Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2005, 16:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

L- Board

Last year I joined a driving school to learn four wheel driving. It was with an Old Maruti 800, which refuses to run even if you stand on the acceleration pedal. The guy who used to take class just control the vehicle with the Clutch and brake pedal on the LHS. I got steering control to some extent & not comfort with the pedal control and other stuffs. But managed to get a license

After releasing the order for Swift, I was raring to go on the wheels. I joined a different driving school for a short-term learning (10 days) & could feel the difference right from the day one.

For the past 10 days, Iam driving my Swift to office with my friend for morale boosting sitting next to me.

Today is the last day for the driving class. Just enquired with him " Will there be any need to extend the class". He replied " You can manage with your new car, If interested we will train you on level-2 for the next 10 days, which will be on heavy city traffic, reverse practice between polls, etc etc"

He will charge me Rs.1000/- for that, which I do not mind paying. But definitely Iam bothered about the time I spend for this (45 mins).

Just want to check with you guys, whether is it worth joining or learn by myself with my car

Last edited by Surprise : 29th June 2005 at 16:51.
Old 29th June 2005, 17:30   #2
Team-BHP Support

start slow and learn yourself.. now that you have picked up the basics, just be careful and it will all come naturally to you. personally i havnt come across a decent driving school tutor, i guess they are one of the worst lot that contribute to nonsense on our roads..
Old 29th June 2005, 17:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
personally i havnt come across a decent driving school tutor, i guess they are one of the worst lot that contribute to nonsense on our roads..
I sat with the driver who was teaching my wife driving. The way he taught her was really bad. He was more or less asking her to drive without caring for the traffic rules. He never even told her about any traffic rules. I then went ahead and talked to her about rules myself. The problem with me is that I can drive, but I am not a good teacher. That was one of the reasons why I didn't teach my wife how to drive. But at the end of her classes, she was a confused lot.

My suggestion is that if you want to really learn driving, join one of those maruti driving schools where they simulate real world conditions and allow you to drive. I believe they even give you your progress report.

If you are confident about your basics, you can always pick up driving on your own. I guess you are better off without these driving teachers.
Old 29th June 2005, 22:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

I learnt how to drive in Gurgaon which is probably the worst place to drive from OM driving school . I paid 1800 for 15 sessions in a Santro. The guy made me spend one class learning how to steer, two learning how to turn and then learnt how to operate the clutch. Once I got the clutch funda right I practised on my car with my mum and didnt really need any classes after that. I strongly feel one should not learn from a family member as they tend to get really hyper and kinda discourrage and scare you. Also when you go for these classes its better to go alone cos as it is the instructor does a lot of ":backseat:" driving and with another family member it becomes worse. My Mum was quite eager to come for the classes atleast but I insisted on going on my own. The schools are good just for the basics and the other technicalities can be learnt after the basios from a family member or somthing.
Old 29th June 2005, 22:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

personally i feel driving schools are good for basics ...

driving in traffic is something you yourself can learn out of experience it cannot be taught ...

take it easy take it slow ..you will gain confidence in no time ..

rest is up to you ..your the best judge ..
Old 30th June 2005, 13:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hey Suprise,

It seems like you are aldready good enough to drive around, now its just a matter of getting some road miles and gaining confidence in your driving abilities.

My advice is - If you are a bit shaky about peak traffic driving, or parking, go ahead and take that course....i mean it is only 10 days and Rs1000. Whereas if you were uncertain about all this and were trying it in your brand new swift a scratch would hurt much more than 45 mins a day for 10 days + Rs 1k.

Also, leave the L plates on your car for some time till you get confident....it scares cars around you and they will keep their distance

cya
R
Old 30th June 2005, 13:42   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, leave the L plates on your car for some time till you get confident....it scares cars around you and they will keep their distance
Yes, but it also serves as an amusement to certain people who take great pleasure in messing with learners!
Old 30th June 2005, 14:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
start slow and learn yourself.. now that you have picked up the basics, just be careful and it will all come naturally to you. personally i havnt come across a decent driving school tutor, i guess they are one of the worst lot that contribute to nonsense on our roads..
I agree!! Don't blow more money on this "2nd level" course. Personally, I think these so called trainers are nincompoops. :(

They just sit there nonchalantly and do nothing until you're about to crash your space shuttle. Besides, they'll be training you on their rat-trap car, while you need some quality time with your splendid Swift. A good driver is a dwindling breed. Teach yourself all the traffic rules, rather than depending on those trainers.

Last edited by camry93 : 30th June 2005 at 14:14.
Old 30th June 2005, 14:29   #9
BHPian

There are several aspects to knowing how to drive:

1) driving technique/ skill... (of varying degrees, from low to high)
2) road sense... and
3) awareness of and respect for traffic rules...

Here, mostly driving is equated to the first one.

99% of the drivers quickly learn (1) but are completely ignorant of the other two. Most never get to a point where they are profient in all three!

- mvk

Last edited by DrunkenMonk : 30th June 2005 at 14:32.
Old 30th June 2005, 14:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Surprise,

I also think you should go for that course (10 days/INR 1 k).

Driving in a Metro is always a challenge for your nerves and really a taxing thing as there is no margin for error. So practice as much as you can. Though reverse is not that much crucial, it is also an important factor so you can consider it as a bonus.

The bottom line is - Drive AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Whereever, whenever, whatever possible- even if you have to beg, steal or rob!

All the best.
Old 5th July 2005, 16:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
The bottom line is - Drive AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Whereever, whenever, whatever possible- even if you have to beg, steal or rob!

All the best.
This is exactly what the tutor said when I checked with him on taking next level course on completion of my course last evening.

He certified me that I can drive the vehicle on my own & advised me to drive slow till I took the full control and confidence. He added that learning to take the full control by driving slow will shape me as a better driver. I have never crossed 50 in my new Swift which was due for first service ( completed 1000 kms)

Thanks for all your feedbacks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks