Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 21:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Insurance for Electronics?

I have a Bravia Tv that cost me upwards of a Lac and ten, and it is now out of warranty.
Trouble is, Sony LCD's are now famous for going kaput and JUST not turning on.
I hope my one year old tv doesnt go kaput like that, since its an expensive proposition to repair it.
BUT, just in case it does, can anyone help me with an insurance agent or an insurance company that insures expensive electric goods like TVs and fridges?
I wouldnt mind paying a premium monthly, rather than pay 15-20k at once on the tv for repairs!
Old 20th June 2009, 21:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

I suggest you go for annual maintenance contract
Check with SONY Service whether they offer such a service
this is more effective than insurance
Philips used to offer such a maintenance service once the product is out of warrantee at a nominal cost.
Old 20th June 2009, 22:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

I don't think Sony offers AMC. I wouldn't mind going for the AMC but then they should atleast answer calls.

My Bravia LCD went kaput yesterday. Tried turning it on and the damn unit doesn't turn on at all. No activity at all. I feel the power supply unit has some issue as unit is not getting power even for the red standby LED to come on.

Sad thing is warranty expired 2 months back. Tried calling Sony helpline today and was made to hear kenny G and a repeated message every 10secs that all executives are busy, hold on. I waited on hold for 1hr 20mins. Then called up the corporate office gave them a piece of my mind. They lodged the complaint and I got a call 3 hours later asking what the issue was and since unit was out of warranty it would cost Rs.1,000 inspection charges + cost of any parts. They said engineer would come home today and fix it. He was supposed to call and fix up an appointment. After that noone came nor anyone called.

Outright ridiculous service for a 1Lac product and the fact you pay a premium for the stupid Sony brand.
Old 20th June 2009, 23:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Buy home Insurance. With home insurance you can add rider of "Electronics breakdown".
Cost would be 2 - 3% of value of electronics item. That covers theft as well as repair costs in case of failure.

Catch is, you have to pay first 2,500 Rs so minor repairs are not covered.

I have used Bajaj Allianz in past. Never had to make a claim so not sure how good/bad is their claim process.
Old 20th June 2009, 23:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

i shall call up bajaj allianz first thing monday..
need to ask them what the procedure is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks