Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 16:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Airport Pick-up Nightmares

Hi! Last night I was bugged enough to start this thread about the newish parking and pick-up arrangenment at the international terminal. After comming out from the terminal, it took 45 minutes for the car to come, get in and drive off.

Earlier, packing was in an open space littered with construction material. At the worst case it would take 15 minutes of lining up and proceeding to enter and park. BUT NOW they have put up a new parking arrangement, a multilevel parking. This was built from scratch, that means they had a fresh piece of paper to start with. This is important to note, because for every ailment at the Mumbai airport, and there are many, they blame the existing structures.

The entrance to this parking is the wrong way, you have to turn around to get in. That this where the first queue's form, to collect your token. Here you may line up for upto 20 minutes to get in. Once in, you will find barricades all over and people directing you, sometimes they want you to go to the next level though there is space still available on the present level. Then you park your car and go to receive your passenger. Once you have met, you ask him to wait and fetch your car. This takes upto 45 minutes because the place is absolutely chaotic. You drive out over several loops, something like the Matchbox toyset we had over 30 years ago. So this could be fun, except that you are again in a 'Q' when you bring your car out. So you crawl along till you reach a parking bay. There are about 25 to 30 parking bays, always full. As a car leaves, you slip in to park. There are about THIRTY people to move the cars. They are always shouting, whistling, and picking fights:ofcourse only with the weak, like drivers. If you see your guest while waiting to find a bay, they will not allow you to pick the passenger on the driveway and bang on your car till the door is closed. You must only open it at the parking bay. Once you park, you go to find your passenger because he may be standing at one end, you got parking at the other end. Not a problem when there are no people, but when some plane loads arrive, it will take you upto 15 minutes to bring the luggauge trolly to the car. Meanwhile, there are pillars between these bays, and you have to park by turning in at an angle. Thus that you get very close to the car on your right. So you maneuver to place your car properly or you simply bang your door into the car next to you. Not an issue for tourist taxis. And then you leave.
Once, when I was held up at the parking entrance, slowly creeping in, my guest came outside and called on the cell. Now I did not want to park, just pick him up, but still I had to take my car through the parking lot, take a tag and wait in lines because there was no other way. And, for information to all, if you are in the parking structure for less than 10 minutes, it costs you nothing. But you are forced to patronise them.

I tried to describe the conditions over there, but I am sure that others have experienced something similar and were frustrated. Sometimes I feel that our railway stations are better organised, and they get trainloads of people every few minutes and each train load is much more than a plane load. The thirty people moving cars wear a "Security" tag, that means that thirty people are doing what they were not meant to do, so security may be compromised.

This parking arrangement seems to have been designed by amateurs who have no idea about planning with cars and people in mind. The airport is pathetic, and the only sections functioning seem to be the immigration (very efficient), the customs (very smooth), baggage (quite fast) and air traffic contollers (only near misses).

Mumbai Airport is baaaaaaad!!
Looking forward to some comments.

harit
Old 8th June 2009, 10:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

This is Incredible India!

Looks like there is a lot of improvement in Bombay International terminal, used to take upto 60 minutes to reach the parking bay earlier!

But seriously, whether public sector or private sector, quality of service is equally bad and people as callous as ever. This sort of situation is not just a blame on design, it is also the irreverent and indifferent approach with which many of these issues are tackled.

How do you explain this - the Immigration where teh desks are manned by government officers is terrific, clearing off passengers in super-quick time, but the baggage clearance is terrible, takes upto 1.5 hours sometimes to collect your baggage, and this is privatised!

Last edited by hvkumar : 8th June 2009 at 10:36.
Old 8th June 2009, 11:01   #3
BHPian

I think it is all based on the design and planning of the airport and its associated facilities. From my experience, the new airport in Hyderabad is vast, but well planned (once you get used to the layout!). I've been there 3 time to pick up people (domestic and international) and I've not had any problems in terms of parking and time spent. Infact I have had problems coming out as I get lost identifying the exit path from the parking lot! From what I've heard, the new airport in Bangalore is pretty smooth as well.

As to the baggage pick-up facilities, in both airports, most of the times it is already there by the time you reach the terminal, or at most you need to wait for 2-3 minutes.

Last edited by DriverR : 8th June 2009 at 11:02.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

My Suggestion (Maybe radical but worth a thought)- Park your car at Leela. Take a taxi from there to Airport. receive your guest. Come to Leela by Taxi and drive your car along with your guest.
Old 8th June 2009, 12:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

I saw a few cars parked on the left as you come out of the international terminal. Mostly cabs from star hotels. Is that prime parking ?
Old 8th June 2009, 12:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

I laughed when i had gone to pick up someone from the international airport,we just try to copy and not understand the needs and operation,its like solving a puzzle and driving thru to get out
Old 8th June 2009, 14:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How do you explain this - the Immigration where teh desks are manned by government officers is terrific, clearing off passengers in super-quick time,
I agree. The past year or two have really changed the immigration process, both in and out. The officers are polite, often smiling and very quick.
Customs is a similar story, with the officers being quick, not harassing the public and being very polite to those that need to pay duty.

My compliments to the immigration and customs officers at Mumbai airport.
Old 8th June 2009, 14:21   #8
BHPian

You cant take the guest along to the parking lot? How about places where you can leave the luggage trolley in the parking lot so this can be done?
Old 8th June 2009, 14:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its same at Delhi. It took me almost 45 minutes to get my car parked and more than an hour to get out of airport parking. Its a MESS.

Delhi Airport is like a Railway Station.
Old 8th June 2009, 18:10   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Precisely the reason why:

- If I'm flying, it's either the driver / Meru cabs

- If I'm dropping someone off, straight to the entrance gate + farewell.

The que at the parking lot exit is a good 30 minutes long after 2200 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
The past year or two have really changed the immigration process, both in and out. The officers are polite, often smiling and very quick.
+1 to that. Immigration is completed in a matter of minutes now.
Old 8th June 2009, 18:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Its same at Delhi. It took me almost 45 minutes to get my car parked and more than an hour to get out of airport parking. Its a MESS.

When was this abhi.
The situation was quite good when i came back from Mumbai a week ago.
Old 8th June 2009, 18:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

Have they changed from the open plan carpark at IGIA ? sed to be a doddle getting in and out of that carpark apart from the short trek from the airport to the carpark with a loaded trolley and all the idiots in the car park pretending they were customs officers to make a quick buck out of passengers.
Old 9th June 2009, 00:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Precisely the reason why:

- If I'm flying, it's either the driver / Meru cabs

- If I'm dropping someone off, straight to the entrance gate + farewell.

The que at the parking lot exit is a good 30 minutes long after 2200 hours.

+1 to that. Immigration is completed in a matter of minutes now.
What do you do for pickup? Actually that was the point, almost all other purposes to visit the airport are relatively hassle free.
Old 9th June 2009, 08:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

The situation was very similar in the old Bangalore airport. Taxi drivers and sometimes even Auto's Que up the parking slots.. I have been late to pick up/drop or even while im flying almost n number of times.
Thank god for the new airport. Its very organized and large open spaces to park in. so no congestion at all.
I curse those imbecile's who wanted to keep the old airport open.
Old 9th June 2009, 08:46   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
The situation was very similar in the old Bangalore airport. Taxi drivers and sometimes even Auto's Que up the parking slots.. I have been late to pick up/drop or even while im flying almost n number of times..
Not to mention "ammonia avenue" where your guests need to wait while you extract your car from the car park. IMHO. I get home quicker from the new airport as opposed to the HAL airport despite the 30km difference

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks