Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 19:26   #1
BHPian

Car wash at A.S.S- How good are they?

Hi all,

I am the owner of a Black car who keeps his car far, far away from swirls marks by taking proper car, washing it often, waxing, using microfibers so that there are no new swirls.

I've started taking EXTRA care after i got a swirl removal treatment from 3M,
I wanted to know the exact procedure how the people at A.S.S wash and dry a car, i've seen Hyundai people washing the car with high water pressure and drying with a cotton towel which has been drying cars ever since the service station opened! whitout even knowing what swirl marks and scratches caused by a dirty cloth are.

Coming to my question, Hyundai has a free check up camp across all the hyundai A.S.S in India and they offer free car check up, discount on labor, discount on spare parts, discount on extended warranty and a FREE CAR WASH,
I plan to get my car a check up and a minor electrical repair, Should i go for the car wash too? I'm too scared of the swirl marks.

I told to myself that i'm not gonna see any swirls before the next 6 months because the next service is scheduled after 6 months.

Am i just blind to observe the care being taken by the A.S.S people or do they not care so much like i observed?
Old 17th September 2009, 19:31   #2
BHPian

The service center guys just do pressure wash and wipe the car dry. They are least bothered about swirl marks. Ask them not to wash the car during free check up.
Old 17th September 2009, 19:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm not 100% sure... but I believe my MASS dries the car by blowing high pressure air. They have an automatic car washing machine. If your A S S is doing it this way, I'd think it should be ok. But to make doubly sure, you would need to be present when they do it.
Old 17th September 2009, 19:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
The service center guys just do pressure wash and wipe the car dry. They are least bothered about swirl marks. Ask them not to wash the car during free check up.
+1 . I give clear instructions to the A.S.S guys not to wash my car !

1. They are expensive
2. They dont wash well or clean the interiors well

Last edited by vdiatech : 17th September 2009 at 19:52.
Old 17th September 2009, 19:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I don't think its right to advice anybody based on generalization that all of them do a bad job. My MASS does a reasonably good job of cleaning both the exterior and interior as well. And its part of the servicing and so I don't know what it costs seperately. On 2 - 3 occasions they even washed it for free. The earlier one used to do a shabby job... even used to put wet dripping mats right in the car making the carpet wet!!!

It all depends where you do it and the quality of their work.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ I don't think its right to advice anybody based on generalization that all of them do a bad job. My MASS does a reasonably good job of cleaning both the exterior and interior as well.

It all depends where you do it and the quality of their work.
He is worried about swirl marks and that too on a black car. Swirl marks are a given if you are not really really careful. In automatic car washing systems, the chances might be less. Never seen one, so can't comment. But, with the usual pressure wash and a guy running around rubbing the car dry, swirls happen.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
+1 . I give clear instructions to the A.S.S guys not to wash my car !

1. They are expensive
2. They dont wash well or clean the interiors well
These jokers at *** of Maruti just pressurewash with plain water and if you have a stopwatch you will find your car is washed in less then 10 to 14 minutes flat no deisel or kerosene used to remove stbburn oilstains in the engine and tar marks on the body, no shampoo is used to wash if you ask about shampoo their so called service providers will say that useing shampoos will kill the paint shine, and look who is talking they are selling away free maruti approved shampoos to the customers, after 10 to 14 minutes the car dripping of water is driven away and a unskilled joker will come with a worn out cloth and start wiping the car and in the end you will get yet a damp car FULLY WASHED BY A.S.S.
Old 17th September 2009, 22:26   #8
BHPian

Do people at A.S.S use kerosene or diesel to clean the body?
I just remembered a car was being wiped with a liquid which looked something like petrol! After my previous service, the car's surface was not smooth at all, It felt like all the wax was removed.

Its high time A.S.S implement professional washing method and stop the cab drivers' method
Old 17th September 2009, 23:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
These jokers at *** of Maruti just pressurewash with plain water and if you have a stopwatch you will find your car is washed in less then 10 to 14 minutes flat no deisel or kerosene used to remove stbburn oilstains in the engine and tar marks on the body, no shampoo is used to wash if you ask about shampoo their so called service providers will say that useing shampoos will kill the paint shine, and look who is talking they are selling away free maruti approved shampoos to the customers, after 10 to 14 minutes the car dripping of water is driven away and a unskilled joker will come with a worn out cloth and start wiping the car and in the end you will get yet a damp car FULLY WASHED BY A.S.S.
Thats really bad. Guess I'm lucky that my MASS does the job a lot better. And yes, they do use diesel for stubborn stains. The way for you would be to insist that they dry it by blowing air... thats by far the safest way to do it. Find a better A.S.S. if possible.

Last edited by Raccoon : 18th September 2009 at 00:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks