Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2017, 10:51   #601
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,639
Thanked: 997 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
A bit off topic :

Can we deposit a Post Office Savings account Cheque in either SBI or HDFC or any nationalized bank ?

Reason for asking is a few of my NSC are getting matured and need the funds. We dont want to carry the cash from Post office and deposit in the bank.

Not sure if RBI has provided the banking license to India Post for seamless banking transactions.

Appreciate your help
I've never received a Post Office cheque on NSC maturity. I have received SBI cheques from the PO on maturity. I believe they maintain accounts with nationalized banks in the name of the postmaster of the branch.

One of them also did a fund transfer to my account - it was actually done from the GPO. But the next time they gave me a cheque and refused an online transfer.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:00   #602
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 692
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I've never received a Post Office cheque on NSC maturity. I have received SBI cheques from the PO on maturity. I believe they maintain accounts with nationalized banks in the name of the postmaster of the branch. But the next time they gave me a cheque and refused an online transfer.
Receipt of SBI cheque is news to me. Earlier, whenever the NSC got matured, the funds used to get transferred to Post Office Savings account from which we could withdraw with the withdrawal slip.

If Post office provides SBI cheque, it will work wonders. Not sure if it is applicable to all post offices in current scenerio

Appreciate your kind reply
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:21   #603
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,639
Thanked: 997 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Receipt of SBI cheque is news to me. Earlier, whenever the NSC got matured, the funds used to get transferred to Post Office Savings account from which we could withdraw with the withdrawal slip.

If Post office provides SBI cheque, it will work wonders. Not sure if it is applicable to all post offices in current scenerio

Appreciate your kind reply
I have a PO savings account but never transferred the maturity amount to it due to cash handling problems , just like you. I've insisted on a cheque or fund transfer , and the cheque has always been from a Nationalised Bank. That has been my experience in Bangalore.

The best thing to do would be to inquire at the branch and find out the options they have. They might prefer a transfer to the PO savings account as that's the easiest option for them, but do insist that won't work for you.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 3rd January 2017 at 11:24.
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 14:28   #604
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 46
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
A bit off topic :

Can we deposit a Post Office Savings account Cheque in either SBI or HDFC or any nationalized bank ?

Reason for asking is a few of my NSC are getting matured and need the funds. We dont want to carry the cash from Post office and deposit in the bank.

Not sure if RBI has provided the banking license to India Post for seamless banking transactions.

Appreciate your help
This was very much possible pre CTS era, not sure if this will work now.
My PO in Bangalore are more than happy to provide a Cheque(SBI in my case) in my name, which got cleared in the normal process.
#win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 18:17   #605
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 51
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Anyone has any recommendation for a decent Financial Planner in Bangalore, whom you have used or had good experience with? I searched some time for Certified Financial Planners in Bangalore, but getting mixed information.
I'm planning to start investing, and have been suggested to take services of a for-fee-financial-adviser, rather than shortlisting funds myself.
Any other insights are also welcome!
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 18:34   #606
BHPian
 
scorpion_blore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Anyone has any recommendation for a decent Financial Planner in Bangalore, whom you have used or had good experience with? I searched some time for Certified Financial Planners in Bangalore, but getting mixed information.
I'm planning to start investing, and have been suggested to take services of a for-fee-financial-adviser, rather than shortlisting funds myself.
Any other insights are also welcome!
Honestly, you don't need a financial planner to identify good funds. There are tons of information available online to identify good funds. But it does take some effort from your end. I use Value Research Online and FundsIndia.
Just my 2 cents!
scorpion_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 13:40   #607
Senior - BHPian
 
Latheesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore/Kannur
Posts: 3,202
Thanked: 3,427 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Query related to EPF-VPF-PPF

In additions to regular EPF contributions I have VPF contributions (company PF trust) since few years. I have never thought of PPF at all.

I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of VPF vs PPF. My current VPF contribution is ~ 19% of my monthly savings.

Last edited by Latheesh : 21st November 2017 at 13:44.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 14:04   #608
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,158
Thanked: 4,606 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Query related to EPF-VPF-PPF

In additions to regular EPF contributions I have VPF contributions (company PF trust) since few years. I have never thought of PPF at all.

I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of VPF vs PPF. My current VPF contribution is ~ 19% of my monthly savings.
Pretty decent comparisons here and here.

Some salient points:

Quote:
  • VPF only possible for salaried individuals through monthly salary deductions, PPF can be done by anyone independently and lumpsum.
  • PPF contribution is capped on yearly basis (1.5L currently), VPF can be anything upto 100% of your Basic Salary + DA.
  • Sec. 80C Tax benefit for entire 1.5L/year in PPF, only upto 1L/year in EPF/VPF.
  • PPF has a lock-in period (15 years, with 50% withdrawal allowed after 6 years), VPF has no lock-in and can be withdrawn on retirement or resignation.
  • PPF is completely tax-free, VPF is taxable for a continuous contribution period less than 5 years (same as EPF).
  • Easier to take a loan against EPF/VPF, loans against PPF are more restricted.
  • VPF currently pays a marginally better rate Vs. PPF (8.65% Vs. 8.1% current FY).

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st November 2017 at 14:15.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2017, 14:29   #609
BHPian
 
kavensri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bengalooru/KA17
Posts: 167
Thanked: 125 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Pretty decent comparisons here and here.

Some salient points:
One small clarification. Though the maximum contribution for VPF is 100%, (it looks like) a trust can impose it's own cap. For example, my company has it's own PF trust and it has imposed a maximum cap of 28%. This is what I got to know through our finance person.
kavensri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 17:02   #610
BHPian
 
rajathv8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 256
Thanked: 259 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

While filing IT returns what is the correct way of arriving at the total interest from FDs in SBI:
1. Download "Interest Certificate" from net banking site
2. Get TDS certificate from bank branch

Last edited by rajathv8 : 23rd November 2017 at 17:04.
rajathv8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 19:41   #611
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,232
Thanked: 2,485 Times
Smile Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
While filing IT returns what is the correct way of arriving at the total interest from FDs in SBI:
1. Download "Interest Certificate" from net banking site
2. Get TDS certificate from bank branch
I generally get all the details from Form 26AS where the TDS deducted is also displayed. Makes tax calculations lot simpler. Just ensure that you pick up the FD interest for the relevant assessment year.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 12:11   #612
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 240
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Investment Experts, request your evaluation of how do you see LICs Jeevan Akshay VI - "Plan (vii) Annuity payable for life with 100% annuity payable to spouse on death of annuitant with ROC on death of Last Survivor"

Just had friendly agent brief me about this.

The illustration shows for 34 yrs old, for 10Lac plan, immediate annuity of 69K for investor, then same for the surviving spouse and then return of premium to the kids.

The investor is in 10% tax bracket and getting the corpus from a maturing ULIP.
sindabad.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 12:16   #613
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 2,869 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Don't waste your money on any LIC or other insurer policy that mixes insurance and investment. Especially not Jeevan Akshay which is being heavily oversold by agents possibly due to high commissions.

http://www.moneylife.in/article/lic-...-vi/29662.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Investment Experts, request your evaluation of how do you see LICs Jeevan Akshay VI - "Plan (vii) Annuity payable for life with 100% annuity payable to spouse on death of annuitant with ROC on death of Last Survivor"

Just had friendly agent brief me about this.

The illustration shows for 34 yrs old, for 10Lac plan, immediate annuity of 69K for investor, then same for the surviving spouse and then return of premium to the kids.

The investor is in 10% tax bracket and getting the corpus from a maturing ULIP.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 12:54   #614
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 240
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Don't waste your money on any LIC or other insurer policy that mixes insurance and investment. Especially not Jeevan Akshay which is being heavily oversold by agents possibly due to high commissions.

http://www.moneylife.in/article/lic-...-vi/29662.html
Thanks for your advice.

Took time to go through the link which basically revolves around LIC capitalising on fear of reducing interest rates. The article states that FDs in US drew between 5-7% 10 times in last 20 years.
I was bit surprised. I was in UK for last 3 years and had explored hard there. Never found an FD product that gave returns one tenth of quoted except ISA which is an instrument to get phenomenal returns but then returns can be used for buying homes only.

Nevertheless, the friend planning this is an NRI, has decent exposure to MF and direct equity and was looking to diversify investments. Friendly agent told that service tax is reduced for NRI's investing through NRE a/c and if the investor in is india at the time of the investment, returns are even better which frankly speaking he couldnot elaborate.

Friendly agent advised to go Onlineway to get 1% higher annuity over going through agent.

With all above, around 7% assured returns for next 35-40 years at least and then refund of entire premium, does it still sound bad.

Just that I did not want to write off, hence the repeat and pointed query.
sindabad.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 13:02   #615
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 2,869 Times
Default Re: Income Tax savings, Investments and Insurance

I can still think of other avenues for his cash - especially because this is taxed as well, so effective rate of return is actually lower.

Is all this money in India rather than the USA? He might consider buying a house especially as real estate prices have been crashing in India while the USD has been appreciating against the Rupee (assuming USD, please check what his country's currency is versus the Rupee).

Normally buying a house isn't what I'd call an investment but well .. if he wants to settle in India it might be worth considering.

Also - if he was already in ULIPs that's a dead loss for him, relatively speaking so he needs a better performing investment. MF / Equity right now, carefully adding to his existing investments, might be an idea, if the amount in question is relatively small and he doesn't mind risking it.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Income Tax Queries (refunds, disputes, rates etc...) LLL Shifting gears 1441 5th September 2018 20:25
Tax on Tax? Road tax should be calculated on ex-factory price (not ex-showroom)! SILVERWOOD The Indian Car Scene 88 15th July 2018 17:14
Luxury cars outnumber tax-paying millionaires! Income tax evasion? Nav-i-gator Shifting gears 26 7th May 2016 09:35
Govt. to remove income tax exemptions and deductions. Please comment against it..... satish_appasani Shifting gears 15 15th May 2007 21:13
Road tax or income tax? SLK The Indian Car Scene 6 5th October 2004 14:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks