Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 10:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

Internet gurus! HELP!! (Now Resolved)

My home internet connection is behaving in a horrible manner. In fact I’ve been facing this for few weeks now. Download speed is somehow ok but uploading is just not there.

Yesterday I tried uploading some pictures on TBHP but it just wouldn’t go. Next came the big surprise. A zipped folder of 33mb took more than 4 hour to upload. Normally it takes around 3-4 minutes to upload a file of that size. Bigger file like 80/90mb takes around 10 minutes and with my other machine (laptop) downloading files at the same time. My connection speed is 2mbps.

I call Airtel. Toll free number 121 from Airtel land line.

Airtel’s standard tune..
Your call is important us, please be online..
Our customer support will attend your call soon

After five minutes, customer support comes on line.

Good evening from Airtel. How can I help you?

My land line number is XXXXXXXX and my account number is XXXXXXXX. My internet connection is awfully slow. I think it’s behaving worse than a 56kbps connection. May I know why is that?

One moment sir, please be online. (rapid key tapping sound on the background). Am I talking to Mr Rudra Sen?

Yes you are. But what is the problem?

One moment sir, please be online. (rapid key tapping sound on the background). Sir we’ll rectify this online. Please go to start.

Which start?

Sir, start on your computer.

You mean I should switch off my machine and start again?

No sir, no sir. That start button on the bottom left on your window.

I don’t have any such facility. It is an Apple machine.

Apple computer? Sir we don’t support Apple machine.

Is it? Then how I’m using your connection for last 2 years?

Oh, then sir I’m giving you your complaint number. Please write it down sir XXXXXX

So what happens after getting this number? When it will get rectified?

Sir tomorrow is Sunday and engineers are not there. We will send somebody by Monday. Will you be at home around 11 in the morning?

I won’t be at home and I don’t think it has anything to do with my computer. I want Airtel to check at their end and probably the junction box outside our building. If there’s a problem with my router then that’s a different issue.

Sir which router are you using?

It is a Beetel 440TXI ADSL2 + Modem.

Who gave you this router sir?

Airtel.

You rented it from Airtel?

No, I bought it from Airtel.

Oh, ok sir. Let me see what I can do for you. Is there anything else sir?

No.

Thank you for calling Airtel. Have a nice evening sir.

Surprisingly I get a call from Airtel in next five minutes. One engineer is on his way.
He comes and says what kind of machine is this? Where’s the mouse?
I give the mouse. He starts keying in. Welcome to Airtel DSL > DSL gateway > System command > System info. And he finds my connection is SLOW indeed. Download speed is 2mbps but upload is 50kbps. He starts making calls. After 15 minutes he tells me that they need to check this issue properly and it could well be some fault somewhere outside.

This morning I check speed again on speedtest.net. It is download – 1.44mb/s and upload – 0.01mb/s

What do you guys think is the problem?
Old 7th June 2009, 10:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If it is not a line problem then most likely some wrong settings in the NOC. Technically all connections are same but the settings at the network end control things like speed / limits etc. If internet is a must always then would suggest but alternate connection hot-plug from reliance/indicom and use whenever such situation arises.

I would suspect the former.
Old 7th June 2009, 10:49   #3
BHPian

Normally when I have issues with my airtel broadband their service engineers are pretty prompt and competent. So best is to wait for them to arrive and check it out. May require n upgrade of some drivers, etc.
Old 7th June 2009, 10:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
If it is not a line problem then most likely some wrong settings in the NOC.
Sir, I'm one those very few who don't understand this technical things. What is NOC here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
May require n upgrade of some drivers, etc.
Driver? Where? If I remember correct they didn't load any driver on my machine. I'm talking about the time when I got the connection.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

No I do not think there would be any issue with driver if the connection is being made albeit slow.

NOC Network Operation Centre. Or exchange for simplicity. (see wikipedia here) This is where they would see if any setting has been (in)advertantly chnaged. Although I am surprised that the engineer did not do ADSL test like noise ratio etc. from your computer to check out if it is a line issue.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Rudra,

Dont let them touch your Mac. If they insist it has ANYTHING to do with your machine, tell them to send an engineer with a windows laptop to show you that it works properly.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

A normal connection just does not go kaput one fine morning. I would have suspected virus / *ware if it was MS, but with Apple that can be initially ruled out!

What my guess is that they (Airtel) have done some changes at their end, especially since you are having connectivity, but just a slower rate of transfer.

Get them to check the box and settings at their end; modifying anything on your mac should be the last thing to do, only if they are mighty sure that there is absolutely nothing wrong in their side.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

Yes Sam, I thought about this part because it's not technical.

Let's see what they have to say.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rudra Sen : Bigger file like 80/90mb takes around 10 minutes and with my other machine (laptop) downloading files at the same time.
@Rudra : little confused here. What is the comparison between download speeds on the laptop & the Mac ?

Basic troubleshooting tips I am only re-stating here .. If download is bad only on the Mac, then it would point to either config or hardware issues on the Mac. If it is seen on both, then the connection is the culprit. Either at modem end or the line, or your connection at Airtel's end.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:23   #10
Team-BHP Support

Condor, both my machine are Apple. There's no real download speed difference between them. Again problem is not much with download as I stated before. It's the upload. It's practically zero.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Suggest look at the logs of the modem. If it helps the 'engineers at Airtel, test the connection on a Windows laptop. (or ask them to bring one & test with their machine - if they cant understand your machines).

Also, if you have an unlimited plan, then it is possibly because they have (recently) downgraded the download speed on these unlimited plans. 2 Mbps download speed is available on the regular connections only. (Same with BSNL)

Last edited by condor : 7th June 2009 at 11:29.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:29   #12
BHPian

Dear Sir,

I will suggest, wait for a couple of testings more on the line. It is something post your router for sure. If the issue is not resolved, escalate the matters. They should be addressed as soon as possible post escalation, if needed at all. These are silly tech stuff which only someone from that field could explain completely, but completely rectifiable.

@ Condor, the issue is not MAC here. Let's not divert the talk in that direction. It has something to do with the cabling or on the exchange side and has got nothing to do with the connection type or O/S or router.

Last edited by given2fly : 7th June 2009 at 11:33.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:30   #13
Team-BHP Support

I'll do that. But this is happening after two years of trouble free use. I suspect the problem is somewhere outside my machine.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:30   #14
BHPian

Oh ok.
I recently had an issue with my connection and low speeds. They reinstalled the whole setup, updated the router,and also security settings and it was back to normal.In any case do update us on what the engineers do and like someone said please be cautious if they are tinkering with a mac especially if they are unfamiliar.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

Ahem, I have been using Airtel ADSL for 4 years and I have seen this problem before. In fact, they call it to be some problem with the copper. The connection between the router and the POP sometimes get weak/disrupted due to rain. They have standard tools to check this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks