Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

yup cam cover was SUZUKI, all electricals like wiper motor, alternator, starter etc were all NipponDenso.
Headlights were 'stanley' brand and tailight cluster and side indicator was 'Tokico'. Steering wheel hornpad was written 'Maruti' in English and later they became hindi. Even the quality control 'OK' sticker was written in English and later they started writing "Swikruth" in Hindi
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks MPower.Your 1986 800 must have had SUZUKI embossed on the engine tappet cover. Mine has Maruti embossed- a change over since I guess 1987.Yes, will take care of the rust prone areas.It has done about 70000 kms on the odo.I can vouch that its overall better than any of the post 1990's Maruti 800's, as I had taken showroom delivery of brand new ones for friends even driving some of them later many a time then and could get the crap-like feeling
The 92 was so bad it used to make a krrrghhhrr shound when the starter engaged and the shift quality was terrible and the engine vibrations were also worse. We were so disappointed and dejected that we sold it after less than 2 years and got the Zen.
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:33   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
yup cam cover was SUZUKI, all electricals like wiper motor, alternator, starter etc were all NipponDenso.
Headlights were 'stanley' brand and tailight cluster and side indicator was 'Tokico'. Steering wheel hornpad was written 'Maruti' in English and later they became hindi. Even the quality control 'OK' sticker was written in English and later they started writing "Swikruth" in Hindi

The 92 was so bad it used to make a krrrghhhrr shound when the starter engaged and the shift quality was terrible and the engine vibrations were also worse. We were so disappointed and dejected that we sold it after less than 2 years and got the Zen.
MPower that's a Japanese citizenship for your 1986 Maruti. In fact, mine has all the above electrical goodies from Nippon Denso.The headlights and tail lights are from Lumax.The horn button on steering has MARUTI in English too.
Fully agree with you as far as the 1990's Maruti 800 quality is concerned.The dash plastic was worse than that found on the Tata Ace today.In the DX variants the air vents on the dash used to corrode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi
when you keep a car that long it becomes part of the family.I hope you hold on to it,maybe you could give it a overhaul and a nice paint job.Elsewhere on the forum there are 800's which have done 2lac + kms (siralec) so i guess these babies have a lot of stamina in them.

I too have a 97 800 which i have kept lovingly and probably (touch wood) be keeping it for as long as i live.

Good luck.
Thanks Sumeet. Yes, the car has thousands of miles to go before it sleeps-and I won't allow it to sleep either!
Your suggestion for a good paint job is well taken. I am very sentimental about the original coat.Maybe it loses its sheen fully some day, when I will be compelled to go for a paint job.
In the US, the social security dole seekers come in battered cars and can be easily spotted.Guess my 800 may reach that level sometime to call for greater attention!
Old 13th August 2011, 17:50   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car

The petite lady in white is still with me and gives me very lovely drives, whenever its taken out for a spin. Its weekly or sometimes a biweekly outing with the car.Though its used for 10-15 km runs once a week or in two weeks,the car is still a breeze to drive.It is in a mechanically perfect shape.
I marvel at the simplicity and rudimentary nature of the car.
The 1998 Sony make, cassette deck with FM,MW, SW1 and SW2 radio (XR-3757 with four speakers) music system is the only component that can be called a gizmo (if deemed fit) fitted to the car.The deck is still giving me a flawless service.It had replaced the two speaker 1987 Clarion cassette deck, that was originally fitted (it had FM/MW radio too) as an accessory to the car.
After driving the mightier cars and the regularly used Scorpio, this one feels like a small toy to handle. Its so nimble and can reach anywhere.With the larger cars we cannot take this liberty.No thief worth his salt will ever try and give a "Burri Nazar" (evil eye) to an 800 today! Thats because he will be downgraded to DDD+ grade (is it a Standard and Chor's downgrade?) in his charmed anti-social circle. "Arre aaj bhi tu 800 chori karta hain" (even today you steal only 800's).
The fourth cog is the topmost on this car's gearbox and it has the stratospheric limits ( for the tiny engine) to reach. The top speed is around 120 kmph but I have just crossed 100kmph and no more on this car.It feels very unsafe even at 100 plus kmph.Even a small boulder or speedbreaker can totally dislodge the car at these speeds.
The CJ Series jeeps that I have been using all the while, had only three gears and the first gear was only to start (not synchromesh).It means one cannot engage the first gear while on the move at lower speeds.A metallic and hostile noise emanates from the gearbox if ever by mistake one engages the first cog while on the move! So its the second and the third gears that drive you all along. The two speed 4X4 does duty on rough patches.The Maruti was a much better change with the 4 gears and all active.
About two and a half years back, on a long drive of about 90 +90 kms to a nearby spot, as I and my family travelled on the NH-6 (Kolkata-Mumbai),there were two large potholes that came along without any warning and the car got rattled, giving a rude bump every time. I was expecting some bad news from the front axles, but no - these have remained intact. More than a decade ago, these were replaced with two new axles (@Rs 1300/- each MGP only).
At times, after I take over this one's wheel, I have the boss like feeling (remnant) on the road, that has evidently developed with my regular use of the Scorpio. But when Santros,Altos sometimes Bullets and nowadays even Nanos come to the right side of the road or sometimes claim the right of way, I realise I am perched only on an 800 ! Even the autorickshaws try to bully you on the road. But with the Scorpio its different.These toys mostly disappear and observe the rules. It amply proves that "might is right" even today.
All said and done, the 800 has its own place and a thats a secured one in my heart. I have seen so many ups and downs with this car- its been my lucky ambulance (my Alsatian dog that was treated regularly in a hospital during its late years passed away in 1996 at age 15- age matters for canines), pick-up truck and people carrier all along the 24 years its been with the family and the 21 plus years with me.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th August 2011 at 18:05.
Old 18th December 2011, 20:21   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The petite lady in white had a good check up a few days back at a local workshop. The rubber covers of the drive shafts were replaced. So also the metal plate in the engine bay on which the battery is housed.The fog lights were also repaired, as the wiring had caused problems.
The battery, an Exide Express, nearly 4 plus years old, was replaced with a new Amaron.
To complete the job a wash and a polish job were also done. The car is again in fine fettle now.I can use it for intra-city jobs as parking takes little effort and also manouvering through the crowded, narrow streets.
Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dsc08223.jpg
The rusted old battery plate- of 1987 vintage!
Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dsc08224.jpg

Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dsc08225.jpg
All the TLC for the loved one!
Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dsc08226.jpg
The new powerhouse
Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dsc08227.jpg
Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dsc08104.jpg
Recently, while being parked outside the house, some vandals stole the Suzuki logo I had affixed on the grille.
Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dsc08103.jpg
So bought a new one.
Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dsc08106.jpg
And affixed it - parking is mostly within the compound now a days!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th December 2011 at 20:26.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:59   #20
BHPian

The First love is first love and there is no second or third that has the quite the charm !
2007 Sept - I got the my GT40 from a pre-owned dealer ship. It has lived up to its legacy of white elephant in the first 2 years of ownership. Until the last 3 months I had plans of getting a brio/beat/Figo petrol. Primarily due to my low usage. The Ikon being the josh machine that it is, will certainly have its ikonic presence for the rest of my life. No matter what this baby ain't going to any other owner. The passion has been re-ignited with this thread.

Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dscn2196.jpg
Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-ikon2.jpg

Last edited by lancersfx : 17th May 2012 at 11:01.
Old 8th August 2012, 23:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

My 1987 Maruti 800 ( My Petite Lady in White) has completed 25 years! Today I went for the fitness test for the car. It is still giving me carefree drives and even now never fails to enthuse me. Having been with us all through, the car feels out of place with the contemporary cars but nevertheless has never let me down.I and my family members still treasure the lovely memories of the 25 years gone by.
It looks so basic and rudimentary now, but was once a
cynosure of all eyes !
The fitness test fee charged was Rs 300=00. The Green tax element though much criticized has become a reality for all 15 year plus vehicles in Maharashtra. It is being levied w.e.f 15/10/ 2010. Mine is now cleared upto 30/09/2015. The tax was Rs 3000=00, over which a fine of Rs 1680/- has been levied as fine for delayed payment ( fine w.e.f. Oct 2010).
The car's maneuverability is awesome and it traffic manners on the crowded city roads is among the best.It is the least fussy as far as parking is concerned and this is among one of its best features.

Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-dsc02637.jpg

The car

Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-picture-210.jpg

Green Tax

Memories: Some Touching Moments-You and Your Car-copy-picture-209.jpg

PUC certificate
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 00:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My 1987 Maruti 800 ( My Petite Lady in White) has completed 25 years!
This encourages me even further not to part with my 98 esteem, I have got excellent offers (considering the age), mostly from racing teams, but I have managed to keep her till date and hope to in the future also. I do not have another NEW car, the esteem has been my only car for many years and I hope I can keep it till my kids can take over and feel proud of their inheritance.
Old 9th August 2012, 22:14   #23
BHPian

Quote:
My 1987 Maruti 800 ( My Petite Lady in White) has completed 25 years!
Dr. Anjan, congratulations and happy anniversary on 25 years!!! Any plans to give her a cosmetic make over?
Old 9th August 2012, 22:53   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
This encourages me even further not to part with my 98 esteem, I have got excellent offers (considering the age), mostly from racing teams, but I have managed to keep her till date and hope to in the future also. I do not have another NEW car, the esteem has been my only car for many years and I hope I can keep it till my kids can take over and feel proud of their inheritance.
Oh, so its news that a tiny Maruti 800 inspires! Many, many thanks esteem_lover. With a car the love grows till the fifth year, from the sixth year onwards we see the newer technology (especially at our neighbours place) and think of replacements.That goes on right upto the 12-15th year, in case the car has not been sold and replaced.Then from the 15th year its love sublime and from the 20th year its "this car will be with me till I am here on this planet!"
The above assumptions are applicable to many car lovers, unless its eternal love from the very first day of possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Dr. Anjan, congratulations and happy anniversary on 25 years!!! Any plans to give her a cosmetic make over?
Thanks Joseph. Let me see - it will need new footwear soon.I will however retain total originality in any case.The front grille is changed to one from a 1994 onwards model.I think I should get the original one fitted.
Please feel free to suggest any more jobs that can be done.
Old 9th August 2012, 23:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Joseph. Let me see - it will need new footwear soon.I will however retain total originality in any case.The front grille is changed to one from a 1994 onwards model.I think I should get the original one fitted.
Please feel free to suggest any more jobs that can be done.
IIRC, this grill came from 95 onwards when Maruti introduced rear split seats for a small duration. The original grill should not be hard to find but the 'Maruti 800 'monograms will be.

Do you still have the original monograms at rear? There should be Maruti sticker written in Hindi.

Glad to see that you have the original SS hub caps .
Old 10th August 2012, 20:26   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
IIRC, this grill came from 95 onwards when Maruti introduced rear split seats for a small duration. The original grill should not be hard to find but the 'Maruti 800 'monograms will be.

Do you still have the original monograms at rear? There should be Maruti sticker written in Hindi.

Glad to see that you have the original SS hub caps .
Joseph, I have the original grill but it has some cracked ribs - repairable however.
The rear monogram (the one affixed to the body on the right) is original over which I have stuck a new one.The outer one was shiny earlier but now maybe if the original is unveiled, the looks may be the same.
During 1987, the Maruti in Hindi did not appear. The left side was blank. The deluxe version had the letters "DX" written on the left side during this period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks