Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2009, 17:55   #16
BHPian

This my cat, she has now grown up

She is one of the most understanding cats i have ever seen.
When she was small, she slept with me in bed, everyday, she followed me where ever i went, i was her mother.
After growing up, she started to go out and i let her, she couldnt find her way back the first few times so i use to find her, but now she goes and then comes back. She usually goes in the night as it is dark and cool and returns befor dawn break, as crows and other animals wake up and it starts to get hot.
She stays home the full day and then goes again in the night. I never had any problem training her, just used strings and balls to make learn the art of catching her prey, i use to urge her to jump higher and higher, strengthening her hind legs, and even though she is a home bred cat, she can jumps as high as a stray.
She still likes to cuddle up to me, but not so much, she will lick my fingers when she wants to show affection and bites me lightly when she is playing with me.
She has been with me for over 9 months and when i found her she was no more than a month old. Her mother had died and she was alone (all of her siblings were taken by other people), she came to me, caught my pant and meowd at me, i just couldnt leave a cat like that alone, so i brought her home, both my parents were furious, my dad said that till i dont get her out of the house he wont return, i didnt and so didnt he, it is only for a few months that everything is returning to normal, mom is also quite in love with her, but still feels she is dirty. The first few days were difficult as she was very scared and i actually didnt sleep for 2 nights, just stayed awake for her, she vomited and had loose motions, but after just 2 days she was the happiest cat.
She was and still is very curious, i can even say the most curious cat, IMO the phrase - ' Curiousity killed the cat' was made for my cat.

Anyways, she is very alert and if anyone is at the door she comes to know much earlier then the door bell. If it is a known person she will go towards the door and if not the go and hid. This is not like a dog but still useful.
Having a dog would mean that he/she would always stay with you, not wanting freedom, but the cat needs it.
Dogs need to be cleaned, cats clean themselves, sometimes after being out she comes home dirty, so i give her a bath, like once in 2 months.

If we give food, shelter,water, etc to a dog, he thinks "They must be gods"
If we give food, shelter,water, etc to a cat, she thinks "I must be a god"

If you think that your pet should obey you, go for a dog, but if you want your pet to be like your friend with its rights and freedom, then you can go for a cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Want a Cat, where to get?-07012009056.jpg  

Want a Cat, where to get?-15122008015.jpg  

Want a Cat, where to get?-15122008017.jpg  

Want a Cat, where to get?-15122008021.jpg  

Want a Cat, where to get?-16122008036.jpg  

Want a Cat, where to get?-dsc00230.jpg  

Want a Cat, where to get?-dsc00232.jpg  

Want a Cat, where to get?-dsc00236.jpg  

Want a Cat, where to get?-dsc00248.jpg  

Want a Cat, where to get?-dsc00250.jpg  

Old 27th April 2009, 18:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
huh?

Back in college, as part of the animal lovers' society - we used to give them grass to nibble and eat. Its supposed to be good for them.
Ever noticed sick dogs eating grass? Grass is a digestive aid. All animals - wild included nibble on grass to get that fiber in if they are sick.

That being said if you feed a carnivorous animal only grass, you are going to find your fingers and toes missing one morning.
Old 27th April 2009, 18:42   #18
BANNED

@abhayshanu: adorable ball of fur there. What have you named her?
Old 27th April 2009, 18:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That being said if you feed a carnivorous animal only grass, you are going to find your fingers and toes missing one morning.
Good One !
Old 27th April 2009, 19:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ever noticed sick dogs eating grass? Grass is a digestive aid. All animals - wild included nibble on grass to get that fiber in if they are sick.

Exactly. It is supposed to build their resistance (so the vets say).

LOL. That was quite opposite the idea. They were born quite unwell, and hence they got too much medicines, milk, grass among other stuff.

That said, raising TWO kittens at once is a bloody nuisance. Their ability to hide behind electrical wiring is amazing (think of a hostel and floor wise transformers), and them cutely curling up on the comp was fun.

The only pain was to get them to graze. I ruined almost two tee shirts carrying them to the big garden because they love slipping off my shoulders and trying to clamber back up - and they had painful claws.
Old 27th April 2009, 19:51   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Grooming your Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Exactly. It is supposed to build their resistance (so the vets say).

LOL. That was quite opposite the idea. They were born quite unwell, and hence they got too much medicines, milk, grass among other stuff.

That said, raising TWO kittens at once is a bloody nuisance. Their ability to hide behind electrical wiring is amazing (think of a hostel and floor wise transformers), and them cutely curling up on the comp was fun.

The only pain was to get them to graze. I ruined almost two tee shirts carrying them to the big garden because they love slipping off my shoulders and trying to clamber back up - and they had painful claws.
I have a strange feeling that this thread is metamorphosing into a thread about kittens, cats and all their worldly conquests (read: us). You can easily cut your cats nails by gently squeezing their claws until the nails pop out and using your normal nail cutter to slowly cut a bit above the cuticle.

If you cut too close the cuticle, there is a huge chance of touching a nerve, with lots of bleeding and infections around the corner (the cat and you - she is gonna scratch your B***s off if you end up hurting her). So take them to vet to see how the professionals do it and then mimic it at home - preferably just after they have snoozed.

Secondly, I have huge hair problems with my kitty. God, there used to be hair EVERYWHERE! I groomed her once at the vet, found that too expensive and after watching how they did it (they sedated her and proceeded to groom her), and she suffered the post sedation effects and I was very pissed off. CUPA vets are quite impersonal when they use their regular boys to do things, and I really dont like that *care* one bit.

So now I groom her myself using a fully automatic beard trimmer. Very safe, very effective, no sedation and usually a kitten that kind of regards you as big momma wont squirm much if you are in control. Best of all: FREE!

Now I am trying to figure out how she can travel with me long distance in my car without giving me hell. The search continues...

Last edited by Red Liner : 27th April 2009 at 19:52.
Old 27th April 2009, 20:00   #22
BHPian

@zaks: My friend's cat gave birth to a few kittens, out of which she gave away two I think. Please let me know if you're interested, I can sound her out.
Old 27th April 2009, 21:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I have a strange feeling that this thread is metamorphosing into a thread about kittens, cats and all their worldly conquests (read: us). You can easily cut your cats nails by gently squeezing their claws until the nails pop out and using your normal nail cutter to slowly cut a bit above the cuticle.
I would suggest never cut the nails, you can live with the pain of a scratch from her, but can you live with the pain of her falling down and not being able to grip due to no claws.
I have decided not to cut them as have seen here use them and i am sure with out them she would not only be defenceless but also loose most of her grip.

@all i have not named my cat. Tried to find names but none suited her, so she doesnt have a perticular name, so when i have to call her i just say, meow, meri meow, billi madam, madamji, memsahab, come here, anything that comes to mind and she also responds, unless she is angry with me.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yeah never cut the nails of cat , its for there defense .
Here is mine .She fights with me always , my hand is full of scars !

Last edited by black12rr : 30th April 2009 at 13:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks