Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 14:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

The MIG-21 is still capable in hands of more experienced pilots. I am sure they can help us defend ourselves till our neighborhood country Pakistan gets better machines. The most useful aspect is the quickness of this machine. I think this is one machine that has played a good role in 1965 and 1971.

@jim : Very very informative posts. Rating this thread 5-star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
get your facts right dude.

As per the initial requirement of the IAF, the fighter was developed to produce 6 gs and now the IAF has moved the goalposts to 9gs and hence the hunt for a more powerful engine leading to delays (last heard EADS -the people who supply engines to the Eurofighter typhoon, will be developing a new engine for the LCA)
OT :
I used to read Outlook magazine. Dont know how is its accuracy, but they clearly claimed the first flight was quite a time back and I think its pretty obvious that the LCA is delayed.
About engine, I read quite a time ago that engine named " kaveri " were developed for this aircraft. I dont know if this ever materialized or not.
This is the result of slow development. By the time you are up and running with one things, the next is available. One has to be quick.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th July 2009 at 14:03.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

OT :
I used to read Outlook magazine. Dont know how is its accuracy, but they clearly claimed the first flight was quite a time back and I think its pretty obvious that the LCA is delayed.
About engine, I read quite a time ago that engine named " kaveri " were developed for this aircraft. I dont know if this ever materialized or not.
This is the result of slow development. By the time you are up and running with one things, the next is available. One has to be quick.
Dont believe most stuff you read in the press esp the likes of Outlook.

Kaveri was the initial planned engine for the LCA but international sanctions on tech transfer and collaborations have led to a delay. Now, HAL has put the kaveri on the backburner since the IAF's new requirements call for far greater thrust than what the Kaveri was designed for. Hence, HAL is now scouting for an off the shelf engine for LCA Mk1 and for joint dev for LCA Mk2. EADS and GE are in the race.

so yes, the LCA is delayed, but a part of that is due to the IAF itself. I come from a family of armed forces aviators (both army and airforce) and am very close friends with a test pilot for the LCA and from what I have seen and discussed with people who have knowledge of the LCA project, the aircraft is a joy to fly and very very agile. It is an apt replacement for the Mig21 in the years to come and will complement the IAF pretty well with the SU30 (deep strike aircraft) , the MMRCA (int he medium weight category- I am hoping this goes to the Rafale- it seems the perfect fit for the IAF and is lethal with its AESA radards and BVR missiles)

Also, the LCAMk2 is already being developed as is the naval version of teh IAF that will complement the mig 29k that will operate from INS Vikramaditya and the new upcoming INS Vikrant.

So have faith in our scientists- der aaye par durust aaye
Old 29th July 2009, 15:02   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing review Jimmy. Thanks for putting this together. I think this would be a first on TBHP after we got a review of a Naval Ship in the recent past.

Himanshu Paaji, didnt know you had so much gyaan on fighter planes. Great stuff
Old 12th December 2013, 15:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: Single Engine Fighter Review: the MiG 21

Beginning of the end of an iconic machine:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/27230270.cms

Cheers,
Vikram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks