Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2009, 23:30   #1
BHPian

Query regarding Dubai

Hi bhpians,

I would be visiting Dubai for a few days. Its the 2nd time time i'm visting the city and have already been through desert safari, burj al arab, Jumeriah beach and the other main attractions.

This time round I'd like to concentrate a bit on other attractions as well SHOPPING (But I have my doubts whether its really worth it or not).

Shopping could include electronics, car audio, watches, computer peripherals, sunglasses, mobile phones, laptops, etc. I wanted to do my side of a comparo between the several products available in India as well as Dubai but I haven't been lucky on that part. Therefore I decided to put up a query in T-Bhp itself.

All suggestions are welcome. (For or against shopping in Dubai especially )

Cheers
Old 28th May 2009, 01:20   #2
BHPian

I can tell you where to shop for colognes (since I never remember names of the other places ) - Visit Meena Bazaar, they sell colognes for 1/3rd the price!
Old 28th May 2009, 02:21   #3
BHPian

Dubai is shopping heaven. You've got to go to the Mall Of Emirates, which will take up atleast five days of your time if you want to explore all of it. Also have a look at the indoor ski slope while you're there.

A new mall just opened which..........wait for it.......is 5 times as big as MOE! It's called Dubai Mall. If you get time, go down to Wild Wadi, it's a great water park. Shopping in MOE and Dubai Mall should keep you occupied for the best part of your trip...
Old 28th May 2009, 11:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Only if you are going for big ticket electronic items (Plasma/LCD TV, Washing machine, microwave etc), is it worth getting it from Dubai. But then, do remember that you *might* have to do some jugglery at the Customs to avoid duty.

e.g. I bought a 32 inch LCD from Dubai, 2 years back, when that particular model was not launched in India. Cost RS 37k (including duty). The same modelw as launched a few months later at an MRP of 70k.

Regarding cellphones, it is much better to buy from India as price as almost the same (India being cheaper at times) and warranty issues can be taken care of.

Currently, the whole city is on a sale (well, it always generally is!). So you can get good brands of clothes at a very nice price! Visit Mall of the Emirates, The Dubai Mall, Burjuman for clothes.

You could also look at home furnishings/furniture at Ikea. I really miss that here. Thats at Dubai Festival City, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I can tell you where to shop for colognes (since I never remember names of the other places ) - Visit Meena Bazaar, they sell colognes for 1/3rd the price!
That shop is called 'Ratans'. Genuine perfumes. Get the unboxed/tester bottles if you are not too finicky about fancy packing. Very cheap perfumes/colognes.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Jacky's or Al Rams at nasser square for electronics!
Old 12th January 2010, 18:38   #6
BANNED

Hi All.
Bumping old thread. Will be heading for dubai for a week or so by this month end. Please let me know in case of updated/changed/added input/info.

Also , dubai shopping festival ! is it really worth or just promo thing.?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks