Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 03:39   #1
BHPian

Sobha Apartment Experience, reviews

Hi Guys,

I searched the forum but could not find any information on this.

I'm planning to take a house in Sobha Dahlia on the ORR near Sarjapur junction. I wanted to check if there are any fellow Bhpians staying in any of the Sobha's here so who could give me a first hand reviews of the pros and cons of staying at sobha.

There are a lot of apartments of Sobha here like Daisy, Aquamarine, Primrose, Carnation, Mayflower, etc and of course Dahlia itself.

Can someone give me feedback on the amenities, club house, power back up, water supply and quality, etc please so that I dont have to regret my decision later. Are there any other cons and pros that I would have to look at?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 24th April 2009, 10:30   #2
BHPian

I don't own an apartment in Sobha, but have visited the place many times. I would advise you to check the following:
- Mosquitoes: Visit the area (one of the Sobhas or Suncity) at around 6-7 pm and see if you are OK with the number of mosquitoes per cubic meter. Courtesy: Bellandur lake.
- Water: Again, thanks to Bellandur lake, the ground water has slightly higher salt and some heavy metal content. Can be sorted out with an RO system for drinking purposes. I don't think any of these places get corporation water, so you would be dependent on ground-water.
- Road Noise: I don't remember where the Dahlia is located, but Aquamarine and Hibiscus are very noisy.
- Club House: Haven't been to the club house.
- Quality of construction: About a decade back, Sobha set the benchmark here. The competition has caught up to an extent, but even now, I rate them very highly.

Good Luck,
Su-47
Old 24th April 2009, 12:42   #3
BHPian

I have no first hand experience but this might be helpful SOBHA DEVELOPERS Review, SOBHA DEVELOPERS India - MouthShut.com
Old 24th April 2009, 12:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am watching this thread closely.

@CorsaLove, any idea what is the current rate per sq feet for these apartments?
Old 24th April 2009, 14:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Water is supposed to be a long term problem. Sobha are cash strapped. People say that a lot of work rectification/ plumbing replacements on hold as a result
Old 24th April 2009, 15:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Our apartment is near Sobha(but on the other side of the road).
When I was into the market(2004) , I explored Sobha as well as several other apartment buildings. They were better than what I eventually purchased.
The reason why I did not go for them was the millions of mosquitos in the evening. The reason is the huge Belandaur lake(for the want of a better word I will call it lake). That side of ORR becomes a mosquito laden hell, esp in the evening. So I would suggest you try to get a little far from Belandur lake.
Old 24th April 2009, 16:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Oh - I just read the mouthshut thread - Very sad fall from grace indeed!! They are getting slammed for the very things they were known for at one time; to see an opinion that was built painstakingly trashed like this!!

I happened to be looking at Dahlia myself - a lake facing flat on one of the higher floors. I gave up the plan for the following reasons..

1. Extremely small living/dining... The entrance, and dimensions play havoc with furniture placement! (normally a furniture layout should have been done before finalising the execution drawing - wonder if this ever got done!)

2. Awfully small bedrooms considering its a 1750 sft flat! Oman Topaz - which is their first project is about the same size - and yet far more spacious!

3. Was warned about the mosquito problem - Half the locked up flats we saw had over 1000 dead mosquitoes per square foot on the floor! - No I am NOT exaggerating - We were forced to walk thru that and we left mashed gooey footprints all over! The security and the maintenance staff confirmed that fumigation is done on a daily basis - at dusk every evening.

4. The Club House itself is a separate structure at the end of the road - upto a good 200 mts or more away! This is shared amongst the projects (5/6 IIRC). Not very convenient if you want to use the pool! The pool itself is extremely small given the population it has to cater to!

5. Apparently some plan to charge separately for the clubhouse is afoot! In other words tenants will have to pay separately to use the clubhouse - it is NOT a part of the maintenance charges you pay. (This is a decision that is being put to vote amongst the associations - rates will be published post that - and knowing Sobha that may not be exactly cheap.. if it does come to pass that is!)

6. Reports of ground water contamination thanks to the effluents in Belandur Tank. There have been reports of heavy metal contaminants in the past (fish kills used to be common). Apparently there have been issues of skin rashes and allergies in the tank bed area etc I am told!

7. Last but not the least - the thing looks like a concrete jungle!

Disclaimer: These are things that came up in the course of my search - most of which is largely hearsay (as in I did not get the water tested from each of the various borewells to decipher the extent of contamination - for instance!) Therefore please do your own research/analysis before arriving at any opinion!

Last edited by kb100 : 24th April 2009 at 17:01.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:27   #8
BHPian

I am currently contemplating an apartment in the same area - Sobha Dahlia/lavender. Most of the negatives have already been brought out here. My prime concerns were -

- The stink from the "lake"
- The common clubhouse (shared by 1000+ families). I visited it on a saturday evening and its woefully inadequate.
- The mosquitoes

Some friends stay at sobha mayflower on the higher floors - haven't heard any complaints from them - but then Mayflower has its own pool and gym while these so called high end apartments don't.

The future of the common clubhouse isn't clear because Sobha are undecided on handing over the maintenance to the associations vs managing it themselves. Will probably look elsewhere unless they(sobha) sweeten the deal.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 7th June 2009 at 11:32. Reason: content
Old 27th August 2009, 01:02   #9
BHPian

At last took a house in Sobha Dahlia. It is beautiful and I'm enjoying every moment of it.

Although I wanted to buy a house, I happened to pick this up for rent as I have other property plans lined up. The area is good and the flats are well maintained. I got a new house which has not been lived in.

I had Packers and movers do the job for me on Sunday and they did it perfectly. Should give a head's up to Lead. Just settling in and logging on to Team BHP as my airtel connection just got activated here.

The area itself is good and all the complaints that I have got about the club and the environment dont seem to add up to the reason not to live here. Although mosquitoes are a bit of trouble but never the less has been taken care of by Sobha also as they spray the smoke everyday in the evening.

Will update more later as its time to sleep. Yaaawn!
Old 27th August 2009, 09:09   #10
BHPian

welcome corsalover
Join SobhaBennadur group so you will have nce idea what is going on in Bellandur area
I stay in Aquamarine
Old 28th August 2009, 01:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
welcome corsalover
Join SobhaBennadur group so you will have nce idea what is going on in Bellandur area
I stay in Aquamarine
Oh Good someone near by. Are you telling me about something good happening in Bellandur or bad??? Could not quite get what you meant.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Oh Good someone near by. Are you telling me about something good happening in Bellandur or bad??? Could not quite get what you meant.
It is just normal info which is discussed in this. nothing serious/bad
Old 29th August 2009, 18:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
At last took a house in Sobha Dahlia. It is beautiful and I'm enjoying every moment of it.
How much are you paying for the rent + maint. and whats the total Sqft of the flat. If you dont want to share this publicly, PM me
Old 29th August 2009, 21:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats CorsaLove. I was also looking at buying one of the Sobha apts on Sarjapur road last year but then picked up one in CV Raman Nagar as we were more comfortable in this area.
Old 30th August 2009, 03:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
How much are you paying for the rent + maint. and whats the total Sqft of the flat. If you dont want to share this publicly, PM me
The flat is a 3 bedroom + 3 bathroom and 1800 sq. ft.. I'm paying 17 and a half inclusive maintainence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks