Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 18:52   #1
BHPian

How to ensure buyer of a car registers it in his name?

Mods please change if this not the appropriate section. As the title implies, when selling a car, how can we ensure that the buyer gets it registered in his name so that I am not responsible for any liabilities and legal issues from that date. The procedure I have seen is a written agreement on a Rs.50/- stamp paper, the original of which is kept by the buyer which I feel not safe enough.
Old 14th April 2009, 19:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

do you have a delivery note? some of the consequences were discussed here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...red-light.html
Old 14th April 2009, 19:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Mods please change if this not the appropriate section. As the title implies, when selling a car, how can we ensure that the buyer gets it registered in his name so that I am not responsible for any liabilities and legal issues from that date. The procedure I have seen is a written agreement on a Rs.50/- stamp paper, the original of which is kept by the buyer which I feel not safe enough.
It is a serious issue and whenver i sell off my old car i make it a point that i take a Xerox of all the Forms duly filled and signed and with my covering letter deposit them with the Registering Authority so that it comes in their records and i am safe....
Old 14th April 2009, 20:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
It is a serious issue and whenver i sell off my old car i make it a point that i take a Xerox of all the Forms duly filled and signed and with my covering letter deposit them with the Registering Authority so that it comes in their records and i am safe....
Will do the same. I think I will get copy of his Voter ID too. Will these be sufficient? And thanks to greenhorn for the link.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Ensure that you:

1. Retain the sales receipt & delivery note documents. Duly signed of course.

2. Have a copy of the new owner's address proof.

3. Send a xeroxed set of all the above-mentioned documents to the RTO & your insurance company via Regd with A.D with a covering letter. Mention the payment details as well (e.g. cheque number, dated, which bank, branch and amount). Maintain the postal confirmation in your records.

4. Have the new buyer send you a copy of the updated RC book, which shows the car has been transferred to his name. This will, in all probability, require some followup.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

...or offer the buyer Rs 10000 back if the transfer is done within 6 weeks with documented proof. You need to factor this into price
Old 15th April 2009, 11:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

If you sell your car to a dealer, then there is every possibility that the name change will not transpire very soon. Always better to sell it to a genuine buyer who is as interested in transferring it to his name as you are.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks