Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 15:57   #1
BHPian

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?

Hi Everyone,

I own a Ford Fiesta 1.4 Exi which has done about 33000 Kms in the last 2 years. My driving style is mixed, basically from boring while driving to office at noon to really spirited while going back later in the night. I drive a decent amount on the highways too. I had the warranty extended in the 2nd year, which expired just a week back. I was getting the reminder calls from the dealer to extend the warranty further which will cost me about Rs 4900.

Nothing has happened to the car till date except a fuse that blew up in the first 6 months after I bought the car, replaced free of cost. It would have costed Rs 1500 otherwise.

Except this fuse going kaput, there has been no issue in the car and it goes for regular servicing every 6 months which generally costs me Rs 2100 and includes oil/oil filter change etc. Nothing at all failed in the 2nd year.

My question is, now that I have driven it so much, what is the probabilty of any part failing which hasn't failed for 2 years and 33000kms? Is it worth buying 3rd year warranty for 5k approximately or I just leave it as it is, keep driving without warranty?

I thought team-bhp would be the best place to discuss this out and any suggestions/opinions will be helpful.

Anyway, Here is my car
Thanks.

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?-230920081006.jpg

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?-230920081010.jpg

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?-230920081012.jpg

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?-230920081014.jpg
Old 13th April 2009, 16:01   #2
BHPian

Always extend your warranty for the third year. Parts have more probability to fail in later years only. Do ask them whether the 3rd year warranty covers all that was covered in the first 2 years or not.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Extended warranty is ALWAYS a need.

btw. is there any upper limit for the KMs driven in that 3rd year? Just make sure whats covered in this and whats not. So, you dont have any surprises later.

I think, its would be fair to go ahead and get that warranty.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:09   #4
BHPian

I think you should go for the 3rd year and 4th year warranty cover together. That way, you might have some discount as well. However, do check what all is covered and if there is any difference from the initial 2years of coverage.
Old 13th April 2009, 17:09   #5
BHPian

must have

The extended warranty is a must-have for all fiesta owners. Saves a lot of money. Have no hesitation in picking it.
Old 13th April 2009, 17:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
unni.ak : I think you should go for the 3rd year and 4th year warranty cover together. That way, you might have some discount as well. .
No discount for taking both years together. Take atleast 1 year. and extend it if you still have the car for the 4th year.
Old 13th April 2009, 18:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

if its a ford = YES!
Old 13th April 2009, 18:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Year 3 warranty is valid for how many km? Last I knew, Ford offered Year 3/40,000km warranty. You've done 33k km already. By the time your 40 k km comes up, you'll have only gone through 6-7 months of your Year 3 warranty. Worth it for Rs.5k? And IIRC the Year 3 warranty does not cover suspension components. Please confirm.
Old 13th April 2009, 18:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'd say yes get the third year warranty. The third year is probably when parts will start wearing out and will need to be replaced.
Also, ford aren't known for reliability

cheers
Old 13th April 2009, 18:51   #10
BHPian

i have the fiesta and extended its warranty to 3rd and 4th year at time of buying the car itself.i would suggest you to extend the warranty to 3rd and if possible 4th.
Old 13th April 2009, 18:53   #11
Team-BHP Support

Go go go.
As a Ford owner without extended warranty, I can only advice you to learn from my mistake.
Old 13th April 2009, 19:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
I think you should go for the 3rd year and 4th year warranty cover together. That way, you might have some discount as well. However, do check what all is covered and if there is any difference from the initial 2years of coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Extended warranty is ALWAYS a need.

btw. is there any upper limit for the KMs driven in that 3rd year? Just make sure whats covered in this and whats not. So, you dont have any surprises later.

I think, its would be fair to go ahead and get that warranty.
I will check with the upper limit tomorrow morning first thing and if it is way far ahead, I will simply buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascertain View Post
The extended warranty is a must-have for all fiesta owners. Saves a lot of money. Have no hesitation in picking it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
Always extend your warranty for the third year. Parts have more probability to fail in later years only. Do ask them whether the 3rd year warranty covers all that was covered in the first 2 years or not.
Need to check that as well, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
No discount for taking both years together. Take atleast 1 year. and extend it if you still have the car for the 4th year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if its a ford = YES!
Haahaa well I don't believe in that one, there are better reasons for extending the warranty than this ford = YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Year 3 warranty is valid for how many km? Last I knew, Ford offered Year 3/40,000km warranty. You've done 33k km already. By the time your 40 k km comes up, you'll have only gone through 6-7 months of your Year 3 warranty. Worth it for Rs.5k? And IIRC the Year 3 warranty does not cover suspension components. Please confirm.
I doubt it will cover suspension, they safely leave out the parts which wear and tear as you drive, which is fair in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
I'd say yes get the third year warranty. The third year is probably when parts will start wearing out and will need to be replaced.
Also, ford aren't known for reliability

cheers
Why would you say they are not reliable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
i have the fiesta and extended its warranty to 3rd and 4th year at time of buying the car itself.i would suggest you to extend the warranty to 3rd and if possible 4th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Go go go.
As a Ford owner without extended warranty, I can only advice you to learn from my mistake.
Tell us more about your mistake if possible, you could point us to it if you have started another thread or you could still start a new one. It will be beneficial for Ford owners.

Thanks a lot guys, you all have been very helpful and as you can see, no one says warranty is not required. So yeah I'll buy it tomorrow and put the scan of the document of what all is covered in this forum. Keep your posts coming. Seriously, team-bhp can make easy work of the most confusing decisions.
Old 13th April 2009, 21:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Go for it---see my long term review and Suman's---we've covered this point
Old 14th April 2009, 13:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Go for it---see my long term review and Suman's---we've covered this point
Thanks vnabhi, I got the warranty extended today. I'll be posting the details in a few minutes from now. In the process of clicking the documents I got from them.
Old 14th April 2009, 13:35   #15
BHPian

Extended warranty detail document from Ford

Guys,

After the responses from fellow team-bhpians I went ahead and got the warranty extended today for the 3rd year now. It costed me Rs 5090 and I am attaching the snaps of the document that they gave me. Hopefully this will prove helpful to our forum members and not only Ford owners but others too.

The warranty cover is till 60000 kms except for certain parts which are covered for lesser mileage and is detailed in the subsequent pages I attached. I have done 33000 which gives me enough room to justify the renewal.

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?-14042009094.jpg

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?-14042009095.jpg

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?-14042009096.jpg

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?-14042009097.jpg

Fiesta-Should I extend the warranty for 3rd year?-14042009098.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks