than the 3.5% mark up that credit cards charge? I also came across HDFC Regalia ForexPlus Card which is loaded in USD but has ZERO cross currency conversion fees. Will that be more beneficial for my use case?

Thank you in advance!
Old 12th September 2023, 14:10   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
Hello BHPians! I continue to be amazed by Team-BHP as I stumble upon this thread today.
I am travelling to Europe next week and have Austria, Czechia and Poland in my itinerary. I have been researching about forex cards for the trip - primarily Bookmyforex and Thomas Cook cards. All my previous travels have been official, so I never used one so far.

I found another thread in Team-BHP which talks of horrific experience of lot of BHPians with Bookmyforex, so I kind of settled for Thomas Cook (a friend also endorsed based on her last 3-4 international travels) and placed an order.

The issue is, both Czechia and Poland have their own currencies (Czech Crowns and Polish Zloty), and I will be charged a cross currency conversion fee of 4.5% for transactions (my loaded currency will be Euros).

Based on your experience, can you please comment how much of an impact that is? Is it higher than the 3.5% mark up that credit cards charge? I also came across HDFC Regalia ForexPlus Card which is loaded in USD but has ZERO cross currency conversion fees. Will that be more beneficial for my use case?

Thank you in advance!
I had undertaken a similar trip to Germany, Poland, Czech,Hungary. I used HDFC Regalia Forexplus for this exact reason. Worked out well for me. I had a credit card (infinia, Magnus) as backup.
alexgv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 16:23   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
Interesting. So, you need to have an FD in one of the three banks that promote Niyo? Is the amount I can operate on depends on the amount in FD account?
Could not figure this clearly from their FAQ.

Looking for a forex card for my daughter who is traveling out for her studies.

Regards
Rex
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Guys, I travel occasionally to the London office of my organization. During my trip in 2018 cash was accepted in the company canteen and the restaurant of the hotel where I was staying (Sutton).
Since my stays are usually no more than a week, I used to carry only cash.
However during my trip in April this year, the canteen and hotel refused to accept cash, likely a post-covid development.
So for my next trip I would like to carry a Forex card with the lowest markup, tap to pay, easy cash upload etc.
Please suggest.
You can check EBIX Globetrotter card by EBIXCASH World Money Ltd. My son is abroad for his Doctor's degree since last few years and holding this card and we have not faced any problems till date.

Ten types of currencies can be loaded into it. So if you load USD and travel to US or Euro and travel to Europe and withdraw cash, no conversion charges will be charged and may be only a nominal withdrawal charge for ATM usage could be charged depending on bank to bank. Very nominal commission also.
Toni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 19:18   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
You can check EBIX Globetrotter card by EBIXCASH World Money Ltd. My son is abroad for his Doctor's degree since last few years and holding this card and we have not faced any problems till date.
Thanks, Toni.

Yes. We too chose EbixCash (through our bank reference) for my daughter. It's been a week plus and so far no issues. We need to depend on a manual process for few things like phone number change, etc., which they said they are working to automate/make it online.

Regards
Rex
Old 22nd September 2023, 08:46   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetarin View Post
Thank you in advance!
Hi, I cannot answer all your questions. But as a caution, if you take cash with idea of exchanging it locally, please take USD/EUR to Poland. Most retail money changers in Poland did not accept INR at-least until 2020. I remember an Indian gentlemen approaching me in Warsaw airport seeking help to take 25K INR and give him equivalent PLN. He was having trouble getting his money exchanged in the airport and had no money to pay for a cab to reach his hotel. At first I was a little apprehensive about his real intentions, but after talking to him for a while, his problem seemed genuine and I helped him out.

My second advice to all travelers would be to never rely on a single travel specific Forex card. You have to have a plan B (second card proven to work internationally or some cash in USD/EUR) if it does not work after you reach your destination. Years back, my parents visiting me in the US had come with money in one such Forex card. The card did not work and it hurt my father's pride/ego quiet a bit for having his son to pay for everything although I would never be able to pay my debt to him back.

Last edited by Theyota : 22nd September 2023 at 08:54.
Old 22nd September 2023, 14:31   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
My second advice to all travelers would be to never rely on a single travel specific Forex card. You have to have a plan B (second card proven to work internationally or some cash in USD/EUR) if it does not work after you reach your destination. Years back, my parents visiting me in the US had come with money in one such Forex card. The card did not work and it hurt my father's pride/ego quiet a bit for having his son to pay for everything although I would never be able to pay my debt to him back.
Agree. I have given my son a second (back up) card from ICICI Bank but it is issued by EBIXCash World Money Ltd. No charges for issuing this card too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks