Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2009, 21:54   #1
BHPian

Mosquito control using fumigation machines.

Hi,

Does any one have any idea about those white smoke throwing fumigation machines to kill mosquitoes.
We, for our apartment block are planning to procure such an equipment, so I just wanted to know if any one has any experience with those machines.

I am looking for some information under the following categories:
1. Pros/Cons?
2. Manufacturers in bangalore.
3. Cost of such machines.
4. Any other alternatives to "mass murder" these blood sucking tiny little monsters!.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks and Regards,
Mohit
Old 11th May 2009, 05:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
4. Any other alternatives to "mass murder" these blood sucking tiny little monsters!.
The best way I have found out is physical barrier. cover all your windows, ventilators etc with fine nylon/metal mesh. install spring loaded mesh screen doors on your doors. Some may still get in, but not enough to bother you. an additional protection may be ultrasonic repellers. Have never tried though.

Once you start reading carcinogenic and gene mutating effects of insecticides, you will realize how much poison you may be releasing into the environment. And I am including all of them including all-out/good-night etc. remember, it all ends up in our drinking water after a complete recycle.

edit:FRONTLINE: poisoned waters | PBS

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 11th May 2009 at 05:37.
Old 11th May 2009, 22:36   #3
BANNED

Those fumethrowers are poison. Do not use them.

Please!!!
Old 11th May 2009, 22:44   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Ultrasonic "repellents" don't.

Retailers had to give refunds in UK under Trades Description Act!

Unfortunately I'd thrown mine away, realising that it did nothing.
Old 12th May 2009, 00:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

as mentioned, simplest and cheapest method is the following:

step 1: Keep all doors/vents/windows closed when possible, and fit thin mesh on it.

step 2: All Out / Good knight : works pretty well.

step 3: for the last few buggers that make it in, buy one of those electric tennis racket like swatters. Not sure where their sold, but they're damn effective + satisfaction of electrocuting some of those blood leechers.
The racket-thing is also chargeable and doesn't hurt if you accidently touch it.

I have found that a combination of these three factors work best.

cheers
Old 12th May 2009, 00:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
step 3: for the last few buggers that make it in, buy one of those electric tennis racket like swatters. Not sure where their sold, but they're damn effective + satisfaction of electrocuting some of those blood leechers.
The racket-thing is also chargeable and doesn't hurt if you accidently touch it.
Using the racket one feels they have achieved revenge on the 'leechers'. The racket actually creates a racket when it gets hold of a victim.

A Chinese product, it retails around the Rs.150/- to 200/- mark. Available at a lot of shops these days, including supermarkets.
Old 12th May 2009, 00:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Using the racket one feels they have achieved revenge on the 'leechers'. The racket actually creates a racket when it gets hold of a victim.

A Chinese product, it retails around the Rs.150/- to 200/- mark. Available at a lot of shops these days, including supermarkets.
It is a feeling of pure bliss

hmmm... inflation seems to have pushed prices up. I remember paying 99/-. Either way, maybe OP, can organize a bulk buy for his apartment complex

cheers
Old 12th May 2009, 00:54   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

There are battery ones, there are re-chargeable ones. I think there are even re-chargeable ones with built in torch! So the price varies.

Even Spencers sell the simple ones (no safety guard; touching does hurt! But not that much). One set of two AA batteries despatches quite a few mossies.
Old 12th May 2009, 01:03   #9
BHPian

rechargeable ones used to cost 99, but soon the shopkeeprs realized the huge demand and raised the price.

It's really satsfying feeling to hear the blood-suckers pop in it. Sometimes I take the racket with me on the terrace , for some extra frags.

BTW u can kill a mosquito in it even the mosquito is on ur skin. u know...

Last edited by motionfreak : 12th May 2009 at 01:13.
Old 12th May 2009, 07:28   #10
BHPian

Ok guys, I was talking about the mosquitoes outside the house...in the so called garden and swimming pool area of our apartment.

We already have got the basics right...like no stagnant water & most of the bushes/low laying plants have been uprooted an discarded for the time being.

Within my home, I use the physical barrier + mosquito net + newspaper (will get the racket soon..sounds like fun )

Its the big open area around the house that is problematic. If not smoke throwers, what else can help me keep these mosquitoes away?

Regards,
Old 12th May 2009, 16:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

How about some cute toads?

Totally organic solution...
Old 12th May 2009, 21:09   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
BTW u can kill a mosquito in it even the mosquito is on ur skin. u know...
Indeed; in fact once they get that close to blood, they don't think about anything else, and they are easy to pick off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Gekkos are supposed to eat them, but I have only seen them eat smaller insects.

Most of the small birds in our garden flit around picking insects off the leaves; I hope that mosquitoes are part of their diet.

There is some brown liquid our gardener sometimes sprays --- I don't know what it is, and I'm afraid to ask! I worry that it will affect the birds, but they all seem to still be around.

We also have an organic compound that we are supposed to spray on the flooded plot next door, which is one of our main sources of mossies. We don't have anyone working on the garden except occasionally, and I have to admit that we are lazy to spray regularly. It is a naturally occuring bacteria, found in soil, that is harmless to almost everything but kills mosquito larvae. Called something like "Bt"
Old 5th August 2010, 09:28   #13
BHPian

In Bangalore is there any govt agency that we can contact if we want the them to come and fumigate the place ?
Of course against payment. Cause I'm sure the corporation/municipal authorities have folks that do this.

This is for our Apartment park/swimming pool area.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

You will soon have some cute looking snakes too and then the entire life cycle chain around the apartment block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Ok guys, I was talking about the mosquitoes outside the house...in the so called garden and swimming pool area of our apartment.
Its the big open area around the house that is problematic. If not smoke throwers, what else can help me keep these mosquitoes away?
Regards,
Agree to that, In our society complex we normally ask the local municipal authorities for fumigation once every two months esp in monsoon and normally once in a quarter for the rest of the year.
The fumigation is normally carried out during the day and sometimes around the noon when most of the children are off to school. Prioir information is given to the residents about the fumigations so that they can take precautions at their end. Its hardly a 20-25 min affair and is done away with soon.
IMO it is very effective.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Mohit,

Pls check if this link helps.

ROYAL TRADELINKS PVT. LTD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks