Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2009, 10:21   #1
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Stickers on cars require permission!

I had read in a Newspaper that we are not allowed to place stickers on front and rear windshields.
Also it requires permission from the RTO if the sticker is for a website since it amounts to advertising.

Read this:
P S Pasricha, former deputy commissioner of Mumbai traffic police
"Any sticker you put on a vehicle has to be placed correctly — not on the front and back windshields. For that, you require permission from the RTO. It should be placed on the body of the car. It depends on where it is placed, how big it is and if it causes any distraction. If it is from the website, it amounts to advertising and you require permission from the RTO to advertise on private vehicles because the laws and taxes are different. Acquiring permission won't be simple and it will be very expensive. If such a proposal is put forth, the RTO can look into it. But I don't think private cars will be given permission. It will not be attainable."

Source:MiD DAY on the Web - E-paper- Digital Paper : Mumbai

I thought of posting this information (though its a week old) here because many members have been using their windshields for displaying T-BHP stickers.

Mods:If similar information is already avaialble you may do the needful.
Old 5th July 2009, 11:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

What a tub of bull. What we do with our cars is our problem. It's private property and they should have no right to impose any such law on it. Perhaps a lawyer can clarify?
Old 5th July 2009, 12:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
What a tub of bull. What we do with our cars is our problem. It's private property and they should have no right to impose any such law on it. Perhaps a lawyer can clarify?
meaning you can black out the windshield and drive?

nope, these are safety regulations and I think logical too. visibility of the glasses on all sides IS traffic police's business.

I know california bans sticking any suction mounts to windshield.

EDIT: the advertising bit is illogical though.

MORE EDIT: given our police and politicians penchant for "revenue", I won't be surprised if it's stated as a rule and rigorously followed in those times of the month.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 5th July 2009 at 12:13.
Old 5th July 2009, 12:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

Do they want rioting in Chennai.
Almost every autorickshaw has about 50% or more space covered with stickers on the wind shields.
Old 5th July 2009, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
meaning you can black out the windshield and drive?

nope, these are safety regulations and I think logical too. visibility of the glasses on all sides IS traffic police's business.

I know california bans sticking any suction mounts to windshield.

EDIT: the advertising bit is illogical though.

MORE EDIT: given our police and politicians penchant for "revenue", I won't be surprised if it's stated as a rule and rigorously followed in those times of the month.
If the said blacked-out windshield causes bad visibility to the driver and causes an accident, sue the pants off him. If I'm sticking a small 2x10inch sticker anywhere on the edge of my windshield, it's harmless. The government could have made the law in such a way that putting sticker should only be allowed at the edges of the windshield or something. Bans and absolute prohibition are nothing more than blatant censorship and are just made to fill up the government's coffers and politicians' pockets.
Old 5th July 2009, 12:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

If this is so then they should first go catch dealerships and service stations that put their stickers with huge cell phone numbers all over the car.
Old 5th July 2009, 13:00   #7
BANNED

Since the link in the first post was leading to the home page of the news paper, and not the actual article, I googled. Guess what came up first?

This thread.

There is also a link to the middaytimes page, which is an article about "drive by dating".

I guess this thread is a prime candidate for being closed. Will the mods please note?
Old 5th July 2009, 13:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

I thinks it's time the RTO is scrapped. They are just going way overboard with silly rules.
If someone gets "distracted" by stickers, he or she should not be driving.
Hope someone in the RTO is reading this.
Old 5th July 2009, 13:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do they want rioting in Chennai.
Almost every autorickshaw has about 50% or more space covered with stickers on the wind shields.
Respected Sir, This is in context with a autorickshaw wind shield I saw in Aurangabad I should have photographed it but I was not carrying my camera. This bloke had covered entire front glass along with both side curved acrylic glasses with darkest shade of suncontrol film and then a strip of 4" was cut off at exact eye level of the driver all the rest of areas with dark shade was covered with stickers of shahrukh khan pointing his finger at the cut portion of the suncontrol film as if pointing out there is a special person inside on the driver seat and the fellow was chatting with traffic cops at a kranti chowk round about. If this is permitted then what a small stickers will make a difference.You wil find a sticker of a dealer at back of your car every time it goes for service.
Old 5th July 2009, 14:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

All car accessories shops stick them on when your car goes there for fitting ICE etc too.
Old 5th July 2009, 16:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Any advertisement put anywhere requires you to pay some tax to the govt. If you paint your compound wall with some ad, the municipality or panchayat will ask you to pay tax. All advettising agencies are aware of it. It's also applicable to vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
I had read in a Newspaper that we are not allowed to place stickers on front and rear windshields.
Also it requires permission from the RTO if the sticker is for a website since it amounts to advertising.
Well then even the TBHP stickers are not allowed. So everyone, please take RTO permission and pay tax.
Old 5th July 2009, 18:32   #12
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Well then even the TBHP stickers are not allowed. So everyone, please take RTO permission and pay tax.
That was my exact point. I didn't want any one from TBHP to get into trouble.

You may be knowing the cops well, 1st they catch you and ask for papers,if nothing is wrong they ask for PUC certificate and what not and finally they'll make you pay for something.
So if they want to make money they can use this rule and ask you to pay.
Though never heard of any such cases but who knows what might be their next step.
Old 5th July 2009, 18:55   #13
Senior - BHPian

what tax. We are paid a negative amount for advertising the team bhp stickers ( ie we pay to have these stickers)
I think the tax should therefore be a negative amount too
Old 6th July 2009, 00:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

what about these pass and PUC sticker.
Old 6th July 2009, 07:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

now a new rule will come saying a woman cannot sit next to a man while he is driving because she is too distracting
lame excuse for a rule.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks