Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 14:51   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Natural Sedative for Cats while travelling

Does any one know of any natural (or artificial?) sedatives for cats? I plan to take my 8 month old kitten with me when I travel. I left her at the Boarding last week and I was horrified to come back and see her huddled under a bunch of newspapers whilst all the others were up and about.

She growled at me all the way home, and even peed in fright in her little carry-cage. I resolved not to leave her behind going forward. Worst case, get her a friend to baby-sit while I am gone.

However, she is not the best when it comes to trips by road. She will end up crying all the way until I reach my destination. Letting her out of her carry cage will be a huge distraction for me when I drive, so thats a no-no (especially when driving alone).

I plan to give her a very small sedative dosage just so that she's drowsy and sleeps off a bit until I reach my destination. I plan to do this only if I am driving alone (which should not be too often).

Does anybody here have any guidance for me?
Old 24th April 2009, 15:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

I suggest either find a friend who can accommodate her or a care taker who can feed her at your place. Cats unlike dogs know how to take care for themselves and can be left at home if someone can feed em.

My experience of having them is, even if they disappear for a while they will come back as soon as they see the owner and house reopen with food.

On the other hand they really dont like travel by vehicles and get quite disoriented in a new place (hence the screaming), unlike dogs who are ok as long as the owner is with them.

I could have offered help, but right now there is a very excited dog in my house and am not sure he knows what a cat is
Old 24th April 2009, 15:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why put her in a cage?? I used to take mine along to various places without too much hassle. But it was clear that she never really liked it at all... quite unlike my doggie. She was much, much happier alone at home...

Why don't you consult your vet about the sedative?
Old 24th April 2009, 15:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I suggest either find a friend who can accommodate her or a care taker who can feed her at your place. Cats unlike dogs know how to take care for themselves and can be left at home if someone can feed em.

My experience of having them is, even if they disappear for a while they will come back as soon as they see the owner and house reopen with food.

On the other hand they really dont like travel by vehicles and get quite disoriented in a new place (hence the screaming), unlike dogs who are ok as long as the owner is with them.

I could have offered help, but right now there is a very excited dog in my house and am not sure he knows what a cat is
You are right Jaggu. She does not like new surroundings. Very happy sniffing the same old things time and again. What a contented life! My issue is I hate leaving her at boarding because she obviously hates it. And I live alone, so taking her with me seemed like the only option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Why put her in a cage?? I used to take mine along to various places without too much hassle. But it was clear that she never really liked it at all... quite unlike my doggie. She was much, much happier alone at home...

Why don't you consult your vet about the sedative?
The issue with leaving her out of the cage in a car when I am driving is, she runs around my legs! And having her in between my legs and the pedals is not a good thing! She also loves to walk all over the dashboard hindering visibility. And you are always wondering what she is upto. Some time back, she managed to open the passenger power window! Gave me the fright of my life!

I will be consulting my vet - however decided to check around before!
Old 24th April 2009, 17:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

All the best, try with one of your pet loving friends if you can, and definitely she is better off in a cage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks